The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
MonkeyOnIce
hmm..ok, so im a bit dumb when it comes to pc's..but i know we have to intstall one of their firewall's don't we. well, ive already got norton on mine, so will i have to unistall this or not?

Probably not, but being a computer that ur using it will probably have some conflict and try to kill u when you sleep or soemthing equally dire, so in the end yes probably :biggrin:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 21
you have to install their network version of mcaffee antivirus and some bristol related bits n bobs.
Reply 22
Gexko
Look it'll be faster than broadband at home thats all you need to know :p:

my home broadband was faster... for external world things like downloading webpages and uploads. Obviously internal beets me.
Reply 23
I tell thee - ResNet is a bum to set up.
Reply 24
It's rather easy on a mac...as per usual. :p:
Reply 25
It was easy enough, just clicking next/yes etc, but it can be quite time consuming I'm told, depending on how update your PC is
Reply 26
god, it took hours, had to scan the whole pc. Download a milllion utilties, but it did work in the end.
Reply 27
you dont actually have to do all that :P
Reply 28
I actually had the mac easiness... but I couldn't for the life of me imagine why it wasn't working. It turned out that I'd done manual configuration on my home network, and had to change those settings (DNS servers, web proxy), but then it was fine.
does anyone know how to get outlook express working? i can'y get any of my emails! it is really annoying! and i can't get through on the phone line...
Reply 30
no idea... my lavasoft adaware update isnt working, neither is my avg or magic online programme, i cant update anything!! (other than crap windows)
Reply 31
yes i know how to use outlook on resnet pm me you need to change your outgoing mail server and such
Reply 32
phoenixv
no idea... my lavasoft adaware update isnt working, neither is my avg or magic online programme, i cant update anything!! (other than crap windows)

you need to set your proxy settings mate

go to advanced in connection settings and enter

wwwcache.bris.ac.uk

as your proxy server.

ok it all and try again.

Enjoy.
Reply 33
wat bout the http address proxy n port? coz they r asking for that.
Reply 34
to save me reposting stuff as ppl have already asked me these types of questions on my website, you can see my answers here (click to view)

happy updating.
Just downlaoded something, was getting a good 800kb/s
it keeps not working! it all goes down, and then i can't use outlook, and then firefox won't work and then creatve thingy won't and then some of it works till it all fails again! we are going mad in hiatt baker with this! grrrrr
Reply 37
does that sometimes here too, i couldn't get IE or Firefox to work, but everything else did, fine now though
Reply 38
Proxy Settings! Ahhhh
Reply 39
yeah, it seem to be regularly cutting out.

I'm taking a guess its the proxy server because only web browsing seems to be effected.

Latest

Trending

Trending