The Student Room Group

My economics choices - good enough, too ambitious? what do you think?

I did 9 GCSEs all at A*.

I am studying maths, further maths, economics and physics and have just started year 13.

I am predicted 3A*s and an A(further maths).

My AS scores were:

Maths (91%) did the whole A level in first year (as opposed to doing AS maths and AS further maths together) but didnt get the A*, should do with 2 retakes.

Economics (100%)

Physics (96%)

I am applying to do economics, and i have alot of extra curricular and economic related things, but i dont believe my personal statement is the best (just being honest, I struggle wording these things) but it definitely shows my interest in the subject way beyond curriculum.

My choices are Cambridge, UCL, Warwick, Nottingham and Birmingham.

Are they too ambitious? or not enough so? Should i replace nottingham with LSE or not have birmingham as a back up and include both notts and LSE? I am not willing to change the other 3 though haha :smile:. what do you guys think?

Oh and btw the reason i say my PS is average is because everyone seems to ask 'Assuming my PS is good, what chance do I have?' and realistically most of these PSs just won't be good. When I say average I don't mean its bad by any means, but not a tier above (outstanding) many other very good economic applicants. If that makes any sense what so ever... lol.

I also assume my reference will be good, but thats as far as that goes too (for cambridge). Not outstanding. For the other universities though they are writing a different reference and that is pretty strong. All universities will see all my AS scores as it is my school policy if I am applying to these unis, not sure if thats good or bad considerin the lack of A* in whole maths A level this year but I am predicted to get it by the end of this A2 year nonetheless.

I've tried to give a full overview, would appreciate anyones opinions be it harsh or whatnot.

Thanks!
(edited 13 years ago)
Try the personal statement forums they could help. To be honest I would leave Birmingham and Nottingham, it really never does hurt to have a realy insurance choice :smile: You sound like an excellent candidate besides, as far as I can see. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
You have excellent grades but they're all pretty competitive!

Look at the TAELT - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1382873

With the ones you have it's THREE Ridiculously Ridiculously competitive unis (Camb no.3, UCL no.4, Warwick no.5). If you put LSE in too (no.1) that will be four of the top five which may be a bit too risky. Nottingham is number 6 (ridiculously competitive) so you do need a back up or two so definitely leave Birmingham :yep:

Edit: Also take a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=658957
economics guide

OK but in terms of economics what are the top places?
It is commonly accepted that the Top 5 are (LSE, Cambridge/Oxford, UCL/Warwick) (the ordering is mine). You can’t apply for all 5 as you can’t apply for both Oxford and Cambridge. However, lots of people seem to want to apply to 4 of the top 5. I am not necessarily convinced this is a good idea. I think that if 3 of the top 5 universities say no that the 4th probably will say no as well. Hence there is merit in applying to 2 universities outside the top 5 instead of 1.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
miranda-ae
Try the personal statement forums they could help. To be honest I would leave Birmingham and Nottingham, it really never does hurt to have a realy insurance choice :smile: You sound like an excellent candidate besides, as far as I can see. Good luck :smile:

Thanks! I was also wondering (this goes to anyone else who sees this) that maybe there are better insurance offers I could go for with similar entrance requirements / acceptance rates? Like should I swap birmingham for another uni which will serve as a backup but kind of better etc?
Reply 4
ily_em
You have excellent grades but they're all pretty competitive!

Look at the TAELT - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1382873

With the ones you have it's THREE Ridiculously Ridiculously competitive unis (Camb no.3, UCL no.4, Warwick no.5). If you put LSE in too (no.1) that will be four of the top five which may be a bit too risky. Nottingham is number 6 (ridiculously competitive) so you do need a back up or two so definitely leave Birmingham :yep:

Ye you are right and if i don't get UCL or Warwick its unlikely I'll get LSE right? Which is why I was thinking maybe apply for a joint honours in say Economics + Economic history. Then my ps might be a bit rubbish for the economic history side.
Reply 5
They're ok choices; with your GCSEs i would probably switch UCL for LSE unless you prefer UCL to LSE. LSE just like to see more A*s at GCSE than UCL and with your number of A*s obviously your in a slightly better position for LSE than UCL. However, you have a great chance at any of the top 5 so apply to the unis there that you are most interested in studying at. You have a decent chance at Warwick, Nottingham and Birmingham with your high GCSEs and A level grades. Obviously Cambridge is more of a lottery with the interview; but you should get offered an interview then it comes down to that.
Reply 6
cenan
Thanks! I was also wondering (this goes to anyone else who sees this) that maybe there are better insurance offers I could go for with similar entrance requirements / acceptance rates? Like should I swap birmingham for another uni which will serve as a backup but kind of better etc?

Have another look at the TAELT :smile:

cenan
Ye you are right and if i don't get UCL or Warwick its unlikely I'll get LSE right? Which is why I was thinking maybe apply for a joint honours in say Economics + Economic history. Then my ps might be a bit rubbish for the economic history side.

