The Student Room Group

I'm going insane; literally insane - how can I straighten out my life?

This job hunt is driving me insane. Since I came out of my old job I thought 'ooo this will be a chance for some nice lie ins'. Not ******* much it's been. Since I started sending my CV out, I keep getting calls from agencies and have had telephone interview after telephone interview after telephone interview after agency interview after agency interview. They all seem to be in the morning as well, so I have to be there with my little notebook all prepared at like 9am. I've had to travel around loads as well like setting out early to go to cities like 20 miles away.

Some of the interviews were actually funny because I was rejected for really funny reasons (the woman didn't believe I'd move to the job - I live 100 miles away from it, another man rejected me because I'd done voluntary work and therefore this was evidence of me being 'not money-motivated' lol, and someone else said 'oh we're just saturated with graduates to be honest with ya babe' :rolleyes:). I believe that fate put those interviews were put in front of me to clarify my future direction though because they really changed my mind with the kind of career I wish to pursue, and the feedback was really useful for completely different reasons as all of the jobs were in the same sector and the interviews showed really different (negative) aspects of that sector.

I've had a couple of face to face interviews and was offered one decent job which starts in a couple of weeks (I've accepted it for the time being but am not going to end the process for the other ones for which I'm being considered). I had a face to face interview today for a job about 20 miles from where I live (I commuted on public transport which was fun) and so I had to get up early for that. On Thursday I have an assessment centre for another job 30 miles away where I'd have to move for it but the salary's crap. So I'm going all this distance and I don't even think I can do the job.

Aaagh I feel like my life is such an actual mess atm. How can I straighten it out? Like I feel fortunate to be hearing back from companies, but I'm constantly waiting by my phone or missing calls and I've got about 15 messages on there from recruitment consultants and it's making me scared to answer my phone.

Even this thread is a big jumbled mess of my thoughts. I'm a nervous wreck. :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
look at a different career if this path isnt working?
just a thought, ive never had a job so cant really relate too much
This is why I wanna stay in uni as long as possible.
And when I do leave hopefully I will be so specific I wont have to compete with millions of other unemployed.
Reply 3
You should hve gone to a better uni.
Man up and look at those messages. You have a job too, so why worry?
Reply 5
mathew551
Man up and look at those messages. You have a job too, so why worry?

I just don't like to turn down opportunities if they present themselves, and so I'm juggling about 10 balls at the moment and it's driving me round the bend. :frown:
i can't even juggle 2 balls
Reply 7
Don't stress, OP. The process of job hunting and doing interviews is going to be manic - nothing fits into a routine, and your day to day life has no uncertainty. There's no solution other than to know things will settle once you've got a stable position. There's no point in even trying to normalise things at this point in time!
hulon
I just don't like to turn down opportunities if they present themselves, and so I'm juggling about 10 balls at the moment and it's driving me round the bend. :frown:

Ah, I see what you mean. Do not panic; you must try to calm yourself down. Sit down with a nice cuppa, and recalibrate your mind. Go to bed early, have plenty of rest, and then on the following day you'll be able to work methodically with a clearer mind. =]

Congratulations for getting at least one job offer anyway, btw. (Y)

Latest

Trending

Trending