The Student Room Group

Advice needed on Engineering books

I hope its the right forum for this question.

I want to teach myself as much as possible about engineering (more weight on mechanic e. than electronic e.). Which books would you recommend? Which books do you use at university? The book should cover most things that are also discussed at BSc level.

Could you guys -and girls- give me some advice?
2nd question to those who really study engineering (Mech. or Elec. or related): Are you happy with your course? Do you feel you studied useful things?

Thanks in advance :yes:
I'm studying Electrical Engineering. I am very happy with my course, and yes I do believe I'm learning useful things.

With regards to your question, what area of interest within MechE or ElecE are you looking at? For example, if you asked me what are good books for EE, my area is digital/analog communications, and I have a couple books that I quite like. Before we can recommend something, what area are you interested in?
Reply 2
strawberry
I'm studying Electrical Engineering. I am very happy with my course, and yes I do believe I'm learning useful things.

With regards to your question, what area of interest within MechE or ElecE are you looking at? For example, if you asked me what are good books for EE, my area is digital/analog communications, and I have a couple books that I quite like. Before we can recommend something, what area are you interested in?

I'm interested in robotics (cliché). More specifically "intelligent" protheses. But that is just my main interest. I'm willing to learn most of the necessary fundamentals (although I'm not sure how much of it is EE or MechEng or even computer science). Basically I'm looking for books that provide my with materials of my specific interest, but also give me the knowledge necessary to pass an university level degree.
I wouldn't know much about robotics, sorry :frown:
patientology
I hope its the right forum for this question.

I want to teach myself as much as possible about engineering (more weight on mechanic e. than electronic e.). Which books would you recommend? Which books do you use at university? The book should cover most things that are also discussed at BSc level.

Could you guys -and girls- give me some advice?
2nd question to those who really study engineering (Mech. or Elec. or related): Are you happy with your course? Do you feel you studied useful things?

#1 must have = Engineering Mathematics, K.A Stroud!!
Other books which I found useful include:

Introduction to Hydrualics, Les Hamill
Fluid Mechanics with Engineering Applications, Finnemoore, Frinzill
Introduction to Heat Transfer, Dewitt

I also got some books by Schaum which I found helpful, great for testing yourself,,include:

Thermodynamics for Engineers
Heat Transfer
Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulics
Electric Circiuits, 3000 problems
Calculus, 3000 problems
Basic Electricty

And loads more....

p.s Im gonna be selling them as a bulk lot possibly or singles so if your thinking of buying any engineering books get back to me i'l probly use amazon or ebay.

p.p.s engineering is the best degree out there, if you have an interest in both electronic AND mechanical i strongly advise you to look into Medical Engineering which combines both and satisfies the current and future demands engineers will face.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Peace0fM1nd
#1 must have = Engineering Mathematics, K.A Stroud!!
Other books which I found useful include:

Introduction to Hydrualics, Les Hamill
Fluid Mechanics with Engineering Applications, Finnemoore, Frinzill
Introduction to Heat Transfer, Dewitt

I also got some books by Schaum which I found helpful, great for testing yourself,,include:

Thermodynamics for Engineers
Heat Transfer
Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulics
Electric Circiuits, 3000 problems
Calculus, 3000 problems
Basic Electricty

And loads more....

p.s Im gonna be selling them as a bulk lot possibly or singles so if your thinking of buying any engineering books get back to me i'l probly use amazon or ebay.

p.p.s engineering is the best degree out there, if you have an interest in both electronic AND mechanical i strongly advise you to look into Medical Engineering which combines both and satisfies the current and future demands engineers will face.

Perfect- my thread is still alive :yep:
Thanks for the advice- fortunately I indeed ordered Strouds' book.
If you really plan to sell them I'd be interested in "Introduction to Hydraulics" and "Fluid Mechanics with Engineering Applications". Everyone is pointinmg out how important thermodynamics and stuff is- I can't imagine how a bok about therodynamics is so thick :eek3:

The books by Schaum all sound interesting. Are those books just with problems, or books which explain everything in detail and have questions at the end of each chapter?

Also: how much does the fun cost me? I'm a bit short of moneys, btw.
patientology

But a lot of people just go into engineering because they don't mind the maths and want a good level of income when they graduate lol.

My American friend is doing mechanical engineering at uni and should graduate some time next year; this means the course composition and education system is different, but still. He finds it quite boring but I do believe most of the things he has been doing (particularly in the first year for some reason) helped him - that's what he said anyway. Especially with things involving CAD and stuff like that because that's what he's really interested in.

On the whole I think it'll be useful stuff you learn - but i'm not studying this subject so don't take my word for it!
patientology
Perfect- my thread is still alive :yep:
Thanks for the advice- fortunately I indeed ordered Strouds' book.
If you really plan to sell them I'd be interested in "Introduction to Hydraulics" and "Fluid Mechanics with Engineering Applications". Everyone is pointinmg out how important thermodynamics and stuff is- I can't imagine how a bok about therodynamics is so thick :eek3:

The books by Schaum all sound interesting. Are those books just with problems, or books which explain everything in detail and have questions at the end of each chapter?

Also: how much does the fun cost me? I'm a bit short of moneys, btw.

ive been planning to sell them for a while just wana shift them and clear the space. i bought loads of books and most are still like brand new theyr no use to me anymore so u can hav em. i'l try to list them some time this week and see which 1s u like. yeh thermo is a difficult subject so best advice from me is start learning it now and get ahead of everyone, most people had to resit at my uni.

the schaum books are better for self-testing, most of them are Q&A style with basic outlines on the theory so its best not to use them for theory. kinda useful for revision too when u just need basic and quick info
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
I am interested in Computer science & Engineering.More specifically Artificial and Intelligence Subjects.I can use black book for computer science & engineering branch. It covers all the main subtopic for that branch and also we can get many knowledge from that book and also I can get many help from that book for my engineering semester exam.

Latest

Trending

Trending