Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

SMed's Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Announcements Posted on
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Might as well start a log here since I've come back from my long break. Haven't trained in about 3 months, so starting back light. I'm going to quickly run through some linear progression to get me back to where I was, then I'll probably jump on Texas Method.

Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 86kg

Lifts:

Squat - 150kg
    Bench - 90kg
    OHP - 50kg
    Power Clean & Jerk - 85 or 90kg (can't remember)
    Deadlift - 170kg

Oooh KAY!

Right, so I had my first mini-session in my new home gym.

Bench:

55kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    55kg x 5

Deadlift:

100kg x 5

Very easy, little bit of DOMs, but not too bad.

Then, I was back in my uni gym so had a bigger session. Not much structure here, just wanted to have some fun (haven't trained properly since June) and test the waters a bit. Have to say, I was pleasantly surprised.

Squat:

20kg x 10
    20kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    100kg x 5
    110kg x 1
    120kg x 1
    125kg x 1

OHP:

20kg x 10
    20kg x 5
    30kg x 5
    40kg x 3
    45kg x 2
    50kg x 1 (PR tie)
    52.5kg x 1 PR*

Chinups:

BW x 5
    BW+5kg x 3
    BW+10kg x 2
    BW+15kg x 1
    BW+20kg x 2 (PR tie)
    BW+10kg x 3
    BW+10kg x 3
    BW x 5
    BW x 5

Kroc Rows:

40kg x 15

Curls:

16kg x 7
    16kg x 6

Bodyweight = 88kg

Apart from the OHPs and chins, I left a lot in the tank for everything. I definitely had more in the squat, easily 130kg. I could've done a set of 5 at 120kg without too much trouble. I'd never done Kroc rows so I just wanted to try them. The uni gym only goes up to 40kg so I couldn't do more. Could've done another 10+ reps at 40kg easily, plenty of ROM. Grip sucked though, but not bad.

I can't believe my OHP seems completely un-phased. I must have modified my form somewhat which allowed me to press well considering. I've never strict pressed 52.5kg in my life, so to it after 3 months of not touching a bar really surprised me. The only thing I can think of is that doing loads of chins might have somehow benefited me more than I realise. And maybe I tweaked my form slightly. I always knew my form was ****, because my OHP was way off my bench. Bench was 90kg and OHP was 50kg.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Squat:

20kg x 5
    20kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    100kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    100kg x 5

Bench:

20kg x 8
    20kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 3
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 11

Deadlift:

60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 3
    110kg x 5
    120kg x 3
    130kg x 3

Bodyweight = 87kg

Great session today, feeling like I haven't lost any strength at all. Squats were fast sets, 1 minute rests.

Bench was fast and easy, felt like going to failure on the last set. Was almost to failure, but I probably had another 1-2 left.

Deadlift was piss easy. I wanted to do 110kg as my work set, but it felt like a warm up. So I just wanted to test things a bit and went up to 130kg doing triples, and honestly, it still felt like a warm up. Pretty much felt like speed pulls. My grip has improved from the chins, because I double-overhanded these easily, and that used to be a problem.

Things are going well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nice, will keep tabs on this.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sub'd.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    QUuestion from a beginner: I am not really fit I just started getting into weight lifting as well as losing weight at the same time.I can only squat 15 KG 10 reps 3 cycles and I can't seem to do a full squat either.Do you think It would be better for me to focus on cardio and just do machines before the transition to free weights?
    Thanks .

Keeping watch of your progress btw.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Get those squats and deadlifts back up :yy:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theconomist)
    QUuestion from a beginner: I am not really fit I just started getting into weight lifting as well as losing weight at the same time.I can only squat 15 KG 10 reps 3 cycles and I can't seem to do a full squat either.Do you think It would be better for me to focus on cardio and just do machines before the transition to free weights?
    Thanks .

No, you need to learn how to do a bodyweight squat properly before you do weighted ones. Then you need to add weight when the proper mobility and strength are there. Machines don't generally build that mobility. I doubt you have a strength deficit stopping you from squatting a 20kg bar. That's pretty much reserved for children, the very old and a few other exceptional cases.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Those are some seriously good chin ups! I'm atrocious at them. I only weigh about 72kg and I struggle to get a single set of 8.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks .

If you can't get a full squat, that's a flexibility issue and not a strength issue (unless you're the size of a 6 year old). Work on your hamstring flexibility and getting into a squat position either unweighted or with just the bar, focusing on getting depth without rounding your back.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ill be reading
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Will be reading. You looking to head back to 200lbs and then maintain weight around there?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Forgot to add previous PRs in first post.
    • 77 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks .

Is it a balance thing? First few times I ever tried to squat [was only with low weight] I fell forward and nearly smashed my head on the wall. I put it down to really poor form and did bodyweight squats for a week or so [like 100 reps a day :L] and looked at some form videos. Now I rarely lose balance [again only with a light weight though]. Just a thought, could be wrong.

I shouldn't really be giving advice but there we go :eek3:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    If you can't get a full squat, that's a flexibility issue and not a strength issue (unless you're the size of a 6 year old). Work on your hamstring flexibility and getting into a squat position either unweighted or with just the bar, focusing on getting depth without rounding your back.
    Thanks.
    How do you think I should work on my flexibility?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Nice. Will be watching.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.
    How do you think I should work on my flexibility?
    The 3rd world squat is a good way.
    http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1856085&cr
    Basically the bottom of a squat position.

The Squat RX series isn't too bad either. Look up the goblet squat as well.
    This is a reasonably long video but try and persevere
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...1301858251744#
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're a similar height to me, similar lifts(for deadlift and ohp, way ahead for bench and squat though, and PC I think), so will be watching, specially now I can go to the gym!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RawJoh1)
    Will be reading. You looking to head back to 200lbs and then maintain weight around there?
    Eventually, but I need to do it much more carefully this time. For now, I want to get back to, or better, my previous lifts but at a my current bodyweight. I know a lot more about nutrition now then I did last year so hopefully I can do it better this time. My initial goal is to get to over 200lbs and under 15% bf.

I also made a goal of getting a 180kg squat by the end of this year, but with that 3 month hiatus, that's a lot of work to make up for. Maybe by Feb/March.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I also made a goal of getting a 180kg squat by the end of this year, but with that 3 month hiatus, that's a lot of work to make up for. Maybe by Feb/March.
    Race to a 180 squat? All our PBs are pretty similar (you've got 5kg on my squat and deadlift, same bench, I've not got a 1RM on the OHP but I've done 52.5 x5 so maybe got 5kg on you there).

Your chins are just so much better than mine though - I've done something like +15 x5 but that's at 70-72kg bodyweight.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Race to a 180 squat? All our PBs are pretty similar (you've got 5kg on my squat and deadlift, same bench, I've not got a 1RM on the OHP but I've done 52.5 x5 so maybe got 5kg on you there).

Your chins are just so much better than mine though - I've done something like +15 x5 but that's at 70-72kg bodyweight.
    That'd be a pretty hollow victory on my part, seeing as I'd have 15-20kg bodyweight on you. :p: But ok.

I am SICK AS **** today. :puke:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 17, 2014
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.