The Student Room Group

I love Britain so much...

And it makes me upset that we have immigrants like Amanda Platell who are so desperate to attack this country on any ropey grounds that she can, while benefitting from the lifestyle with which it provides her.

I feel so fortunate to have been born here and benefitted from a warm, loving stable environment where I was given the opportunity to excel, and to have never worried about access to healthcare, education or recreation etc. When I was fourteen, my family was gripped by one of those annoying 'grass is greener' mentalities and we packed our bags and moved to Canada (a country that is an allegedly much better place to live than here). Suffice to say, I missed Britain so much that I couldn't wait to come back and do my A-levels and go to university here.

Amanda Platell is currently applying for British citizenship, but I hope that for our sake it is denied.

What do you think of people who revel in pessimism over the state of our society? Are you happy to live in Britain?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Britain loves you.
Having travelled the world I am enourmously proud of my country, culture, the values that have been passed down to me, and the achievments of my ancestors.

Many liberal TSR will disagree with me, but that is simply because they are self haters who have never left the country.
Reply 3
PolarBearBotherer
Having travelled the world I am enourmously proud of my country, culture, the values that have been passed down to me, and the achievments of my ancestors.

Many liberal TSR will disagree with me, but that is simply because they are self haters who have never left the country.

I love this country, but I have to admit that I don't see the point in being proud of my ancestors' achievements or being proud to live here as I could have easily been born in Saudi Arabia or the DPRK.
adonntress
I love this country, but I have to admit that I don't see the point in being proud of my ancestors' achievements or being proud to live here as I could have easily been born in Saudi Arabia or the DPRK.

I could not have easily been born somewhere else, because I came from my British parents. It was a biological certainty that I was going to be born British.

I will also add that 'pride' is a feeling and you cannot apply irrationality to feelings.

If your daughter/son passed a medical degree at oxford would you not be proud, if you are why are you proud its not your acheivement. I cannot stand these ********* who criticise me for having feelings about my own ******* ancestors.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5

And it makes me upset that we have people like Nick Griffin who are so desperate to attack people like me on any ropey grounds that she can, even though I've lived here all my life, adapted to it's culture do normal things like play footie, call of duty with mates etc. and I'm proud to be British.

I feel so fortunate to have been born here and benefitted from a warm, loving stable environment where I was given the opportunity to excel, and to have never worried about access to healthcare, education or recreation etc. When I was fourteen, I had aspirations to become an Optometrist and couldn't wait to do my A-Levels.

Nick Griffin is currently leading the BNP, but I hope that for our sake he fails in future elections.

What do you think of people who revel in pessimism over the state of our society? Are you happy to live in Britain?
Reply 6
PolarBearBotherer
I could not have easily been boorn somewhere else, because I cam from my British parents. It was a biological certainty that I was going to be born British.

I will also add that 'pride' is a feeling and you cannot apply irrationality to feelings.

If your daughter/son passed a medical degree at oxford would you not be proud, if you are why are you proud its not your acheivement. I cannot stand these ********* who criticise me for having feelings about my own ******* ancestors.

Of course I'd be proud if my son passed a medical degree, because I was the one who provided the environment in which he excelled and directly encouraged and supported his success and ambition. I had precisely zilch to do with the achievements of my grandfather, let alone those who conquered indigenous populations who fought back with grass sticks.

Also, (although I'd like to think that this part was you simply saying it to piss off those TSR liberals) it was by no means a 'biological certainty' that you were going to be born British.
lol

i love Britain too, we have our problems but every country does.
I love being British, but that's where it ends. I feel great pride in being such a prestigious nationality..but of course that is all down to what Britain was, not is.

I feel like I'm born in the wrong era, I love traditional Britain of old. The new culture doesn't please me and to an extent angers me that this is what my country is becoming.

As for the lifestyle, standard of living, environment, economy etc. I find it okay but I've travelled to places which clearly outshine this country in every way.

So in many ways I don't like it here and I plan to move soon after graduation in search for a better lifestyle...but my bond with this country is such that my loyalty will always lie with Britain :yep: If it came to it, I would die fighting for this country.
Reply 9
Tam_91

And it makes me upset that we have people like Nick Griffin who are so desperate to attack people like me on any ropey grounds that she can, even though I've lived here all my life, adapted to it's culture do normal things like play footie, call of duty with mates etc. and I'm proud to be British.

