The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Craig_D
Indeed, like we atheists! Our taxes paid for him to come here, and then he starts attacking as soon as he arrives.

I think you're certainly entitled to attack someone whose visit you've been forced to pay for, despite the fact your views directly oppose his. :yes:
I can't see why it's not justified? The only reason you gave was the greater negativity towards Catholism in comparison to other religions. Regardless, it deserves it.

The protests weren't that bad either.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 42
I don't know where you're been seeing pope bashing in the media. In forums and in general public opinion? Yes. But the BBC has been sucking up to him for the past couple of days. If he bent over, the BBC and Sky reporters would have fallen over each other in the rush to kiss his arse. They went on and on about how many were there to see the pope wherever he went, when tickets to see him at most places went unsold, they scaled down how many they'd let attend when he did the mass in Scotland because they couldn't sell the tickets and the turnouts were nothing on what turned out to see the last pope. Half of the people at some were specifically invited - schools in Scotland took their students to see him (not sure if the students had a choice). If anything, they glorified his visit in the way the media always hypes things up.

They were interviewing people in the crowd waiting for the pope on Thursday and saying how great it was and how excited all of the people were who were waiting there to see him - hyping it all up, when whilst the people were there, they weren't exactly exploding with exitement - they interviewed a few very excited people, then moved onto some others who when asked 'Why are you here to see the pope? Are you excited?' replied with 'We're just trying to get home from work, the police wont let us cross the road. We're trapped, and have to see the pope'. They moved away from them quickly :lol:

The only negative comments directed towards the pope on the news that I heard was coverage of the child abuse scandal and discussion over the reasons why many of the general public were against the visit when the polls came out. And you can't say that's bashing the pope. That was all truth.
Reply 43
What media have you been reading? The Mail can't get enough of the Pope and you can't turn on the Beeb without seeing his sanctimonious face.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 44
usainlightning
Don't you think the economic boost of the visit will more than have paid his security costs?

Until I see figures I would be skeptical. Even then, a positive economic effect hardly justifies an action as moral.
Reply 45
Yes, most other religions do also do bad things and most religions, like catholics, are spoken negatively of. To be honest i couldn't care less how much hate he gets, in fact he deserves more of it. His views are too extreme for the 21st century...

"What’s needed is something like a ‘human ecology,’ understood in the right sense. It’s not simply an outdated metaphysics if the Church speaks of the nature of the human person as man and woman, and asks that this order of creation be respected."

:facepalm:

Slk3
and isn't britain all about tolerance?

Since when? :lolwut:
(edited 13 years ago)
The second my country, a secular state, stops spending money my parents earnt through hard work to promote a random religious leader's ego is the second I stop caring.
BeanofJelly
Also, that being the case - may I mention this:

"Even in our own lifetimes we can recall how Britain and her leaders stood against a Nazi tyranny that wished to eradicate God from society and denied our common humanity to many, especially the Jews, who were thought unfit to live.

"As we reflect on the sobering lessons of atheist extremism of the 20th century, let us never forget how the exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of man and of society and thus a reductive vision of a person and his destiny."

That's what the pope has to say about you and what you do/don't believe in. I think he's probably done worse bashing of gays, atheists, Britain, humanists giving out condoms in Africa, people who want to mention paedophilia in the catholic institution and in fact, every single person who doesn't believe in and follow his doctrine.

Because he thinks you're going to hell. Really going to hell. Forever. And he thinks you deserve it.

Has the man ever read a speech by Hitler? His speeches overflowed with Christian anti-Semitism. Poor misinformation, really poor from a world leader.
rylit91
I'm a Catholic, and while I'm not what you'd call devout, I do have faith; and it's so refreshing to hear your post. Most Pope-bashers are jumping on a bandwagon to make themselves look like they are up to date on all the current affairs, or just have an axe to grind. The problem is that the Pope actually raises issues that most people don't like to think about, or admit are true. I'm only 18, and I remember when he first became Pope and warned about the reality of Hell - no-one likes to think about it, and so when it is raised they lambast whomever raised it. What is also striking is the sheer rudeness and inhospitality all this media is. Very rude indeed.

Very eye-opening how much people buy into PR. He is not a natural public speaker like his predecessor, and so people mistake this for being impersonality, for some unfathomable reason.

I really don't get this particular criticism of the anti-Catholic community. I don't know about you but I'd have thought supporting the Pope was the bandwagon to jump on, because then you can babble on about how tolerant and open minded you are, thereby looking 'forward thinking' and 'multicultural' and whatever other buzzwords people use these days.
Reply 49
adamrules247
Well said.

Seconded.
Reply 50
DJkG.1
Seconded.

Bit hypocritical considering you had a "Pope is the devil" video don't you think, even if it was your "friend's"?
Slk3
First off I should point out that I'm not catholic - I'm not religious at all. But is it just me who thinks that all of the furore and anti-papal sentiment over the pope's visit is too exaggerated? I don't want to sound like one of those chokingly P.C. liberals who stop anyone from speaking negatively about anyone else for fear of being accused of bigotry - but shouldn't the british media be a bit more tolerant of this guy? I know that the catholic church is reponsible for some pretty bad things, but so are most religions - and it's not like the pope himself has molested any children, and isn't britain all about tolerance? I don't like the pope myself and I'm generally anti-religion but the anger with which he has been treated is a little disrespectful to all the catholics in the UK imo...

Speaking at African Catholic conferences to publicly denounce condoms as a way of preventing the spread of AIDs causing thousands of Catholic Africans, if not more, to have sex without protection thus greatly exacerbating the proliferation of HIV? That is not worth getting ****** off about?
amelialynch
I'm athiest, and I honestly didn't care that he was coming here.

I did care, however, when he bashed atheism, calling it a threat to religion. We're not a threat to anything, mate. You're a pretty big one to anything that isn't a white adult male, though.

Surely athiesm is fairly obvious a threat to religion?

He can drop ******* dead, the stupid ****.

That's a fairly huge turnaround from "not caring" to wishing his death based on some fairly expected comment he made.
(edited 13 years ago)
rhaco
What pissed me off is the relative proportion of coverage the anti-pope crowd were given. In London 5,000 people were there to protest the pope. 300,000 were there to see him.

what pissed me off is way in which those who were abused as children by priests are treated by the church. each to their own i suppose
Tu Stultus Es
Speaking at African Catholic conferences to publicly denounce condoms as a way of preventing the spread of AIDs causing thousands of Catholic Africans, if not more, to have sex without protection thus greatly exacerbating the proliferation of HIV? That is not worth getting ****** off about?

Is there actually any hard evidence to this effect? Or is it all just speculation?
Antzlck
You must be seeing something I'm not, because I haven't seen a lot of 'pope bashing'. Prior to his visit there was a lot of negative talk but it never really happened to the scale that was been talked about.

Have you not been on TSR the past week or so?
Morons who add a question mark to a thread title for no reason piss me off, but you don't see me starting a thread about it.

On topic - when the Pope stops discouraging condom use in Africa, I'll consider some respite.

Edit - also, if he gets to bash atheism, I'll say whatever I please about Catholicism.
(edited 13 years ago)
So does this animation annoy you too?

Reply 58
n1r4v
Bit hypocritical considering you had a "Pope is the devil" video don't you think, even if it was your "friend's"?

So a video I had as a 'favourite' is tantamount to proof that I hold such a belief? If that's the case, nobody interested in religion or politics or even shaky scientific theories (topics on epigenetics come to mind) who adds YT videos to their favourites list can be held to have even a glimmer of the cogency and linear thought that is expected from any sane adult mind.

So no, I wouldn't really say it is hypocritical at all mate. :h:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 59
He isn't above criticism.

Latest

Trending

Trending