Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student oyster vs 16-25 railcard

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm going to be studying in London, using the tube regularly, and I'm not sure whether it would be better to get a student oyster card or combine my current 16-25 railcard with a regular oyster card.

Any advice?

Thanks,
    Jorge
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends on whether you plan on buying a weekly/monthly/yearly ticket or using pay-as-you-go.

If the former, use the student oyster as you get a decent reduction on the price of season tickets. If the latter, combine the railcard with a regular oyster card as there's a lower daily cap on fares than without the railcard.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not really a question as you can use your 16-25 railcard on your student Oyster anyway... It just depends as above whether you want to get a weekly/monthly pass...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I didn´t realise that once you had the student Oyster card, you could then put the railcard on it.
    Cheers
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    It's not really a question as you can use your 16-25 railcard on your student Oyster anyway... It just depends as above whether you want to get a weekly/monthly pass...
    Really?!

I have a student oyster that I load with a travel card each week (usually bus and tube) so with the student oyster it's something like £17 a week. You're telling me I can put my 16-25 railcard on the student oyster as well and get a further 1/3 discount?!

Would I have to be travelling on London overground services or does it apply to tube journeys?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 21, 2011
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.