The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
innerhollow
TSR user making condescending and snobbish comments about other TSR users. Typical TSR.

TSR user making condescending and snobbish comments about other TSR users. Typical TSR.
EsStupido
Any time you read about some sportsman/woman or actor/actress doing a drug such as cocaine it is written in such a way that makes it sound as if it's the worst thing a human being could possibly do. That person is vilified and made out to be evil incarnate. This then allows all kinds of morons to come out of the woodwork expressing their views etc, yet you can almost always guarantee they've never even seen the drug in person, let alone tried it.

I can pretty much guarantee that anyone who has smoked weed or knows people who smoke it would freely admit that the drug causes almost zero harm. Compare it to alchohol....

The ignorance and stupidity that surrounds drugs is akin to the ignorance shown towards religion in this country. Yet we accept it. Why?

I'd be interested to see how many of you have/haven't taken drugs and what your opinions are on the matter.

People pay taxes that goes towards treating addicts?

MagicNMedicine
Do you have an opinion on paedophilia?

This too.
double post and I don't even know why.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 83
You are allowed an opinion...

I don't like killing people... I've never done it. Ok that is an extreme example, and I'm not comparing drugs to killing people, but the principle applies.

I'm presuming you meant illegal drugs OP. But let me give my example with smoking anyway.

I have never tried smoking, not even a drag, but I don't like it. The reason I don't like it is because of the bad medical effects it can have, un-needed cost etc etc. The reason I haven't tried it is because it seems pointless to me... if I tried it and didn't like it then it wasn't fun so pointless. If I tried it and DID like it, then I still wouldn't want to start smoking due to the above reasons, so it would just be a 'tease' kind of thing.

Of course a lot of people are hypocritical in that they like alcohol but not illegal drugs in a lot of cases. I'll admit I'm one of them. But for me personally, the legality is actually a decent reason to not do something (people always seem to neglect this when talking about drugs) so for that reason alone I wouldn't do them. But on top of that they do have bad effects as well. Ok I already drink, but that isn't a good enough reason to say 'I may as well take many other harmful substances as well' is it.

EDIT: I do kind of agree with you about the media being mean though. I'd probably say MOST people have tried an illegal drug at some point in their life, yet they still judge others harshly for it. But hey, that's the british media. And again, the law is a big factor.
(edited 13 years ago)
BumperBo
No, society shouldn't impose bans on anything that is harmless to others.
If the person accepts the risks/sacrifices, that's their own business. We don't need a nanny state telling us what we can and can't do when it affects nobody else.

If people commit crimes to fund their addiction, they should be punished for that crime alone, since that is all they've done that is harmful.
If they forsake their child's best interests in pursuit of a drug, the child should be taken away and cared for by someone responsible. I realize developing countries likely can't do that as easily as we can, but removing people's freedoms because their government is poor just sounds inhumane to me.

But it is a CAUSE of crime.If someone is desperate for money and kills someone for Coke money then yes that person can be put in jail BUT the person he has already killed is dead.
Again im for legalizing soft drugs that are not addictive like lets say marjuana or LSD but cocaine and heroin force people to not only harm themselves (if this was the case then it should be legalized) but harm others such as family and outsiders. He is thus a threat to the established society. If he does not get coke he will do anything to get it . Thus if coke remains illegal and more rehabilitation centres are opened then we could get rid of this problem.

I dont mind recreational use but a person who is addicted (most statistics show that most cocaine users around the world are from poor backgrounds) and does not have the resources to buy drugs is a threat to society and his family.
Reply 85
innerhollow
ANY of the ones on politics or ethics or anything like that. The purpose they serve is they expand our knowledge of the world. Your discussion was no more than the hurt rantings of someone who was shocked to find that there are people who don't think doing drink/drugs makes you awesome.

We're discussing laws and whether or not they should be in place to protect us from others or to improve society as a whole at the cost of freedoms. Sounds like a mix of politics and ethics to me.

And I can criticise you for it if I like. Goes both ways you know.

Sure you can, but nobody is gonna like you for it.
It's just a tip, so in the future you won't look quite the jackass :top:
MagicNMedicine

This.
Reply 87
MagicNMedicine

Lol. OP gets owned in the first reply. Classic.
Reply 88
EsStupido
To who? The user? I would be happy to bet that treating alcohol related issues costs this country far more money.

I've no issue with heroin being demonised. It's an evil drug, but Coke is not nearly as bad as people make out.

Well if it's an issue of money we are talking about, the income generated from tax on cigarettes and alcohol more than makes up for the costs, unlike drugs. One can even argue that this money can then be redirected to fund the services which save lives in the NHS.

