The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I don't mind people having an opinion on drugs or the taking of drugs.

What I don't like however, is people making a general opinion of the people who do or have taken drugs.
EsStupido
Any time you read about some sportsman/woman or actor/actress doing a drug such as cocaine it is written in such a way that makes it sound as if it's the worst thing a human being could possibly do. That person is vilified and made out to be evil incarnate. This then allows all kinds of morons to come out of the woodwork expressing their views etc, yet you can almost always guarantee they've never even seen the drug in person, let alone tried it.

I can pretty much guarantee that anyone who has smoked weed or knows people who smoke it would freely admit that the drug causes almost zero harm. Compare it to alchohol....

The ignorance and stupidity that surrounds drugs is akin to the ignorance shown towards religion in this country. Yet we accept it. Why?

I'd be interested to see how many of you have/haven't taken drugs and what your opinions are on the matter.

The reason people who have never tried drugs and judge them and their users is the same reason people watch Fox News or CNN and believe them, the same reason people read the Bible or the Torah and think it's real, the same reason people watch movies like 300 and they think they're history experts, the same reason people drink wine, go to church and right after criticising drug usage with their stupid church friends they get in their cars and crash and then blame it on the wine.

Most people are just ignorant and too proud to admit it; metal welders, housewives, office temps, store clerks, they all have their opinions that are based on whatever they heard on some news bull$#!t report or what their pastor told them and as long as it agrees with their motives they accept it as truth, just so they can keep believing in their eternal bubble life fantasy. Despite their mediocre position in society, they think of themselves as experts, in science and politics and so on, just because they bought an ugly house somewhere in a suburb or held down crappy office job for longer than a year, they need to look at someone they consider lower in order to feel better about themselves; little do they know that they're just puppets controlled by opportunistic narcissists, the same opportunists who tell them that drugs are bad so they can sell the prescription pill or get their 15 minutes of fame on HLN.

Simply put mate: People are pathetic and stupid but they don't want to admit it, so they rather judge without having the ability to.
EsStupido
Any time you read about some sportsman/woman or actor/actress doing a drug such as cocaine it is written in such a way that makes it sound as if it's the worst thing a human being could possibly do. That person is vilified and made out to be evil incarnate. This then allows all kinds of morons to come out of the woodwork expressing their views etc, yet you can almost always guarantee they've never even seen the drug in person, let alone tried it.

I can pretty much guarantee that anyone who has smoked weed or knows people who smoke it would freely admit that the drug causes almost zero harm. Compare it to alchohol....

The ignorance and stupidity that surrounds drugs is akin to the ignorance shown towards religion in this country. Yet we accept it. Why?

I'd be interested to see how many of you have/haven't taken drugs and what your opinions are on the matter.

Have you ever raped a girl?

Do you have an opinion on rape?
Reply 23
David Nutt was sacked, the rest walked out in protest.
Reply 24
EsStupido
I've never met a Muslim person, but as they get loads of bad press am I allowed to be critical of them?

It's ignorance and stupidity whatever way you choose to look at it.

Basing your opinion on Muslim people because of the bad press they get is really not the same thing as basing your opinion on drugs because you have seen people you love get destroyed and killed by it. Basing your opinion on Muslim people because of the bad press they get would also be quite ignorant seeing as most well-educated people know that the majority of Muslims are not the people that the press make them out to be. On the other hand, most people know that hard drugs have mostly, or even wholly, negative effects on those who take it.

Also, I bet you have met a Muslim person at some point in your life but that's not the point.
Reply 25
LivingMemory
Have you ever raped a girl?

Do you have an opinion on rape?

As far as I can see the issue of rape isn't complicated, whereas the issue of drugs and their effects are.

Comparing the two is therefore pointless.
Theconomist
Weed,cocaine,LSD,heroine,crack,meth,speed all those are pussy drugs.Nothing beats Nutmeg yo!

No way scally! I tried nutmeg once and I spent that whole week with a stomach flu and a fever. :p:

No... really!
MagicNMedicine
Do you have an opinion on paedophilia?

OP just got sat.
Stefan1991
Why are they "losers"?

It's just my opinion. It takes a loser to stone out and get entertainment from it.

This doesn't mean that drugs should be illegal though.
Reply 29
ck88
Basing your opinion on Muslim people because of the bad press they get is really not the same thing as basing your opinion on drugs because you have seen people you love get destroyed and killed by it. Basing your opinion on Muslim people because of the bad press they get would also be quite ignorant seeing as most well-educated people know that the majority of Muslims are not the people that the press make them out to be. On the other hand, most people know that hard drugs have mostly, or even wholly, negative effects on those who take it.

Also, I bet you have met a Muslim person at some point in your life but that's not the point.

Er, the point was, drugs and Muslims get bad press, so surely if I can spill uninformed rubbish about drugs I can also do it about Muslims?

You then say the following:

Basing your opinion on Muslim people because of the bad press they get would also be quite ignorant seeing as most well-educated people know that the majority of Muslims are not the people that the press make them out to be

Surely using that context you can argue exactly the same for drugs. Anyone who is well-educated is well aware that cannabis should be legalised and is not as bad as the press makess it out to be?
I dont think many normal people give a **** about who takes drugs, they just don't want it around them.I lived in a flat with 3 people who were weed smokers, they would borrow money and forgot they took it, leave the house in a mess, make the house stink, say they were gonna do stuff and end up going off and smoking pot. Now I left I really couldn't give a damn what they do, they could inject it pure into their blood, I never give it another thought. Sure, some normal people smoke pot and don't make a joke of it, but I've met far more, from different walks of life, that just use it to mask their sorry existance. I couldnt care what anyone wants to do, as long as they do it a long way from me...
(edited 13 years ago)
EsStupido
As far as I can see the issue of rape isn't complicated, whereas the issue of drugs and their effects are.

Comparing the two is therefore pointless.

Pointless to you, but then you are clearly pro-drugs too :dontknow: Yes, rape is a little more clear-cut, but I needed a simplified example in order to give perspective. If I'd picked another controversial example as a comparison then it would've helped little.

To move on slightly, there are examples of the damage done by drugs (not to everyone, but to those who abuse them) and then the NHS has to mop up the mess. Drugs (recreational) don't serve any benefit, so why should the tax-payer pay to fix the mess that other people have got themselves into? True, yes that's only those who abuse, so why not make the drugs legal, but abusing them illegal? Well, how could you possibly regulate that?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 32
EsStupido
Er, the point was, drugs and Muslims get bad press, so surely if I can spill uninformed rubbish about drugs I can also do it about Muslims?

You then say the following:

Surely using that context you can argue exactly the same for drugs. Anyone who is well-educated is well aware that cannabis should be legalised and is not as bad as the press makess it out to be?

When I speak of drugs I don't mean cannabis at all. I assume you were talking about hard, class A drugs, which I believe if someone is taking to the point that they're addicted, is every bit as bad as the press makes it out to be (the negative effects of the drugs, not the people who take them).
Reply 33
LivingMemory
Pointless to you, but then you are clearly pro-drugs too :dontknow: Yes, rape is a little more clear-cut, but I needed a simplified example in order to give perspective. If I'd picked another controversial example as a comparison then it would've helped little.

To move on slightly, there are examples of the damage done by drugs (not to everyone, but to those who abuse them) and then the NHS has to mop up the mess. Drugs (recreational) don't serve any benefit, so why should the tax-payer pay to fix the mess that other people have got themselves into? True, yes that's only those who abuse, so why not make the drugs legal, but abusing them illegal? Well, how could you possibly regulate that?

Smoking and drinking costs far, far more to the NHS. Why are they legal?
EsStupido

Honest queston EsStupido, how many first timers do you know that have been ****** up from their first joint? like had a bad trip or something?

I'm not going to say anything against it, as it will obviously be FAR lower than those who get ****** on alcohol on their first us, I'm just curious, and like I said, honestly... any other pot smokers can answer this too
Reply 35
masterglen3
Honest queston EsStupido, how many first timers do you know that have been ****** up from their first joint? like had a bad trip or something?

I'm not going to say anything against it, as it will obviously be FAR lower than those who get ****** on alcohol on their first us, I'm just curious, and like I said, honestly... any other pot smokers can answer this too

Most people will 'green out' or whatever, but you don't tend to get a 'bad trip' - or at least I've never met anyone who can say they have. A 'bad trip' would be more commonly associated with taking pills, MDMA, ketamine...lots of things like that.
Adressing the OP, this thread is a nonsense.

The very weak underlying point in this argument is that only experiencing something should enable you to have an opinion on the matter.

Do you think it should be illegal for people to murder?

How can you have a view without experiencing the joy of the kill?!

The point about whether drugs harm others is a completley different matter from anything you've said here.
Reply 37
TheRevolution
Adressing the OP, this thread is a nonsense.

The very weak underlying point in this argument is that only experiencing something should enable you to have an opinion on the matter.

Do you think it should be illegal for people to murder?

How can you have a view without experiencing the joy of the kill?!

The point about whether drugs harm others is a completley different matter from anything you've said here.

Its interesting that every single comparison that's been made by the various posters in this thread has been complete and utter rubbish.
EsStupido
Most people will 'green out' or whatever, but you don't tend to get a 'bad trip' - or at least I've never met anyone who can say they have. A 'bad trip' would be more commonly associated with taking pills, MDMA, ketamine...lots of things like that.

Yeah for sure, thanks for the response. I do think the **** needs to just be legalized already, I'm against drugs, I don't like the idea that people should need to intoxicate themselves, but I'm also pro-freedom, and you just have to walk through a city centre, any one, and see hundreds of young people, pumped up, aggressive, violent, doing crazy ****, and just saying, oh no big deal, i was drunk... If I was a pot smoker, I would be rather outraged at the hypocrisy of the government. Why not just tax it, and regulate it. How do you suggest stopping people driving when intoxicated though? theres no breathalizer for weed, perhaps handing in their drivers license at a clinic or something. It's crazy, that people who want to smoke a safer drug, are being sent to often dodgy dealers, who then push other more dangerous stuff onto them, cocaine, pills etc...
Reply 39
masterglen3
Yeah for sure, thanks for the response. I do think the **** needs to just be legalized already, I'm against drugs, I don't like the idea that people should need to intoxicate themselves, but I'm also pro-freedom, and you just have to walk through a city centre, any one, and see hundreds of young people, pumped up, aggressive, violent, doing crazy ****, and just saying, oh no big deal, i was drunk... If I was a pot smoker, I would be rather outraged at the hypocrisy of the government. Why not just tax it, and regulate it. How do you suggest stopping people driving when intoxicated though? theres no breathalizer for weed, perhaps handing in their drivers license at a clinic or something. It's crazy, that people who want to smoke a safer drug, are being sent to often dodgy dealers, who then push other more dangerous stuff onto them, cocaine, pills etc...

Tests already exist: http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/is-there-a-police-test-for-drug-driving.aspx

The reality is the Government are extremely hypocritical over the issue and I don't understand why...

Latest

Trending

Trending