The Student Room Group

Bleeding after brushing teeth?

I've noticed slight amounts of blood in the paste after using my new tooth brush and toothpaste. My old brush was small and simple where as my new one is pretty huge and bulky (also switched from Colgate to Sensodyne if that matters).

I've looked up gum disease and gingivitis. My gums don't appear to be red, swollen or painful and I can't really tell where it's bleeding from but it's happened without fail every time. It could just be my new brush but I've tried being more gentle but still hit bleeds. It also leaves quite a bad taste in my mouth not sure if that's down to the different toothpaste or the blood :confused:

I mean my gums look pretty healthy but when I pull my lip right down it's purple and veiny. Not sure if it's meant to be like that not often you see that part of somebodies gums! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

why does this have to be anon?
:smile:

It takes a while for your teeth and gums to adjust to the new brush. Blood is a sign that you were using your old toothbrush for too long.

In future, change your toothbrush regularly to avoid the problem.
Reply 3
Sounds like early stage gum disease, probably you're just brushing more effectively with the new brush and it'll heal up again in a few days if you keep doing the same areas but gently. My stepsister switched to sensodine cos her gums bled when she brushed but sensodine is really designed for a different problem and I don't think it'll make any difference, probably won't do any harm either though.
Small brushes are also good btw - about the size of an oral-b 35
Oh i had that problem too, like my gums would bleed every time I brushed my teeth , but then eventually it stopped, idk how, but it did, and yeah, hasnt happened since. I think they are certain vitamins that you can take, to strengthen your gums. I don't know about the using the toothbrush too long method, cos regardless if i used it too long or if i changed it frequently, it still bleeds. maybe u have sensitive/weak gums like i do, just take some vitamin supplements and you shall be fine. nothing to worry about. =)
It could be a sign of gum infection or maybe you're brushing your teeth too hard.
it means you have started brushing properly NOW.
Keep doing it the same way and the blood will disappear, eventually.
Reply 7
Gosh, I though I was the one :P
It happens to me too
My dentist has told me that it is a sign of gum inflammation. The treatment is thorough teeth cleaning twice daily and corsodyl or similar mouth wash. Make sure that you're not scrubbing too hard too.
Reply 9
Brush your gums as well as your teeth.
Reply 10
Happened to a friend of mine. He soon died.
Bleeding gums is one of the early stages of gum disease, it means your not brushing your gums enough. start brushing your gums properly for a good few minutes a few times a day and after a couple of weeks it should stop :smile:
Reply 12
I'm sure it's gum disease, I've had it loads when I had braces. Your old brush obviously got too soft and wasn't brushing your gums hard enough. Just keep at it with the new brush and they'll be fine, it's nothing to worry about.
Keep doing it & it'll stop eventually. And rinse with anti-bacterial mouthwash like Listerne or Corsodyl or something :smile:
bleeding of the gum suggests that you are brushing too hard or you dont brush regularly with a soft brush

while for the purple gums and veins it could be a form of weak gum disease , I would advise seeing your local dentist and changing to a soft brush to stop more damage :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
almost certainly gum disease (unless you have other bleeding problems - nosebleeds etc?). brush for 2 minutes twice a day, preferably with an electric toothbrush. Replace brush regularly. floss daily. use mouthwash. see a dentist regularly.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
jimbo139
almost certainly gum disease (unless you have other bleeding problems - nosebleeds etc?). brush for 2 minutes twice a day, preferably with an electric toothbrush. Replace brush regularly. floss daily. use mouthwash. see a dentist regularly.

Because just brishing his teeth too hard is out of the question?

Once, I thought I had something like gingivitis, because every time I brushed my teeth, I'd bleed, turned out, my toothbrush had a little chip in it under the bristles and I was literally slicing my gums open. 3 days later, I found out and was not a happy bunny :colonhash:

Fun times.

(Before anyone suggests I seek financial compensation, I did it myself, I brush way too hard.)
Healthy gums never bleed. Keep brushing properly and it will go away in 2-3 weeks.
Reply 18
Yer, I sometimes get this fro brushing too hard. At one point it was pissing me off, so I went to see the dentist who told me I brushed so hard I was pushing the gums back over the root of my teeth...
Reply 19
I sometimes get this but rarely... if it happens everytime, I would talk to your dentist!

Latest