That might be a bit risky. You probably need to make your PS very economics focussed as the other unis are so competitive, meaning your application would be weak from them if you mentioned the history. Probably better to apply for straight econ everywhere (not entirely sure; it might be perfectly fine for you to do that so wait for advice from more knowledgeable people :P )
Reply 7
cenan

If i was in your position with your grades i would be in no way prepared to go to a university outside of the top 11. I would therefore swap Birmingham for Durham, Bath or St Andrews. Avoid Edinburgh or Bristol as an insurance choice; scottish bias and high applicants to offers ratio being the reasons. I would personally go for Durham as they like to see a high number of A*s at GCSE; 5 A*s minumum is the number being thrown around as far as i know. Bath would also be ok as they filter out applicants without A* GCSE maths if they get enough applications from able applicants; obviously you meet the requirements easily and have A* in GCSE maths, so Baths a good choice as well.
Reply 8
orca92
They're ok choices; with your GCSEs i would probably switch UCL for LSE unless you prefer UCL to LSE. LSE just like to see more A*s at GCSE than UCL and with your number of A*s obviously your in a slightly better position for LSE than UCL. However, you have a great chance at any of the top 5 so apply to the unis there that you are most interested in studying at. You have a decent chance at Warwick, Nottingham and Birmingham with your high GCSEs and A level grades. Obviously Cambridge is more of a lottery with the interview; but you should get offered an interview then it comes down to that.

Honestly, if i get birmingham and nothing else I probably will take a gap year, I wouldnt be happy going there. I do need a back up like Birmingham however just incase I have nothing to do in that gap year, but it really is my last resort.

I prefer UCL over LSE as it is *slightly* less competitive, and I just love the university. LSE have alot of foreign students and its economics applicant numbers are just absolutely ridiculous. I don't know, am I wrong? I remember something like 1 in 30 get an offer :s-smilie:
Reply 9
ily_em
Have another look at the TAELT :smile:

That might be a bit risky. You probably need to make your PS very economics focussed as the other unis are so competitive, meaning your application would be weak from them if you mentioned the history. Probably better to apply for straight econ everywhere (not entirely sure; it might be perfectly fine for you to do that so wait for advice from more knowledgeable people :P )

haha thanks! I just don't think I'll bother with LSE. Too competitive and I just love straight economics courses anyway!
Reply 10
orca92
If i was in your position with your grades i would be in no way prepared to go to a university outside of the top 11. I would therefore swap Birmingham for Durham, Bath or St Andrews. Avoid Edinburgh or Bristol as an insurance choice; scottish bias and high applicants to offers ratio being the reasons. I would personally go for Durham as they like to see a high number of A*s at GCSE; 5 A*s minumum is the number being thrown around as far as i know. Bath would also be ok as they filter out applicants without A* GCSE maths if they get enough applications from able applicants; obviously you meet the requirements easily and have A* in GCSE maths, so Baths a good choice as well.

Thanks for the advice! I had that mentaility but saw people I knew get 3A*s at A level and get no offers anywhere apart from Birmingham (even having applied to Bath and Nottingham too).

In addition, out of the ridiculously competitive from TAELT nottingham is the only one i'd be 'ok' with going to. This is because of reputation and beautiful campus. Realistically I just want one of my top 3 lol.
Reply 11
cenan
Honestly, if i get birmingham and nothing else I probably will take a gap year, I wouldnt be happy going there. I do need a back up like Birmingham however just incase I have nothing to do in that gap year, but it really is my last resort.

I prefer UCL over LSE as it is *slightly* less competitive, and I just love the university. LSE have alot of foreign students and its economics applicant numbers are just absolutely ridiculous. I don't know, am I wrong? I remember something like 1 in 30 get an offer :s-smilie:

LSE get more applications (international students seeing the London School of Economics label and thinking it's the best of the best etc) but they tend to get rid of all applicants with low GCSE grades, less than 7 A*s. At UCL you'll be competing with applicants with these lower GCSE grades who may have better A level profiles than you. In my opinion LSE is slightly easier than UCL in your case, but they are both competitve and you should go for the one you prefer; this seems to be UCL, which you have a decent chance at.

I'd also look at Exeter as an alternative to Birmingham if you're unsure on that choice; Exeter tends to be easy to get a high offer from (AAA). However, i would in your position use Bath as an insurance; yes, it's risky but if you were to mess up the year you may decide to go there rather than reapply to the top 5.

Ultimately you have a decent shot at any university and if Notts is the lowest you'd go but you want a definite option of university next year, then leave your choices the same and go for Bham and Notts along with your top 3.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Use the PS help forum and if you want I can read it and see if I think it's good.

