The Student Room Group

Doing C3, C4 and S2 In january

Hi

Here's the situation. I'm doing maths and further maths and Because two of the further maths exams I have to do in June, I decided to all my A2 Maths in January (C3, C4 and S2) and A2 Further Maths in June (Fp2, Fp3 and M2) For my AS I did 6 exams and got 5 A's, and 1 D (in D1 :mad: ) Depending how I do during the year, I might retake D1

But we now have this new maths teacher saying that edexcel don't allow people to do all of the A2 maths in January meaning that i would have to basically move both S2 and C4 in June :eek: This would mean that I would be in the class not learning anything new due to me knowing all the stuff already :mad: :mad: :mad: On top of this, he says that becuase I got 89% and not 90% in FP1, that I can't get an A* for further maths :s-smilie:

So I need to know, am I allowed to do C3, C4 and S2 in January (On track for an A*) Also, would my FP1 score affect my chances for an A*?

Thanks
You can get an A* in FP1 (even I got 89 in FP1, :woo: ) but yeah, you are still in with a strong chance, I think. I don't know if Edexcel has a rule like that though but you can wait can't you? There's no harm in waiting! Besides, if you relearn all that stuff, your knowledge is only going to be stronger and you'll do even better in June.

Have you considered doing C3 and C4 in January and maybe S2 in June? Because it's important you get 90%+ in C3 & C4 so if you don't in January, you can have a second shot at it in June. I'd leave FP3/M2 for later too, just because, they are really difficult modules!
Reply 2
cpdavis
Hi

But we now have this new maths teacher saying that edexcel don't allow people to do all of the A2 maths in January So I need to know, am I allowed to do C3, C4 and S2 in January (On track for an A*)
Thanks

Untrue. There are some units not offered in January but C3, C4 and S2 are. Edexcel have no such rule. It may be that your school does not intend to offer some of them in January, but that is a different matter.

cpdavis

On top of this, he says that becuase I got 89% and not 90% in FP1, that I can't get an A* for further maths :s-smilie:
So I need to know, would my FP1 score affect my chances for an A*?
Thanks

Again nonsense, you need to average 90% (i.e. 270 UMS) from your 3 best A2 units in Further maths with an overall average 80% across all 6 units.
Reply 3
nikita_atikin
You can get an A* in FP1 (even I got 89 in FP1, :woo: ) but yeah, you are still in with a strong chance, I think. I don't know if Edexcel has a rule like that though but you can wait can't you? There's no harm in waiting! Besides, if you relearn all that stuff, your knowledge is only going to be stronger and you'll do even better in June.

Have you considered doing C3 and C4 in January and maybe S2 in June? Because it's important you get 90%+ in C3 & C4 so if you don't in January, you can have a second shot at it in June. I'd leave FP3/M2 for later too, just because, they are really difficult modules!

Well somebody say that to me, but I really don't want to have 5 maths exams in June again. I did for AS, and I did well in 4 and flunked badly in one :frown:

I would have also done that, but my teacher won't even let me do M2 in January, so his left me like :confused:
Reply 4
gdunne42
Untrue. There are some units not offered in January but C3, C4 and S2 are. Edexcel have no such rule. It may be that your school does not intend to offer some of them in January, but that is a different matter.

Thanks for the info. Are old teacher made us complete S2 for January but went on maternity leave. Now this guy has come and said we are not allowed to do this :rant:

Thanks again, if anything will speak to head of school :yep:
(edited 13 years ago)
Here is the timetable
http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/I%20want%20to%20%20Tasks/Examination-timetable-GCE-Jan-115.pdf
All maths modules (except FP2, FP3, M4, M5, S3, D2) can be taken in January 2011, so what your teacher said was wrong
cpdavis
Hi

Here's the situation. I'm doing maths and further maths and Because two of the further maths exams I have to do in June, I decided to all my A2 Maths in January (C3, C4 and S2) and A2 Further Maths in June (Fp2, Fp3 and M2) For my AS I did 6 exams and got 5 A's, and 1 D (in D1 :mad: ) Depending how I do during the year, I might retake D1

But we now have this new maths teacher saying that edexcel don't allow people to do all of the A2 maths in January meaning that i would have to basically move both S2 and C4 in June :eek: This would mean that I would be in the class not learning anything new due to me knowing all the stuff already :mad: :mad: :mad: On top of this, he says that becuase I got 89% and not 90% in FP1, that I can't get an A* for further maths :s-smilie:

So I need to know, am I allowed to do C3, C4 and S2 in January (On track for an A*) Also, would my FP1 score affect my chances for an A*?

Thanks

Ok well I am not sure what the rules are on when you can do an exam. But I thought the way it worked was to get an A* in further maths, you had to average 90% across 3 of FP2, FP3, FP4, M2 or S2. I didn't think FP1 was included in that list was it?
And even if it was, scoring 89% is still pretty amazing, it's not a bad footing to be on to get an A*. :smile:

You want to make sure you do well in C3 and C4, because if you average 90% across those two, you get an A* in maths. My experience was that C3 was really easy, and C4 seemed really easy but then you realised it wasn't quite as easy. So just be aware of that.

The FP modules are obviously harder, so just try as best you can. I think it is a good idea that you want to spread out your exams across january and june. I had to do 7 maths exams in June. :frown: And it is harder when you have that many.

Go talk to someone other than your maths teacher. Try the head of maths or something, just get past this guy! :smile:
Best of luck!
Reply 7
cpdavis
Thanks for the info. Are old teacher made us complete S2 for January but went on maturity leave. Now this guy has come and said we are not allowed to do this :rant:

Thanks again, if anything will speak to head of school :yep:

Maturity leave? Really?

Latest

Trending

Trending