Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Before buying PC please ask our advice first!

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The reason I have made this thread is that I have seen too many buying a PC then asking us what we think, only to be told that you have paid too much for it.

So the moral of the story is ask people on here first, we are can offer unbiased advice for free unlike the big computer stores

Call this a public service announcement.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you should sticky this?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I will do, PS if people don't want to make a new thread to ask what we think of certain deals you can use this thread.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good thinking Ian
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flukey)
    Good thinking Ian
    I just got sick of people paying £1000 for a gloried word processor so hopefully this thread will reduce the profits of gready vendors and help members get a better PC.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    I just got sick of people paying £1000 for a gloried word processor so hopefully this thread will reduce the profits of gready vendors and help members get a better PC.
    Macintosh computers :rolleyes: :p:

This thread, could also be used for advice on helping peeps build a computer?

so if anyone has any good "build your own pc" links then post them in here, and if it is alright by you Ian, you could edit your first post and put them in there.

Good idea?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flukey)
    Macintosh computers :rolleyes: :p:

This thread, could also be used for advice on helping peeps build a computer?

so if anyone has any good "build your own pc" links then post them in here, and if it is alright by you Ian, you could edit your first post and put them in there.

Good idea?
    http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    While I'm not an organisation, do feel free to message me about any PC-related queries.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking the same thing yesterday.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good idea AT.

Here's a very good link on how to assemble a PC from parts, and how to go about installing everything as well.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The thing is many people could make do with a computer from 1997, but you just couldn't get that anymore. you have to spend hundreds even if you just want to word process...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    The thing is many people could make do with a computer from 1997, but you just couldn't get that anymore. you have to spend hundreds even if you just want to word process...
    Thats what second hand or refurbished machines are for

Even then I reckon I could build and supply a 100% brand new PC including a monitor for £250.
    • 62 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)

Even then I reckon I could build and supply a 100% brand new PC including a monitor for £250.
    Building computers for WP and stuff is dead easy and its dead cheap too... £250 is a bit generous in fact! I could do it (at a push) for £150-200 I think... Inc. Monitor :cool:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)

Yeah but they're certainly not as readily available as new PCs. And most people don't realise that they could make do with an old, inexpensive machine.

Someone could make a lucrative business out of selling very low-end PCs. What do you need a 500GB HD for if you're just going to word process?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    Someone could make a lucrative business out of selling very low-end PCs.
    Un-technically knowledgeable people like big numbers, unfortunatly. With the lower end stuff you start getting cheap and poor quality components which as we all know is a slipperly slope to becoming the same as any other OEM.

Anyhoo, if i'm around i'll keep an eye on this thread too.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well 2,000,000,000 bytes would seem big to most people :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    £250 still gets you a pretty powerful system (64bit sempron, 512mb ram etc)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr4470)
    £250 still gets you a pretty powerful system (64bit sempron, 512mb ram etc)
    Semprons weren't 64 bit last time I checked?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moncal)
    Semprons weren't 64 bit last time I checked?
    I think some of the last of the line ones were 64 bit. Link.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SyncMaster_770)
    I think some of the last of the line ones were 64 bit. Link.
    Okay, So if a Sempron was an Athlon 64 with the 64-bit instructions disabled, then why is it still called a Sempron if they reactivate the instructions?
Updated: June 10, 2013
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.