How much do you want to go to LSE? In my opinion you would be unlucky with a rejection from Birmingham so I would replace Nottingham with LSE.

cenan
Thanks for the advice! I had that mentaility but saw people I knew get 3A*s at A level and get no offers anywhere apart from Birmingham (even having applied to Bath and Nottingham too).

In addition, out of the ridiculously competitive from TAELT nottingham is the only one i'd be 'ok' with going to. This is because of reputation and beautiful campus. Realistically I just want one of my top 3 lol.

If you would not be happy to go to Birmingham then why don't you replace Birmingham with one in the top10? I see the point about 3 rejecting you from top 5 then the 4th is likely to as well, but I hear many people on here say they got into one of the top 5 but not another. And your grades are good enough for them so you could be in that position.

Only hint, maybe not cash in C3 and C4 (I think those are the ones you need for A* in maths). Otherwise you have a pretty flawless application - all GCSEs taken A*, 4 of the best subjects (only better if take english lit / history on top) and great UMS.
(edited 13 years ago)
^ Agreed.

Disagree with those who suggest UCL will be a better choice than LSE. Also, your rejection from UCL or Warwick wouldn't affect your application to LSE - so a rejection from UCL/Warwick couldn't mean a likely rejection from LSE because your grades are more than satisfactory for all of them (-rejection from UCL, offer from Warwick and LSE-) So yeah imo better and fairer chance at LSE; I was going to suggest switching UCL to LSE but you seem to like UCL :yep:

As for Cambridge, they'll probably offer you an interview as they do with most of their applicants (I wasn't predicted 3 A*s but I was still interviewed.)

Definitely have and keep a back up in case you a) do not make the grades b) get really super unlucky :frown: When I applied all my offers were AAA (maybe AAB from Bath - but even that was just luck) so it's nice to just have that reassurance there when the time comes.

Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 14
Birmingham is a great backup, you should get an offer quite early as your grades are very strong. I don't think you're too ambitious. I went with 4 of the top 5 last year! You have a good chance. My only worry is that you didn't get the A* in maths first time. But then again you did it in half the time and your subject combination is great. All I can say is good luck and make sure you get that A* in maths!
Reply 15
Chelle-belle
^ Agreed.

Disagree with those who suggest UCL will be a better choice than LSE. Also, your rejection from UCL or Warwick wouldn't affect your application to LSE - so a rejection from UCL/Warwick couldn't mean a likely rejection from LSE because your grades are more than satisfactory for all of them (-rejection from UCL, offer from Warwick and LSE-) So yeah imo better and fairer chance at LSE; I was going to suggest switching UCL to LSE but you seem to like UCL :yep:

As for Cambridge, they'll probably offer you an interview as they do with most of their applicants (I wasn't predicted 3 A*s but I was still interviewed.)

Definitely have and keep a back up in case you a) do not make the grades b) get really super unlucky :frown: When I applied all my offers were AAA (maybe AAB from Bath - but even that was just luck) so it's nice to just have that reassurance there when the time comes.

Good luck :biggrin:

I phoned LSE and they basically said ur welcome to apply for us but in ur situation its likely you will not get an offer from us due to not getting the A* in maths straight away lol. So thats made my mind up about LSE then. As for nottingham it is between them and Bath for me, and I still need to make my mind up about having birmingham or not lol.

Oh and I'm also considering Durham.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
danny111
Use the PS help forum and if you want I can read it and see if I think it's good.

How much do you want to go to LSE? In my opinion you would be unlucky with a rejection from Birmingham so I would replace Nottingham with LSE.

If you would not be happy to go to Birmingham then why don't you replace Birmingham with one in the top10? I see the point about 3 rejecting you from top 5 then the 4th is likely to as well, but I hear many people on here say they got into one of the top 5 but not another. And your grades are good enough for them so you could be in that position.

Only hint, maybe not cash in C3 and C4 (I think those are the ones you need for A* in maths). Otherwise you have a pretty flawless application - all GCSEs taken A*, 4 of the best subjects (only better if take english lit / history on top) and great UMS.

Hey thanks for the advice!

Basically I phoned LSE and they said it would be unlikely theyd give me an offer with my maths situation (not getting A* this year due to only gettign 80 ums for C3). Hmmm that takes that out the running then lol now its whether or not to have bath instead of birmingham or durham instead of nottingham, or some kind of combination etc.

Also, all my universities will see all my grades UMS wise regardless of whether I cash in C3 and C4 (which im not) as that is our schools policy on oxbridge candidates. It could either be really good for me (economics and physics wise) but bad for me because of my lack of maths A*.
Reply 17
I'm pretty similar to you, sent my ucas off today for oxford, lse, ucl, nottingham and southampton as my backup :biggrin:
good luck!
Reply 18
I'm pretty similar to you, sent my ucas off today for oxford, lse, ucl, nottingham and southampton as my backup :biggrin:
good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending