The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Good bloke
You are wrong on five counts: (a) The OP is not female; (b) the OP doesn't want to re-sit history; (c) a certificated AS is a complete qualification; (d) an intended re-sit does not change the fact that an AS has been certificated and (e) you do have to declare certificated AS qualifications, even if re-sitting some modules.

Apart from those minor points your post was very helpful. :smile:

I need your help! My school doesn't cash in grades, but I convinced the exams officer to cash mine in. I'm not so sure if they actually did, but they said that I'd be fine to put my grades on.

What headings do I put my AS grades under? "GCE Advanced Subsidiary 2001"? And then modular marks next to each modular grade?
Reply 21
If your school has cashed in and certified any of your results you have to state them but if your school has not then you don't have to state them, find out if your school has or hasn't! Your AS results are good anyway so personally I would put them down but it's up to you.
Reply 22
Good bloke
Do you want to run the risk of losing any offers you receive or of disqualification from the UCAS system?

I could say i forgot.. :rolleyes:
Doughnuts!!

What headings do I put my AS grades under? "GCE Advanced Subsidiary 2001"? And then modular marks next to each modular grade?

Yes. You don't declare UMS, only grades.
Soosile
I could say i forgot.. :rolleyes:

That would cut no ice with the admissions tutors. You make a declaration when you submit the application that everything is accurate. And, as a university applicant you are supposed to have more sense.
Good bloke
Yes. You don't declare UMS, only grades.

Really?!? :eek3:

I was told that we could put module marks down if we wished. And I DO wish to do that! So you're saying individual module grades= YES, but module marks= NO?
Doughnuts!!
Really?!? :eek3:

I was told that we could put module marks down if we wished. And I DO wish to do that! So you're saying individual module grades= YES, but module marks= NO?

I'm not saying it; I've already said it. It is amazing what poor advice schools give to their pupils.
Good bloke
I'm sorry, but you clearly don't understand what is involved, and are giving misleading advice.

Re-sitting a module does not change whether an AS has been certificated . You can re-sit a module of a certificated AS and must declare both the existing overall grade and the pending re-sit. On the orher habd you might have an uncertificated AS, in which case you don't declare its grade, even if you aren't re-sitting any modules.

Certification also has nothing whatever to do with whether a subject is being continued on to a full A level. Many schools certificate AS grades that are being continued, others don't.

My grades were not certificated at AS and none of them were mentioned on my ucas. Did my school make a mistake here?
kbountra
My grades were not certificated at AS and none of them were mentioned on my ucas. Did my school make a mistake here?

That was correct as you don't declare the grades of uncertificated AS qualifications, though you do have to declare them as pending (obviously).
Good bloke
I'm not saying it; I've already said it. It is amazing what poor advice schools give to their pupils.

:eek3:

So unis only see module grades? Ie A in Unit 1, B in Unit 2 etc? And outstanding module marks only get mentioned in the reference?

What would I do without your indispensable advice? :rolleyes: I would rep you, but I almost certainly wouldn't get repped back :p:
Good bloke
x

Can i ask what does certifying mean, you see i don't know if my school cashed in my grade and i can't get in contact with my exam officer. Does certifying mean i'll get a certificate after the exam? i don't have a certificate, are my results not cashed in?

that's only one problem, but i did my A2 exams in another centre. Would the exam results from 2 centres be recognised as 1 full a-level. How do i go about putting that information on ucas.

Lastly due to my AS being not cashed in(at least i dont think it has, no certificate) and my other centre said they've cashed in my A2, what in the bloody hell would i recieve?
and say if i want to resit my AS would the uni be like he has put down the A2 grade but has AS as pending and think something has gone wrong.

Sorry i'm in abit of a sticky situation, my school didn't help me at all.
Good bloke
That was correct as you don't declare the grades of uncertificated AS qualifications, though you do have to declare them as pending (obviously).

SORRY! Apologies for misleading advice as I thought the way that my school did it was universal. I will delete as appropriate.
Reply 32
Alright, I will be declaring them, thanks for all the help!
Reply 33
pk550
Alright, I will be declaring them, thanks for all the help!

Hi..I have the same problem here!

I got grades ABBCD at AS level but I am re-taking a few modules since I was off an A by very few marks in a few modules. I am not sure whether I should declare them on my UCAS application.

If so, do you think it's necessary to even include UMS marks? I'm scared my UMS marks will emphasise the crap (C and D) results :frown:

Plus, do you think universities will make their offers taking into account that I am re-taking or will they just make their judgement looking at my current grades?

I will appreciate any help given!
Reply 34
Same problem! My school hasn't cashed in our results so does it mean we don't have to state them? :redface: I mean the ABBB is fine by me, but the D in Critical Thinking... I really do not want to be writing that on it O_O
Diogeues
I'm pretty sure it's compulsory, entering grades that have been certified.

This.
Plus, why would you not want to enter them in, they are good grades.
Good bloke
Er, no you can't. Certificated AS results have to be declared. And don't assume that because one lot of idiots got away with it the next lot will as well. Not telling the truth on a UCAS application can have particularly catastrophic results for an applicant to study law.

erm...well, I think they only did it coz teachers in my school told them it's fine
My teacher said you don't have to declare AS grades but I'm doing it anyway even though mine in the subjects I'm dropped aren't great and I'm worried about the B grade I got in English Lit even though it was 1 mark from an A :sigh: but yeah, I'd declare it anyway.
Casshern1456
Can i ask what does certifying mean, you see i don't know if my school cashed in my grade and i can't get in contact with my exam officer. Does certifying mean i'll get a certificate after the exam? i don't have a certificate, are my results not cashed in?

that's only one problem, but i did my A2 exams in another centre. Would the exam results from 2 centres be recognised as 1 full a-level. How do i go about putting that information on ucas.

Lastly due to my AS being not cashed in(at least i dont think it has, no certificate) and my other centre said they've cashed in my A2, what in the bloody hell would i recieve?
and say if i want to resit my AS would the uni be like he has put down the A2 grade but has AS as pending and think something has gone wrong.

Sorry i'm in abit of a sticky situation, my school didn't help me at all.

Certification crystallises the results as a qualification. You can tell if it has been certificated by the overall grade on the provisional results slip in addition to the module grades. Receiving a physical certificate is another matter entirely; many schools don't give them out until months later. Re-sits of modules are extremely common and nothing to worry about for anyone.
So unis can't see UMS unless mentioned in the reference?

Latest

Trending

Trending