One question OP, have you tried taking all of the drugs that have been mentioned? (including heroine)?
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't look too kindly on murder, but I've never murdered anyone, so am I not allowed an opinion about that either?
MagicNMedicine

I've tried it, it's overrated.
Reply 91
ExcessNeo
You don't have to try for example heroine to know it's a load of ****. You just have to hear how one of your friends who moved onto it from lighter drugs like weed then burgles his best friends house to fund his habit after throwing away a fantastic job.

But then I guess my opinion is invalid because I refuse to shoot up? :rolleyes:

Your opinion is invalid because it is retarded. Nearly every study on the gateway hypothesis has shown that in countries where lighter drugs were decriminalised, their use took over the use of hard drugs.

Many of the people who move on to harder drugs having started with marijuana live in poorer areas where the move up the drug hierachy is highly probable. And besides, many people on coke started drinking alcohol as teens, so by that logic, is Alcohol not also a gateway drug?

Besides, the whole theory is a bit flawed. My thinking of it is this. You grow up, being told that drugs are all bad and that they will kill you, no distinction between them is really made. I was told as a child that drugs create physical holes in people, as a result, I still cant really bring myself to try many drugs. Anyway, so cannabis is also included in this, and you are told about how dangerous cannabis is. That if you take cannabis, you are going to turn into a schizophrenic maniac before raping lots of goats and feasting on peoples corpses.

Fast forward a few years, and for whatever reason (curiosity, trying to fit in etc) you try marijuana. Now for those who dont throw up or panic at the effects, they have a mildly pleasant expirience. They are amazed that they havent turned mad or OD'd. They suddenly realise that all that they have been told about weed is ********. They then start to associate these same lies with harder drugs, and before you know it, they are movin up the scale.

So dont you see? Its people like yourself who create the gateway hypothesis (if it exists) with your ignorance fuelled demogogue speeches.

Finally, I ask you to give a real world example of the scenario that you presented?

DVnotDivvy
The reason people who have never tried drugs and judge them and their users is the same reason people watch Fox News or CNN and believe them, the same reason people read the Bible or the Torah and think it's real, the same reason people watch movies like 300 and they think they're history experts, the same reason people drink wine, go to church and right after criticising drug usage with their stupid church friends they get in their cars and crash and then blame it on the wine.

Most people are just ignorant and too proud to admit it; metal welders, housewives, office temps, store clerks, they all have their opinions that are based on whatever they heard on some news bull$#!t report or what their pastor told them and as long as it agrees with their motives they accept it as truth, just so they can keep believing in their eternal bubble life fantasy. Despite their mediocre position in society, they think of themselves as experts, in science and politics and so on, just because they bought an ugly house somewhere in a suburb or held down crappy office job for longer than a year, they need to look at someone they consider lower in order to feel better about themselves; little do they know that they're just puppets controlled by opportunistic narcissists, the same opportunists who tell them that drugs are bad so they can sell the prescription pill or get their 15 minutes of fame on HLN.

Simply put mate: People are pathetic and stupid but they don't want to admit it, so they rather judge without having the ability to.

Maybe a bit too severe but I tend to agree with this. And for your info, Alexander of Troy was an amazingly accurate portrayal of hellenistic civillization..........
Reply 92
EsStupido
I've no issue with heroin being demonised. It's an evil drug.

So, your problem isn't with people having opinions on drugs... it's with people having negative opinions on drugs.
Reply 93
innerhollow

Says the guy who thinks asking a 'why' question on a point of view is pointless because it's a point of view. :facepalm:
Maybe you should go gain an opinion on euthanasia :hmmm:
Reply 95
EsStupido
I've never met a Muslim person

:eek: Are you serious? Where have you been all your life?!?

As for drugs, don't want to try them and don't see the big fuss.
Drug use is disgusting. And yes, this means alcohol too.
How can people put this crap into their bodies? Why do they do it? Shouldn't we as humans do everything possible to keep our bodies healthy? Drug-taking is not natural, and I do not understand it.
Reply 97
I have never shoved a knife up my arse but ,in my opinion, it isn't the most clever thing you can do.
Reply 98
I've never taken them, but think I'm allowed an opinion.

When you've been sent out to someone in the middle of the night at a music festival who has taken every drug "availiable" and will die if you don't do something, or when you've been sent to someone who has been fitting for an hour because they've taken a combination of uppers and downers, think you earn the right to develop an opinion about drugs and the people who take them.
adam_zed
Finally, I ask you to give a real world example of the scenario that you presented?

My friend isn't a real world example of that scenario?

This is new to me.

Latest

Trending

Trending