The Student Room Group

Part-time Legal Jobs

Hey there people, I was just wondering whether anybody has ever had a part-time job in the legal sector? The thing is, I have hopes of studying Law at university and ambitions of becoming a barrister, and thus, I would like a part-time job relating to this particular field. I personally can't be arsed working all hours in a place I'm not even interested in! The trouble is, I'm thinking it would be very hard to work part-time in chamber or in solicitor's officers, as I am only 16 at the moment. I am doing AS Level at the moment (see signature), and got good GCSE grades, but I am also very young for my year (I have a summer birthday).

I'm pretty sure I could never apply for a secreterial post as all Legal Secretaries have to have years of experience - well, all the adverts I've looked at so far! So the question is; is it plausible for a 16 year old to be able to get a job in the legal field? I can only work weekends as I have school and college in the week, so my hours are limited too.

Has anybody else ever worked for barristers chambers/solicitors offices? Even if just as an "office junior"? (Making tea, distributing post etc). How did you go about it? And what was the work like?

Any advice/opinions are welcome.

Cheers.
zhivago
Hey there people, I was just wondering whether anybody has ever had a part-time job in the legal sector? The thing is, I have hopes of studying Law at university and ambitions of becoming a barrister, and thus, I would like a part-time job relating to this particular field. I personally can't be arsed working all hours in a place I'm not even interested in! The trouble is, I'm thinking it would be very hard to work part-time in chamber or in solicitor's officers, as I am only 16 at the moment. I am doing AS Level at the moment (see signature), and got good GCSE grades, but I am also very young for my year (I have a summer birthday).

I'm pretty sure I could never apply for a secreterial post as all Legal Secretaries have to have years of experience - well, all the adverts I've looked at so far! So the question is; is it plausible for a 16 year old to be able to get a job in the legal field? I can only work weekends as I have school and college in the week, so my hours are limited too.

Has anybody else ever worked for barristers chambers/solicitors offices? Even if just as an "office junior"? (Making tea, distributing post etc). How did you go about it? And what was the work like?

Any advice/opinions are welcome.

Cheers.

My advice to you would be to either write a letter or go in and talk to the people working in your local solicitors office they will be able to tell you what the chances of you getting a job are. I think it is likely you might be able to get a job on a saturday, as long as you are PC literate, you can do things such as write letters, file things, answer the telephone, which are all pretty easy. If you cannot get paid you could always get unpaid work experience, although not as attractive it means you get your foot in the door and means you will really know what it is like to do the job. Best of luck and congrats on your fab GCSE results!! :smile:
Reply 2
Cheers very much; that response has given me some insight, and to be perfectly honest I'd rather be doing the things you have listed there in a law firm than be stuck selling crap products to random people! Cheers very much, I'm a lot more optimistic about my prospects now.

Latest

Trending

Trending