The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Scroll to see replies

blabla321

- NO CATERED ACCOMMODATION :frown: don't know if i'm making too much of a big deal of this one? but i was reallyy planning on waiting until the 2nd year to learn to cook in a kitchen shared between a few friends, instead of everyone in halls. I know i'll have to cook for myself eventually but i want 1 more year of being fed while i get used to doing everything else. there's enough to get used to in the first year :frown: i think being in catered would make the transition to uni easier. and cos i think it'd be nice everyone in halls eating together.

Not a problem really, I'm an awful cook and managed to stay alive.

- living a long bus journey away after the first year..wouldn't that be like going to school :/ you can't get out of bed late or just pop home

Nothing like going to school, but yeah, the bus journeys are annoying. Not the biggest problem in the world though...

- lots of people say about the campus being a 'bubble'

So?

any advice?
and what are the people like? posh, geeks? normal and friendly (hopefully this!)?

Varied.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
screenager2004
That's only if you live in Leam, which only 40% of students chose to do in their second year.

Where did you get that figure? I ask because, a) it seems intuitively false: the vast majority of people I know are living in Leam, and b) the SU has absolutely no idea what the Cov/Leam proportions are.
Grape190190
Where did you get that figure? I ask because, a) it seems intuitively false: the vast majority of people I know are living in Leam, and b) the SU has absolutely no idea what the Cov/Leam proportions are.

Bear in mind that of international students (which comprise over 30% of the student body) the vast majority I knew went to live in Cov. It wouldn't suprise me if that were true, that 40% is still a huge amount of people for most of the people you know to be in that group.
oh my god i can't believe that not having catered accomodation is such a big deal for you. are you sure you're mature enough to even go to university? have you never cooked for yourself? it's really not that expensive and doesn't take much time at all. plus there is a costcutters really close to the main accomodation if you're really in a rush.

warwick was the least snotty university i visited. when i went to a bristol open day everyone was dead posh and i felt really uncomfortable amongst all the braying private school-ers. warwick has a lovely atmosphere and i feel really at home. and living off-campus and having a bus journey isn't a massive deal, really. i like having that distance between my 'home' and 'study time', i feel like i've made the effort to go in and so i'm going to learn something, plus you can go to the library in breaks between lectures, so i actually got stuff done. if you're still in abject horror at the idea of a 15-20 min bus journey (sometimes less!) then just live in canley, just outside campus.

seriously, chill out, cooking for yourself is not that big a deal. i massively prefer it because i'm fussy and have some allergies, and this is the real world, at 18 years old you should have no problems cooking for yourself...jeez
blabla321
+ love the course. Tbh it's the only course i've found i'm interested in :s-smilie:
+ good student union
+ nice campus
+ good reputation - i think the guardian even rated it 3rd
+ only AAB/ABB offer for the course I like. Other unis I'm looking at that aren't even as good want AAA

- NO CATERED ACCOMMODATION :frown: don't know if i'm making too much of a big deal of this one? but i was reallyy planning on waiting until the 2nd year to learn to cook in a kitchen shared between a few friends, instead of everyone in halls. I know i'll have to cook for myself eventually but i want 1 more year of being fed while i get used to doing everything else. there's enough to get used to in the first year :frown: i think being in catered would make the transition to uni easier. and cos i think it'd be nice everyone in halls eating together.

- living a long bus journey away after the first year..wouldn't that be like going to school :/ you can't get out of bed late or just pop home

- lots of people say about the campus being a 'bubble'

any advice?
and what are the people like? posh, geeks? normal and friendly (hopefully this!)?

You could probably pay someone to do a lot of your shopping/cooking.
happinessxo
oh my god i can't believe that not having catered accomodation is such a big deal for you. are you sure you're mature enough to even go to university? have you never cooked for yourself?

This. As someone who grew up doing cooking, cleaning, washing and ironing at home I do understand that not everyone had the same upbringing and that some students do arrive at University never having cooked for themselves. But thats the whole point of it!

I'd already lived away from home by the time I went to Uni, but for most - it is the first time living away from your parents and thats part of the experience. Being able to cook for yourself is pretty mandatory - but it's not scary, it's not hard and it doesn't take a lot of effort. Most foods from supermarkets have cooking instructions or meal suggestions on the packet - how hard can it be?

I really suggest you learn a few basic meals to cook this year - just spend one evening a week helping your Mum or Dad cook the dinner and soon you'll be able to do it yourself. And don't come up with some excuse about how you couldn't possibly have the time as it's your A2s - it's one hour of your time a week. Substitue a tv program for it.

Honestly - I really think you need to learn to cook.
Grape190190

The number of Warwick Accommodation properties available in Coventry and in Leamington. I'd assume the university would have responded to demand, it seems like the business-savvy thing to do. Plus I remember something about it in last year's terminal issue of the accommodation magazine.

Weird, all the people I know went to Coventry, only the artsy party animals went to Cov, science, maths and economics students stuck to cov, in my experience.
screenager2004
The number of Warwick Accommodation properties available in Coventry and in Leamington. I'd assume the university would have responded to demand, it seems like the business-savvy thing to do. Plus I remember something about it in last year's terminal issue of the accommodation magazine.

Weird, all the people I know went to Coventry, only the artsy party animals went to Cov, science, maths and economics students stuck to cov, in my experience.

Well I lived with a house full of science students and everyone I knew from my course lived in leam.

Obviously people will have different viewpoints as peoples social circles will tend to remain together in terms of location - if all your friends are choosing to live in leam, so will you. Hence, to an individual, it will seem like the vast majority of people live where they live.

Warwick Accommodation has a larger number of Cov properties because it is closer and, to be frank, has a larger demand for the 'insurance' which renting through accommodation provides due to the checks they carry out at their managed properties.
I agree it's ridiculous. Cooking, washing and ironing are all jobs for women.

Latest

Trending

Trending