I feel so fortunate to have been born here and benefitted from a warm, loving stable environment where I was given the opportunity to excel, and to have never worried about access to healthcare, education or recreation etc. When I was fourteen, I had aspirations to become an Optometrist and couldn't wait to do my A-Levels.

Nick Griffin is currently leading the BNP, but I hope that for our sake he fails in future elections.

I hope that you're not suggesting that I support the BNP. The vile creature of whom I spoke is a white Australian.

I'm very thankful of Britain's tolerance and its welcome to immigrants who feel fortunate to live here and want to contribute to British society.
Reply 10
anyone who says we have a culture is just stupid. we have a history - a proud history - but no unified British culture. We're westernised and thats pretty much it.
Reply 11
Panda Vinnie
I love being British, but that's where it ends. I feel great pride in being such a prestigious nationality..but of course that is all down to what Britain was, not is.

I feel like I'm born in the wrong era, I love traditional Britain of old. The new culture doesn't please me and to an extent angers me that this is what my country is becoming.

As for the lifestyle, standard of living, environment, economy etc. I find it okay but I've travelled to places which clearly outshine this country in every way.

So in many ways I don't like it here and I plan to move soon after graduation in search for a better lifestyle...but my bond with this country is such that my loyalty will always lie with Britain :yep: If it came to it, I would die fighting for this country.

Would you care to explain which places those are? When I moved to Canada (often seen as the land of milk and honey), I was distinctly underwhelmed by the living standards compared to what I was expecting.
Reply 12
PolarBearBotherer

Why? I consider myself liberal and no problem with what you said.
adonntress
Of course I'd be proud if my son passed a medical degree, because I was the one who provided the environment in which he excelled and directly encouraged and supported his success and ambition. I had precisely zilch to do with the achievements of my grandfather, let alone those who conquered indigenous populations who fought back with grass sticks.

Also, (although I'd like to think that this part was you simply saying it to piss off those TSR liberals) it was by no means a 'biological certainty' that you were going to be born British.

I am ethnically Scottish, I was not going to be born ethnically chinese or ethnically Kenyan, so yeah it was a certainty.

My father passed his MSC at Kings College I did nothing to provide him with a stable environment etc. Does that mean I should not be proud of my father, or I should not be proud of my grandfather who was shot in the head fighting at D-Day defending this country and many others, should I not be proud of my ancestors who built this country and fought and died for it. You may not be proud but I am.

I will also add that if you do not feel pride there is nothing right or wrong about that, you either feel it or you dont. I do feel great pride.
MrCharmed
Why? I consider myself liberal and no problem with what you said.

I am a liberal to an extent but there are liberals then there are TSR users.
(edited 13 years ago)
adonntress
And it makes me upset that we have immigrants like Amanda Platell who are so desperate to attack this country on any ropey grounds that she can, while benefitting from the lifestyle with which it provides her.

I feel so fortunate to have been born here and benefitted from a warm, loving stable environment where I was given the opportunity to excel, and to have never worried about access to healthcare, education or recreation etc. When I was fourteen, my family was gripped by one of those annoying 'grass is greener' mentalities and we packed our bags and moved to Canada (a country that is an allegedly much better place to live than here). Suffice to say, I missed Britain so much that I couldn't wait to come back and do my A-levels and go to university here.

Amanda Platell is currently applying for British citizenship, but I hope that for our sake it is denied.

So, basically, deny citizenship those you disagree with?
Maybe I'm not wildly in love with England, but I know how fortunate I am...sort of. I am glad I'm not British, but I don't have any really concrete reasons for it.
The thing is that the people are really something here...sometimes they can be so nasty, over nothing that matters! Maybe I'm judging you just by schoolchildren but afterall...these people grow up into adults...
When I pay taxes and I've been here for a long time as an adult, maybe I'll be able to judge better.
Britain is :cool:
adonntress

*Cries with British pride and blows nose on French flag*
Reply 19
I love Britain too. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending