The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Best takeaways - discuss

Right.

So you Reading freshers wanna know where to get your chinese or pizza or indian from right?

All current Reading people pleaaase put your opininons and recommendations up here cos the thread from a while back got deleted (not sure why!!)

My personal favourite Chinese is Kings Chef - averagely priced, good food star rating, fast delivery and if you order quite a bit they give you free drinks, prawn crackers (sometimes rice) and fortune cookies. Friendly people. Good for veggies too!

Wok on Wheels is quite nice, slightly more expensive but more of a selection. There's also one called China Garden (will find details soon) but they're really quite nice too - different selection of things.

Favourite pizza has to be Pizza Presto. You can't beat a massive gooey greasy SQUARE (yes, square!) pizza from Presto. Cheap student deals - just ask on the phone. Student meal for three is £15 for three pizzas of ANY kind, three lots of garlic bread and three cans of drink. Meal for two is similar at £6 I think...

From experience Dominos is obviously the same everywhere, nice thin pizzas, slightly pricy but always nice if you can get a good deal. For the two Pizza Hut deliveries I have had, both times the pizza was quite dry and overcooked. Just my opinion though!!

SO everyone - add your recommendations below!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Great thread!!

My fav Chinese has got to be Wok on Wheels - good quality food, free prawn crackers, they're always happy to create you a custom dish and fast delivery (normally within 15mins). It's a family run business too which always wins brownie points from me...although it can get kindda awkward when you recognise them in ASDA :s-smilie:

For a pizza it depends where I am and what deals are on. Dominos is great if there's a group of you and you have the 50% off voucher, although the food is always the same wherever you go. Couldn't agree more about pizza hut, always horrendously overcooked! I do like a bit of Prezzo too, very good deals and awesome pizzas all year round.

Fish and chips in Reading is a bit of a sore spot for me...I only consider a place to be a proper chippy if thats all they sell (so having a kebab spit aswell doesn't count). That only leaves me with 2 options - The White Dolphin on Erleigh Road, very very nice guy serving, MASSIVE portions and cheap as chips (sorry, couldn't resist) - £4.70 for cod and chips. Or there's Royals on Christchurch road, less greasy but more expensive and always a bit too dry for my liking. Plus they don't deliver so you need to drive there.

And lastly, for the post union munchies, Istanbul Grill deliver up until 6am and do absolutely everything, including BOGOF pizza. Brilliant.
(edited 13 years ago)
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Chinese, The Dancing Dragon. WOOOOO. :woo:
Reply 3
dollydaydream

Favourite pizza has to be Pizza Presto. You can't beat a massive gooey greasy SQUARE (yes, square!) pizza from Presto. Cheap student deals - just ask on the phone. Student meal for three is £15 for three pizzas of ANY kind, three lots of garlic bread and three cans of drink. Meal for two is similar at £6 I think...

Their BBQ chicken pizza... :coma:

As for Chinese, I've only tried Wok on Wheels but it's really good! Free prawn crackers when you order over £10 worth.
(edited 13 years ago)
Thanks for this thread! Any decent Indian takeaways out there?
Reply 5
Sizzling Spice on Christchurch Road is a good Indian, it also does Thai.

Whereabouts on Christchurch is Royals? I've never seen it, or is it that one on the roundabout?

Best chinese has to be wok on wheels! I had one tonight and have the leftovers in front of me :sexface:
Reply 6
New happy house/new happy garden (i think one of them is closed and i have no idea which) were my fav chineses, although the best singapore noodles comes from king's chef on london road.
Best cheese burger you'll ever get - Kings grill on kings road. I say this, but Ive never had it sober, in case isnt not as good as we all think it is when drunk. But wow.
Chicken base and PFC are my favourites for chicken..pfc is open so late/early which is always useful.
Reply 7
FadedJade
Sizzling Spice on Christchurch Road is a good Indian, it also does Thai.

Whereabouts on Christchurch is Royals? I've never seen it, or is it that one on the roundabout?

Best chinese has to be wok on wheels! I had one tonight and have the leftovers in front of me :sexface:

Oops sorry I meant Shinfield Road for Royals not Christchurch, its opposite the BP garage by the Sportsman pub.

The Sunday Buffet in Sizzling spice is very good, and they do 10% student discount!
Reply 8
When I'm in for the evening I'll get a curry, usually a jalfrezi or something mildly hot. That's the best.
But then I'm sometimes in the mood for a chinese, but that's rare.

On a night out, after a few drinks I love a lamb doner kebab. It's just the perfect end to the night and once I'm drunk I always look forward to the kebab. It's so unfulfilling if I go out and don't have a kebab...

Other than that, I'm not a big fan of McDonalds, rarely have a KFC and I never order takeaway pizza, we always just cook one.
Reply 9
The best takeaways in reading are
The Wok on Wheels - chineese, quite cheap
Kathmandu - indian/nepalese, pricier but amazing food

but the best overall place to eat is THAI 9 -
all you can eat for £13.80, prepared from menu not a dodgy buffet. Includes thai food and sushi - sushi especially is excellent value as it is truely all you can eat, you can order platters that normally cost £20+ but its all included in the one price.
I'm making a note of all these takeaways, thanks for the advice!
Fish 'n' Chips: Mr Cod (London Road, Cemetry Junction) or White Dolphin (Erleigh Road)
Chinese: Wok on Wheels (Higrove Street) or Hong Kong City (Erleigh Road)
Pizza: Presto Pizza (3 pizzas for £15) or Dominos (50% any day any time)
Chicken: Mekka Hut (Erleigh Road) or Perfect Fried Chicken (Wokingham Road)
Indian: Sizzling Spice (Christchurch Road) or Sardar Palace (London Road)
Reply 12
Tom Gilchrist
Fish 'n' Chips: Mr Cod (London Road, Cemetry Junction) or White Dolphin (Erleigh Road)
Chinese: Wok on Wheels (Higrove Street) or Hong Kong City (Erleigh Road)
Pizza: Presto Pizza (3 pizzas for £15) or Dominos (50% any day any time)
Chicken: Mekka Hut (Erleigh Road) or Perfect Fried Chicken (Wokingham Road)
Indian: Sizzling Spice (Christchurch Road) or Sardar Palace (London Road)

The Sardar has closed! Something to do with their chefs not meeting the new immigration laws...
WelshRhys
The Sardar has closed! Something to do with their chefs not meeting the new immigration laws...

Oh no! Where to eat on London Road now... Moon's Grill? <yuk!>
Reply 14
theres a few great indians on wokingham road. Ginger (i think thats what its called) does a curry, a rice, and a naan bread all for a fiver for students.
sarCAZm
theres a few great indians on wokingham road. Ginger (i think thats what its called) does a curry, a rice, and a naan bread all for a fiver for students.

Wow, that sounds like a deal and a half!
Reply 16
It is! And really good curry. Sure as hell makes a girl regret living in a one bathroom house with 5 men :/ bad times.
sarCAZm
It is! And really good curry. Sure as hell makes a girl regret living in a one bathroom house with 5 men :/ bad times.

I'm used to the curry alone being more than £5, can't beat a Chicken Tikka Madras :biggrin:

LOL! I'm in ensuite halls for the first year, so no worries about that for me :p:
Reply 18
yeah ensuite is a good choice...toilets in halls can get...eugghh
sarCAZm
yeah ensuite is a good choice...toilets in halls can get...eugghh

Yeah part of the reason I chose ensuite!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending