The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Don't use Amber taxis!

Hi guys,
Thought I'd give a bit of a heads up about Amber taxis (the one recommended by the Met uni). I called them last night at about 11pm and booked a taxi for 1am. At about 1.15 I called to see where they were, I got told 5-10 mins it will be there. 1.30 no show, called again, "Oh I'll book it again madam". 1.45 I call again, I get told it's on it's way. 2am (an hour later, waiting in the freezing cold!) I gave up and phoned another company, thinking "oh god, I won't be able to get a taxi at 2am on a Saturday night/Sunday morning". Wrong - Blue Line taxis came through, were there within 5 minutes, and the taxi driver even phoned me personally beforehand to say that he's got someone in the cab with him at the moment, and he's gonna pick us up and drop us off on the way so it would be quicker (we were going the same place as the person already in the cab).

Amber never showed up. *sighs*. I've also heard bad things about them from other people.

If anyone has any Leeds taxi experiences please do post! I'm well peed off about Amber, if there's enough of us that have been arsed around by them, maybe we can petition the SU to get rid of their contract.

Scroll to see replies

I agree I never use them and only use new armley cars. Look in the phone book as I am sure posting thier number would come under advertising.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
It's totally down to personal experiences, i think u must have just been unlucky. Amber taxi's have been amazing with us so far, maybe a few minutes late on occasions - but u expect that from every taxi firm.
Reply 3
Amber taxis have been ok for us, but DONT USE EXPRESS.

I got charged £6, for a mile journey, he locked the doors and demanded the money half way through the journey on one of the dodgyest roads ive been, just me and my friend there. Anyway, we only went to kirkstall brewery, wernt in the mood after that though and the way he acted, so thought i would go call in his taxi rank and mention to the manager that we might have been overcharged - Big mistake.

I got hit in the face by the driver (it was a 7seater toyota picnic by the way)
Then another guy was trying to shut me in the office while another one attempted to hit me with a broom, i legged it for the door that the smaller guy was going to shut, and got hit a few times on the ancles by the guy with the broom.

When outside i ran, 2 of them followed me until i shouted that my friend was nearby taking photos of them, and that i was calling the police, but one of the guys, about 20, was walking on the other side of the road though i didnt see him. When i was on the phone about 200 feet from my halls telling the operator on 999, he ran over the road and tried to steal my phone shouting alsorts of racist stuff. I ran into the car park of my halls.

By the way, i was staying in Cardigan Lane in the halls. Not any more though stuff that, ive moved out and writting a letter to Unipol right now.
Reply 4
Forgot to mention, police came - about 30 minuets later - whats the point! i wanted them to come urgently i didnt feel safe with a large group of racist asians wanting to get to me, and they did nothing. He said "well i could go and have a word, but it would be no use they wouldnt do anything."

Ive moved all my things from them halls now.
Reply 5
JimmehF, you absolutely MUST BE JOKING. Seriously, asian men running around with brooms?
Reply 6
JonnyB
JimmehF, you absolutely MUST BE JOKING. Seriously, asian men running around with brooms?

I can see them with brooms...BUT RUNNING?! :eek:
Reply 7
Believe me! look heres the phone call to police!! the time is right but the date isnt set lol!!
http://photobucket.com/albums/a309/FeEBLeUK/?action=view&current=CIMG3894.jpg
Reply 8
haha this all sounds a bit hollyoaksish
Reply 9
Who needs taxi's anyway?! Get the bus with all the nutters and weirdos!
Reply 10
RoryOi
haha this all sounds a bit hollyoaksish

LOL!!!
Reply 11
which school did you go to in keighley?
Reply 12
who gives the free yellow pens outside of leeds uni?
Reply 13
Went to keighley college 2 years a levels and 2 years graphic design, hartington middle and oakbank lol!
Reply 14
free yellow pens? LOL
Reply 15
haha great, im a fellow ex oakbanker but i went to Bronte, none of that hartington rubbish!
Reply 16
Nice one! how old are you now then? What year was you in year 11??? at least our school didnt get closed down before it fell down!! LOL
Reply 17
yellow pens from city cabs! quite good pens to!
Reply 18
ahahahha that was a bit random from you!
Reply 19
The Ninja
Who needs taxi's anyway?! Get the bus with all the nutters and weirdos!

Name a bus that'll get me back to Meanwood Road at 2am on a Saturday night/Sunday morning and I'll happily take it :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest