The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Perhaps you should sticky this?
Reply 2
I will do, PS if people don't want to make a new thread to ask what we think of certain deals you can use this thread.
Reply 3
Good thinking Ian :smile:
Reply 4
Flukey
Good thinking Ian :smile:

I just got sick of people paying £1000 for a gloried word processor so hopefully this thread will reduce the profits of gready vendors and help members get a better PC.
Reply 5
AT82
I just got sick of people paying £1000 for a gloried word processor so hopefully this thread will reduce the profits of gready vendors and help members get a better PC.

Macintosh computers :rolleyes: :p:

This thread, could also be used for advice on helping peeps build a computer?

so if anyone has any good "build your own pc" links then post them in here, and if it is alright by you Ian, you could edit your first post and put them in there.

Good idea? :smile:
Reply 6
Flukey
Macintosh computers :rolleyes: :p:

This thread, could also be used for advice on helping peeps build a computer?

so if anyone has any good "build your own pc" links then post them in here, and if it is alright by you Ian, you could edit your first post and put them in there.

Good idea? :smile:

http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/
Reply 7
While I'm not an organisation, do feel free to message me about any PC-related queries. :smile:
Reply 8
I was thinking the same thing yesterday.
Reply 9
Good idea AT.

Here's a very good link on how to assemble a PC from parts, and how to go about installing everything as well.
The thing is many people could make do with a computer from 1997, but you just couldn't get that anymore. you have to spend hundreds even if you just want to word process...
Reply 11
Onearmedbandit
The thing is many people could make do with a computer from 1997, but you just couldn't get that anymore. you have to spend hundreds even if you just want to word process...

Thats what second hand or refurbished machines are for :smile:

Even then I reckon I could build and supply a 100% brand new PC including a monitor for £250.
Reply 12
AT82

Even then I reckon I could build and supply a 100% brand new PC including a monitor for £250.

Building computers for WP and stuff is dead easy and its dead cheap too... £250 is a bit generous in fact! I could do it (at a push) for £150-200 I think... Inc. Monitor :cool:
AT82

Yeah but they're certainly not as readily available as new PCs. And most people don't realise that they could make do with an old, inexpensive machine.

Someone could make a lucrative business out of selling very low-end PCs. What do you need a 500GB HD for if you're just going to word process?
Onearmedbandit

Someone could make a lucrative business out of selling very low-end PCs.

Un-technically knowledgeable people like big numbers, unfortunatly. With the lower end stuff you start getting cheap and poor quality components which as we all know is a slipperly slope to becoming the same as any other OEM.

Anyhoo, if i'm around i'll keep an eye on this thread too.
Well 2,000,000,000 bytes would seem big to most people :p:
Reply 16
£250 still gets you a pretty powerful system (64bit sempron, 512mb ram etc)
Reply 17
sr4470
£250 still gets you a pretty powerful system (64bit sempron, 512mb ram etc)

Semprons weren't 64 bit last time I checked?
Reply 18
Moncal
Semprons weren't 64 bit last time I checked?

I think some of the last of the line ones were 64 bit. Link.
Reply 19
SyncMaster_770
I think some of the last of the line ones were 64 bit. Link.

Okay, So if a Sempron was an Athlon 64 with the 64-bit instructions disabled, then why is it still called a Sempron if they reactivate the instructions?