The Student Room Group

Finding UK house number online?

I'm currently on vacation and want to send a friend a postcard. I've been to her place several times but actually don't know her house number, just the street (and post code). Do you know how to find the correct house number for free online?

I've tried google and bing maps but they apparently don't show the house numbers. If I search for numbers directly it just shows an approximate location, not the real one. I've tried ovi maps but the street is apparently too small to have the numbers of the houses presented there, too.

The information I have: her name, street name, post code (the same for about 70 small houses), physical knowledge of where her house is.

Thank you!
Reply 1

Since you have internet, why not just email/facebook her and ask?
Reply 2
It's quite redundant to send someone a postcard if they actually expect them?!
That might be enough to get the postcard there. I remember seeing something on the internet where a guy sent a letter to an old friend, and just put his name and drew a crude map of Wales with a dot in one area, and it got there!
Reply 4
Google Street View. Even if you can't see the number of the house you want, go up or down the street and often you'll see a house with a big massive number you can see easily and you can count along.
Reply 5
(If it's a small street just put the name and post it with a little note to the postman and he can match the names up with other post) The number is only looked at once it is in the local sorting office.
PJ991
Google Street View. Even if you can't see the number of the house you want, go up or down the street and often you'll see a house with a big massive number you can see easily and you can count along.

^ this. Done it a couple of times.
Reply 7
Thanks - unfortunately the entrances to the houses are positioned in a weird way but you're right, I should have a look at a few more houses. If I don't find any useful number, I'll probably just put there an approximate one (+/- 20 should be right) and hope for the post man to have a look at the name. She's been living there for nine years so the chances should be reasonable.
Reply 8
PJ991

Ok, I'm officially not smart (enough to give advice on TSR). There's a large bin standing in front of the house with an even larger house number on it.

Thanks for making me check google street view once more :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending