The Student Room Group

10 points, is this fair?!

I am looking for a clearing media course and am really wanting to go to Nottingham Trent. The clearing UCAS points needed for this course (which still has placements on it) its 240 points.

I was turned down because I had 230 points... is this fair??

I also explained to the person on the phone that I was ill during my exams, I even missed a whole module bringing down my grade and affecting my A levels as a result. The University page says you should be expected to be treated as an individual and I did not feel this at all.

Should I ring again and fight my case, or give up and resit to get enough points for next year?

Scroll to see replies

Point 1
If you were ill during an exam and informed an invigilator they will have informed the examination officer for your school who will have informed the exam board and you will have got an allowance in your marks for it. Do you expect further favours?
Point 2
You missd the grades. It is fair. 10 points is a lot. Get over it.
You can try again and speak to someone else, but personally I think you might be better waiting and applying for next year instead and do resits.
Reply 3
10 points is a whole grade in AS, so yes, it is fair. theyve said they want that amount and you dont meet it so try somewhere else?
(edited 13 years ago)
Yes it's perfectly fair.
I disagree, they should normally take other factors into account, and as ten points is only an AS grade difference unless they have a more qualified person also applying I don't see why they shouldnt allow it. If you call again you could get someone who is better at their job to pass on your case.

*Though in terms of fairness they are well within their rights
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
As others have said 10 points is a whole AS grade, that's a pretty big difference, so yes completely fair
Reply 7
It's a fair system. lol media.
Reply 8
Why waste 3 years of your life:
1. at Nottingham Trent
2. doing a media course?
hypocriticaljap
Point 1
If you were ill during an exam and informed an invigilator they will have informed the examination officer for your school who will have informed the exam board and you will have got an allowance in your marks for it. Do you expect further favours?
Point 2

Really?! Holy crap thats generous of them.
As others have said: 10 points is quite a lot, you missed the requirement, stop making excuses, get over it and apply elsewhere.
hypocriticaljap
Point 1
Point 2

Would it be possible if an exam went badly which I needed for uni to say I felt really ill and get an allowance?
Sternumator
Would it be possible if an exam went badly which I needed for uni to say I felt really ill and get an allowance?

no excuses i'm afraid, its a cruel fair world we live in, you could reapply next year
big-boss-91
no excuses i'm afraid, its a cruel fair world we live in, you could reapply next year

i havent missed an offer but hyperthetically if that happened and you told the invidulator at the time would it work?
liverpool only lost by 1 goal on sunday? is this fair? shouldn't they get a draw instead for the effort? of course its ******* fair, you missed the offer, why do they have to accept you?
Reply 15
Didn't you hear, there is significantly increased competition for uni places this year. Long gone are the days where you may have got in by falling slightly short. So in response, yes, yes it is fair you were rejected.
(edited 13 years ago)
Sternumator
i havent missed an offer but hyperthetically if that happened and you told the invidulator at the time would it work?

not with spelling like that.
Sternumator

You have to notify the invigilator AT THE TIME of the exam.
24craigour
Really?! Holy crap thats generous of them.

Not really.
It is a sliding scale and if your mother died the night before the exam you'd only get 5% allowance in marks so feeling ill won't get much!
hypocriticaljap
Not really.
It is a sliding scale and if your mother died the night before the exam you'd only get 5% allowance in marks so feeling ill won't get much!

Fair enough but all we get is "Oh really?" and then if you faint, they'll call the ambulance.

Latest

Trending

Trending