The Student Room Group

PGCE- Does it allow you to teach abroad?

So I've been thinking about life beyond the PGCE. Once you have QTS and have completed the NQT year, would this qualification allow you to teach abroad? I'm guessing that the commonwealth countries would accept it more readily than others, although that may be a naive assumption. :s-smilie:
Reply 1
Netts
So I've been thinking about life beyond the PGCE. Once you have QTS and have completed the NQT year, would this qualification allow you to teach abroad? I'm guessing that the commonwealth countries would accept it more readily than others, although that may be a naive assumption. :s-smilie:

It will depend on the country. I know at least some US states that accept it. However, if wanted to teach in France, you would need to complete their qualification.

One way around this would be to complete your NQT year in the UK and then try to get a job at an international school, or one that offers the IB program. Also, many private international institutions prefer someone with a Masters. This will open up more opportunities to teach around the world at British and International schools.

In the end, you will have to research the country you're interested in. In some countries, like the Netherlands (where teachers are greatly needed), it is a masters profession (usually a masters in your field with a teaching qualification). Again, things will vary. It's possible, but it may take some persistence.
k1tsun3
It will depend on the country. I know at least some US states that accept it. However, if wanted to teach in France, you would need to complete their qualification.

One way around this would be to complete your NQT year in the UK and then try to get a job at an international school, or one that offers the IB program. Also, many private international institutions prefer someone with a Masters. This will open up more opportunities to teach around the world at British and International schools.

That's not true. You don't need a PGCE to teach in an international school, it all depends on the schools requirements. Granted the more experience you have the better your options regarding schools and what they pay, but you do not need a qualification.

I've not yet seen one 'private international institution' asking for a masters! OP, you can check what international schools require on www.tes.co.uk and search for a job abroad.

In the end, you will have to research the country you're interested in. In some countries, like the Netherlands (where teachers are greatly needed), it is a masters profession (usually a masters in your field with a teaching qualification). Again, things will vary. It's possible, but it may take some persistence.

If the OP wants to work in the state system of a foreign country then they will need to jump through the same hoops as any prospective teacher native to said country would. Also, OP you may even have to pass an official language exam too.

I shall give you the Spanish way:

A PGCE graduate would need to take the DELE Spanish exam and then apply for the 'oposiciones' which is a national exam. Wait for the result and then if you have scored high enough and there is a place available in your prefered region, then you get the job. It is a permanent position and if you leave it, you must take the exam all over again. You can only get a job if there are places available (i.e. people have quit) and you score high enough.
Reply 3
KayleeLand
That's not true. You don't need a PGCE to teach in an international school, it all depends on the schools requirements. Granted the more experience you have the better your options regarding schools and what they pay, but you do not need a qualification.

I've not yet seen one 'private international institution' asking for a masters! OP, you can check what international schools require on www.tes.co.uk and search for a job abroad.

Again, this will depend on the school. I have looked for jobs at international schools in Europe and elsewhere, and I have found that many require you to have a minimum of 2 years experience with a masters being preferred. Whilst a teaching qualification isn't always mentioned, preference would definitely be given. Also, I have found that not all information is provided in the job advert. I have followed the link to schools from their advert, and on the website, a teaching qualification was listed as either required or preferred. If the country you're interested in moving to is a popular destination, the qualification may be necessary. Again, this will vary from place to place.

If the OP wants to work in the state system of a foreign country then they will need to jump through the same hoops as any prospective teacher native to said country would. Also, OP you may even have to pass an official language exam too.

I shall give you the Spanish way:

A PGCE graduate would need to take the DELE Spanish exam and then apply for the 'oposiciones' which is a national exam. Wait for the result and then if you have scored high enough and there is a place available in your prefered region, then you get the job. It is a permanent position and if you leave it, you must take the exam all over again. You can only get a job if there are places available (i.e. people have quit) and you score high enough.

Yes, but this isn't always the case. As I mentioned above, the French qualification would need to be completed to work in a French state school. However, some countries do accept the PGCE. Whilst the US may not be the best example as obtaining a work permit would be difficult, I know for a fact that New York and several other States accept the PGCE, and in addition to that, if you have a Masters in Education, that will transfer as well, giving you a 10% increase in pay.

