The Student Room Group

How did Margaret Thatcher change Britain for the better?

haii.
I need some help with this mini essay I have to write for Politics please (:
For once Google isn't being that helpful ¬¬

How did Margaret Thatcher Change Britain for the better?

With the economy?
With employment?
With Foreign Policy?

I just need some help getting started. ^^

thanks in advance.x

(P.S. No 'uuuuh milk snatcher' comments please)
Reply 1
I don't know her time in office in depth, but I admire her for bolstering Britain's presence on the World stage by kicking Argentina back into place.
Reply 2
Ah good to see your asking on TSR
she actually didn't do much.
(edited 13 years ago)
Ask her. She's on this forum you know...
Reply 4
What do you mean she's on the forum? ahahx.
Reply 5
Do you not know how to use Wikipedia?

This might help you http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/4447082.stm
Margaret Thatcher
x

Come on Maggie, fill us in.
Reply 7
Short answer, she didn't.
Reply 8
A variety of ways.

Such as modernising our ecoomy and making sure we stayed a power on the world stage. I don't really know it in depth with figures an whatnot. But don't listen to the people who tell you she did no good. They'll be Liberals or Labour supporters, and we all know just how much god those parties have done for Britain :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Gave us all a common hatred
Reply 10
I think she did. She gave families like mine a chance to own their home, (a policy which is still place) chances to own shares etc...
Long live Maggie.
(edited 13 years ago)
even as a labour voter i do think maggie was quite the revolutionary. Very strong against foriegn agressors, and the promotion of class aspiration. I dont agree with her economic policies ofc, however, as a whole i do think she was one of britains greatest prime ministers.
by making anti-immigrant threads... thats all I know..

but I doubt if thats for the better.
Reply 13
she took the milk away :frown:
Reply 14
Phantom_X
even as a labour voter i do think maggie was quite the revolutionary. Very strong against foriegn agressors, and the promotion of class aspiration. I dont agree with her economic policies ofc, however, as a whole i do think she was one of britains greatest prime ministers.

Yeah her economic policies were a bit....well extreme

But apart from that, yes, I think she definitely good for sticking up for this country especially in the EU
Sorry though, I'm not really wised up on the whole politics side of it :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
right to buy and the recasting of social housing as housing for those with a particualr need

taking the hard decisions with underproductive nationalised industries

vast increase in the number of people in the population who owned shares via the gas and electric privatisations and the Building societies that changed to banks ( e.g. halifax and abbey)

sought inwards investment in manufacturing e.g. Nissan in Washington T+W , toyota in derby and Honda in Swindon

EU opt outs , vetos and contribution remission

reform of employment law to stop the Unions holding the nation to ransom

a vast hospital building programme or perhaps all the hospitals built and expanded in the 1980s to make the estate fit for purpose as just an illusion

dismantling the lunatic asylums once and for all ...
zippyRN
right to buy and the recasting of social housing as housing for those with a particualr need

taking the hard decisions with underproductive nationalised industries

vast increase in the number of people in the population who owned shares via the gas and electric privatisations and the Building societies that changed to banks ( e.g. halifax and abbey)

sought inwards investment in manufacturing e.g. Nissan in Washington T+W , toyota in derby and Honda in Swindon

EU opt outs , vetos and contribution remission

reform of employment law to stop the Unions holding the nation to ransom

a vast hospital building programme or perhaps all the hospitals built and expanded in the 1980s to make the estate fit for purpose as just an illusion

dismantling the lunatic asylums once and for all ...

Very helpful post x
Steevee
They'll be Liberals or Labour supporters, and we all know just how much god those parties have done for Britain :rolleyes:

*cough*NHS*cough* :p:

Anyway on Maggie, I'm a Liberal supporter but I wouldn't knock her overall. She definitely divided opinion and was one of the most controversial leaders we've had and did many things I don't agree with, however undeniably she was a good leader in the sense she was strong, determined and definitely a force to be reckoned with.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
tieyourmotherdown
*cough*NHS*cough* :p:

Anyway on Maggie, I'm a Liberal supporter but I wouldn't knock her overall. She definitely divided opinion and was one of the most controversial leaders we've had and did many things I don't agree with, however undeniably she was a good leader in the sense she was strong, determined and definitely a force to be reckoned with.

Well ok, I'll give you the NHS. But the conservative government started the ball rolling with the Health Insurance and whatnot :p:

It's nice to see though. Far too many people just brand her the devil with no idea about what she did. They grow up with people talking only about the Miners and the Milk, never of what she did to cement us on the world stage, or change our economic model.

Latest

Trending

Trending