Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

St. Andrews Medicine Applicants 2011 :D

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caponester)
    Only 20% of the entire application!? Jesus christ.

Yeah, I applied this cycle and stupidly put down Glasgow. Missed the UKCAT cutoff though so will need to improve my score (650 this year, aiming for something around the 700 mark for next year)

I'm actually fairly high up the Aberdeen waiting list so might end up not having to reapply but I'm doing a little bit of initial investigation while I have a bit of time off!

Thanks for the reply
    Yes, only 20%. 50% - academic results (if you are a scottish applicant or a reapplicant this works in your favor as you get a good score... while those with predicted grades have their academic records is worth a smaller percentage).

Here is what their website says:
    Each of the four areas of assessment is given a different weighting;
    Academic performance: 50%
    UKCAT: 15%
    Personal statement and reference: 15%
    Interview: 20%

And ...

Allocation to Partner Medical Schools

1. Campus Codes

When you apply to St Andrews you must indicate whether you would like to complete Phase 2 (years 4-6) of your training at either Manchester or in Scotland. This must be done by choosing the appropriate campus code. (Please read carefully the UCAS admissions procedure when completing your UCAS form.)

If you are an International student you should select Manchester as that is where the majority of places will be available for ‘overseas’ applicants.

If you have no preference for where Phase 2 is undertaken, please enter 'E' under 'Campus Code' in the 'choices' section of the application or ‘S’ if your prefer Scotland and ‘M’ if you prefer Manchester. Your UCAS application should include only one application to the A100 course at St Andrews e.g. you cannot select Code M on one application and Code S on another.

Every effort will be made to accommodate your preference and at the time of offer we will indicate the campus to which you have been allocated.

Oooh you had such a bad luck on Glasgow! I think this year the cutoff was 652.5 or something like that. Glasgow is a bit fussy about everything (it's the only university that asked me to have extra A level examinations besides the Romanian exams... and their course is not even that great... ). I think most people who applied to St. Andrews with a UKCAT score of 650 got in, provided they did good on their interview (most of those who got rejected had schores of 640 or less)

Good luck with Aberdeen though!!

Wow... long post
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teafil)
    I think most people who applied to St. Andrews with a UKCAT score of 650 got in, provided they did good on their interview (most of those who got rejected had schores of 640 or less)
    I would have applied in this cycle but they didn't allow deferred entry candidates! Anyway, plenty of time to mull things over.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caponester)
    Out of curiosity did they ask you during your interview why you had no preference? What did you eventually end up with?

I'm considering applying here this coming cycle and reckon I'd take the 'E' route too.
    No. And I ended up being allocated to Manchester.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lola1993)
    I emailed them for feedback and got a letter like yours. They said my global score was 61.62 and 79.58 was needed for an offer. It does seem as if those who are interviewed later are much less likely to get an offer - haven't heard of anyone interviewed on the 9th of March getting an offer...
    I've emailed them again asking the average success rate for November and March interviews just to see if there is a lot of difference - it would certainly put an end to the rumours! I shouldn't be moaning because I have a medicine offer but I'd like to know nevertheless!

Well done on all those with offers St. Andrews is a lovely university after all!!
    Hey, I had an interview on 9th March and got unconditional.. Sorry! Oh and my UKCAT was crap, 635 I think..
    Px
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polldoll)
    Hey, I had an interview on 9th March and got unconditional.. Sorry! Oh and my UKCAT was crap, 635 I think..
    Px
    did you firm st andrews?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, was my only offer!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, was my only offer!
    congrats! did you join the facebook group?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yup, Im there!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yup, Im there!
    hmm.. then i might know u ) heh
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You prob will.. are you there just now? In chat??
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You prob will.. are you there just now? In chat??
    i'm not active in the chat... actually i've only notice there's a chat just now
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teafil)
    i'm not active in the chat... actually i've only notice there's a chat just now
    whats the link to the facebook group please?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tikey)
    whats the link to the facebook group please?
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk...228029352&ap=1
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon-leeds)
    I'm hoping for David Russell or FPA. Apart from that just not Andrew Melville!
    I'm a third year Medic next year and I'm Senior Student of Andrew Melville Hall. It's 8 minutes away from the Medical School and it's fantastic! Please don't be put off by the building's exterior. It's a wonderful place to live. Either way, congratulations on your offer to study Medicine. St Andrews gives you a fantastically solid scienctific basis for your medical career
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if anyone will see this post on an older thread, but I'm just wondering did anyone get in with just predicted grades?? I've applied there but now worrying there's no chance of getting in as I haven't got achieved grades D:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by b4nanapancakes)
    Not sure if anyone will see this post on an older thread, but I'm just wondering did anyone get in with just predicted grades?? I've applied there but now worrying there's no chance of getting in as I haven't got achieved grades D:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Yes, you need slightly better predictions but people do get in every year with predictions
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orinincandenza)
    Yes, you need slightly better predictions but people do get in every year with predictions
    You say slightly better predictions? How much is slightly? Compared to an applicant with AAA achieved what would be comparable do you think? A*AA, A*A*A?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WenlockRhys)

You say slightly better predictions? How much is slightly? Compared to an applicant with AAA achieved what would be comparable do you think? A*AA, A*A*A?
    Nobody knows really, but you do better with achieved grades and this year they said that to be competitive you should have at least A*AA predicted. All i can tell you...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most of the people here had predicted grades so I wouldn't worry about it..

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: November 5, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.