So, like I said before, I would job hunt and see what's out there. Also, think about what type of school you want to teach in. British schools abroad may have different requirements to international schools offering the IB. If you wish to work in a State-maintained school in another country, they will have their own requirements.

I have also found expat forums to be more informative as you'll find others who have been in your situation and now work abroad.
Reply 4
In international schools your pay will usually be adjusted accordingly if you have it.
However, state schools are a different kettle of fish altogether. My aunt has her PGCE and was a teacher and headteacher in the UK for more than ten years before moving to France. Despite her experience and qualifications, and the fact that she had studied French at uni and so was fluent in the language, the state schools would not take her on for love nor money - so be careful!
k1tsun3
Again, this will depend on the school. I have looked for jobs at international schools in Europe and elsewhere, and I have found that many require you to have a minimum of 2 years experience with a masters being preferred. Whilst a teaching qualification isn't always mentioned, preference would definitely be given. Also, I have found that not all information is provided in the job advert. I have followed the link to schools from their advert, and on the website, a teaching qualification was listed as either required or preferred. If the country you're interested in moving to is a popular destination, the qualification may be necessary. Again, this will vary from place to place.

And that is EXACTLY what I said. And just to repeat for the OPs benefit - I have never seen a job at an international school, nor at a British Council school asking for a Masters. I think this would be very odd since UK schools don't even require one. Kitsun, feel free to show me a job that requires a Masters as I don't believe you.

Yes, but this isn't always the case. As I mentioned above, the French qualification would need to be completed to work in a French state school. However, some countries do accept the PGCE. Whilst the US may not be the best example as obtaining a work permit would be difficult, I know for a fact that New York and several other States accept the PGCE, and in addition to that, if you have a Masters in Education, that will transfer as well, giving you a 10% increase in pay.

So, like I said before, I would job hunt and see what's out there. Also, think about what type of school you want to teach in. British schools abroad may have different requirements to international schools offering the IB. If you wish to work in a State-maintained school in another country, they will have their own requirements.

I have also found expat forums to be more informative as you'll find others who have been in your situation and now work abroad.

OP - private schools are a law unto themselves. They can do what they want, employ who they want and pay what they want. But the answer to your question is YES, the PGCE does allow you to teach abroad. But you being a native English speaker is just as important.
Reply 6
This is my last post unless the OP has a specific question.

As for a masters degree, there are schools who definitely prefer one as I stated in my first post. Here is a current position advertised where a masters in the subject is preferred: http://www.tes.co.uk/JobDetailsbronze.aspx?ac=2919084&qry=parametrics%3dJOBCATEGORYCODE|10557%26PageNo%3d2&cur=13&rslt=27&UK=false

Also, many, if not most of the jobs advertise want a teaching qualification. I know there are international schools who will hire someone without one, but they tend not to offer good working conditions. Every single job advert I looked at on TES for a secondary teaching position required an undergraduate degree and a teaching qualification.

OP, I hope all this helps. Again, have a look at expat forums as they tend to be very useful.
(edited 13 years ago)
k1tsun3
This is my last post unless the OP has a specific question.

As for a masters degree, there are schools who definitely prefer one as I stated in my first post. Here is a current position advertised where a masters in the subject is preferred: http://www.tes.co.uk/JobDetailsbronze.aspx?ac=2919084&qry=parametrics%3dJOBCATEGORYCODE|10557%26PageNo%3d2&cur=13&rslt=27&UK=false

The Masters is in the subject knowledge and has no relation to education or teaching & learning.

Also, many, if not most of the jobs advertise want a teaching qualification. I know there are international schools who will hire someone without one, but they tend not to offer good working conditions. Every single job advert I looked at on TES for a secondary teaching position required an undergraduate degree and a teaching qualification.

OP, I hope all this helps. Again, have a look at expat forums as they tend to be very useful.

I don't think you can say that they don't offer good working conditions. There is an international PGCE that non-qualified teachers can do on the job.

Angelil always harps on about her good working conditions and I think she doesn't have a PGCE...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
KayleeLand
The Masters is in the subject knowledge and has no relation to education or teaching & learning. [...]

The person in question did not imply the masters had any relation to education; if anything, the person meant a subject-specific masters. In addition, most private schools, which includes international schools, tend to have far more teachers with higher qualifications (masters and PhD) than state schools.
evantej
The person in question did not imply the masters had any relation to education; if anything, the person meant a subject-specific masters.

Well -
k1tsun3
if you have a Masters in Education

She posted that just a few posts above and that's what I went on.

In addition, most private schools, which includes international schools, tend to have far more teachers with higher qualifications (masters and PhD) than state schools.

Disagree. Hugely. Examples please.

Also this is going off topic now. As the OP wanted to know, yes a PGCE does allow you to teach abroad.
Reply 10
The Masters in Education was mentioned in regards to one particular country as an example. Most other countries where teaching is a masters profession require a masters in the subject (at least for secondary).

In regards to the OP's question, a PGCE will allow you to teach abroad in many cases.
Reply 11
Thanks for all your responses. I gather from the above discussion then that the PGCE is merely a stepping stone with regards to teaching applications abroad. It helps in so far as it is proof that you can teach, but it is still necessary to pass any additional tests/ courses in order to "bring you up to scratch" as far as the country is concerned: some places will accept the PGCE as it is, others will want you to pretty much do a teaching qualification all over again. I know from speaking with French friends when I lived in France that becoming a teacher over there is difficult enough for nationals, let alone a foreigner. Of course speaking the language would be important and a masters can only be a bonus.
Reply 12
I'm trying to get my qualification (QTS + NQT, but not via a PGCE) approved to work in the state system in Norway at the moment, and I've realised that a) it's going to take a long time to sort out the correct paperwork and b) I need to pass a Norwegian language test and basically be fluent in the language. So I'm thinking it's going to be at least 2 years before I can start applying for state sector jobs here. Until then I'm planning to keep on learning the language and applying to private schools and language schools until I can pass the test.
Reply 13
Original post by Becca

Original post by Becca
I'm trying to get my qualification (QTS + NQT, but not via a PGCE) approved to work in the state system in Norway at the moment, and I've realised that a) it's going to take a long time to sort out the correct paperwork and b) I need to pass a Norwegian language test and basically be fluent in the language. So I'm thinking it's going to be at least 2 years before I can start applying for state sector jobs here. Until then I'm planning to keep on learning the language and applying to private schools and language schools until I can pass the test.

Hi Becca,

How is the teaching in Norway going? I was wondering if the PGCE was recognised over there? How long after QTS did you decide to go over there? I'm currently learning Norwegian and about to do a PGCE so would love to hear your experience...
Reply 14
Original post by tifur
Hi Becca,

How is the teaching in Norway going? I was wondering if the PGCE was recognised over there? How long after QTS did you decide to go over there? I'm currently learning Norwegian and about to do a PGCE so would love to hear your experience...

Just yesterday I started a new job as a teaching assistant in a primary school, so you could say it's not going as I expected!
I moved here as soon as I had finished my NQT year.
The PGCE is kind of recognised, as it's easier to get it "godkjent" than if you come from other countries outside the EU, but I am still going through the process after beginning it 6 months ago.
To be a teacher of MFL it's a bit easier, but if you want to teach Maths or Sicence, say, then you will need to take the Bergens Test (Norwegian Language test) and pass.
You also need certified copies of your degree certificate and transcript, your passport, CRB check, teaching certificate and probably something else which I've forgotten.

I had my application returned because my British CRB check was too old, but I was getting a Norwegian one for my job anyway so I have 3 months to send a copy of that.

Tbh, I kind of wish I'd just done a teaching degree here now, but it's 5 years so...plus I love my new job!
Reply 15
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Thanks Becca. Have sent you a PM. Thanks for the rest of the thread too :-)
Reply 17
Original post by yellow96
I asked at both my PGCE Secondary and my PGCE PCET interviews and was told that both qualifications translate to just about any first world country, including most of Europe, although there may be the odd place where they require something different.

There are exceptions. For example, you must qualify in France to get a job in the state system there. However, you can always look for jobs at international/independent schools. Everything really is case by case, even when it does translate, it could take some time, like Becca mentions above.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending