The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Will I be able to afford it?

I've heard that studying in london is expensive and this is putting me off. I dont know if I'll be able to afford to go to imperial. Hopefully I should get some busaries (single parent, parents didnt go to university, low income etc...) but will they be enough?

Im also considering a year in industry which will give me about an extra £10,000

Also, what are imperials policy on retakes? I want to do mechanical engineering but have retaken 2 maths modules (because I did them in year 11) but I have finished my maths now and have an A*
plod2
I've heard that studying in london is expensive and this is putting me off. I dont know if I'll be able to afford to go to imperial. Hopefully I should get some busaries (single parent, parents didnt go to university, low income etc...) but will they be enough?

Im also considering a year in industry which will give me about an extra £10,000

Also, what are imperials policy on retakes? I want to do mechanical engineering but have retaken 2 maths modules (because I did them in year 11) but I have finished my maths now and have an A*

I'm not sure about the retakes, I can't really see it being a problem, especially if you took it early but it would be best just to phone and ask. Also, not sure if you have thought about other universitys but I believe Durham is good for Engineering :yep:

As for money, as far as I know, you get more money from student finance for being in London as living costs are higher and by the sound of it, from your background, you should get a good amount of money, you wouldnt be able to do it without the loan, but most people can't.

x
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
you would probable also have to get part job whilst at uni though
Reply 3
plod2

The student finance they give you will be enough - I believe the maximum you can get is 11k in maintenance loans/grants/bursaries.

That's easily enough to live on if you get cheap accommodation ( which in london is probably anything under 110 quid a week)
sunspoon
The student finance they give you will be enough - I believe the maximum you can get is 11k in maintenance loans/grants/bursaries.

That's easily enough to live on if you get cheap accommodation ( which in london is probably anything under 110 quid a week)

actually i get the full amount and its only just short of 8.5k nowhere near the 11k you are on about

but imperial's own bursary system will give you a maximum of 3.5k if you qualify for it
Reply 5
VersaEmerge
actually i get the full amount and its only just short of 8.5k nowhere near the 11k you are on about

but imperial's own bursary system will give you a maximum of 3.5k if you qualify for it

plus tuition fees.... forgot about them woops.
plod2

I'm in the same situation as you financial wise.

My accommodation is 100 a week which has left me with a budget of 100 a week at least which is easily enough going on what others have said.

Latest

Trending

Trending