SONY 16x Dual Layer DVD-Re-Writable +R/-R/RW
512MB nVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX- Dual DVI,HDTV & TV-Out + DVI - PCI-Express
19" Viewsonic VA1912W Digital & Multi Media Widescreen TFT Display
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Sound Card
Creative Labs T6060 - 5.1 Surround with Subwoofer
Logitech Cordless Keyboard & Cordless Optical Mouse
ASUS WL 138G 802.11G/B Wi-Fi PCI Card

£1598

Does anyone know what they mean by digital display even though DVI monitors are labelled separately as needing a DVI connector.

How much would I save building it myself?

Also does anyone know what happened do high end Intel desktops on MESH?

Finally, can anyone get this system or similar cheaper?

Thx
Reply 181
Why Windows XP and Media Centre Edition?
Reply 182
ghost101
Mesh Matrix^2 Eclipse GT (06)

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 4600+ with HT Tech
Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional Edition
ASUS A8N-SLI PCI-Express Mainboard - ATX
2048MB DDR400 Memory - PC3200 (2x1024)
300GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer
16x DVD-ROM Drive (40x CD-ROM)
SONY 16x Dual Layer DVD-Re-Writable +R/-R/RW
512MB nVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX- Dual DVI,HDTV & TV-Out + DVI - PCI-Express
19" Viewsonic VA1912W Digital & Multi Media Widescreen TFT Display
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Sound Card
Creative Labs T6060 - 5.1 Surround with Subwoofer
Logitech Cordless Keyboard & Cordless Optical Mouse
ASUS WL 138G 802.11G/B Wi-Fi PCI Card

£1598

I wonder how long it will take for it blow up...not to mention the short warranty.

ghost101
Does anyone know what they mean by digital display even though DVI monitors are labelled separately as needing a DVI connector.

DVI = digital visual interface. The monitor is digital only, thats what they mean, so you cant use a card that only has VGA (standard blue 15pin jobby). Just in case some "noob" decides to try using one with such a card.

ghost101
Also does anyone know what happened do high end Intel desktops on MESH?

Probably run too hot and use too much power for MESH's cases\PSUs to handle.:rolleyes:

ghost101
Finally, can anyone get this system or similar cheaper?

Not cheaper, but using a better case and power supply, and with all parts having at least 3 years warranty, from Dabs. What do you plan to use this for? I get the feeling this is way overkill, and not tailored to your individual needs...
sr4470
What do you plan to use this for? I get the feeling this is way overkill, and not tailored to your individual needs...

Serious gaming mostly, and also my day to day needs.

What do you mean blow up? Are mesh pcs notorious for over heating?

melchett
Why Windows XP and Media Centre Edition?

sorry just pro edition.
Reply 184
ghost101
Serious gaming mostly, and also my day to day needs.

What do you mean blow up? Are mesh pcs notorious for over heating?

I dont think "day-to-day" requires a £390 dualcore processor...

Most OEM PCs have pathetic power supplies that wont hold up long under load. This is particularly critical given this is a dualcore system with a 512mb 7900GTX in it.

Edit: Do you really need the wireless gear? Also, wireless mice tend to lag in games... I noticed you customised their base system - they charged you £400 extra for a slightly faster cpu, 1gb ram and 7900GT->GTX :/
sr4470
I dont think "day-to-day" requires a £390 dualcore processor...

Most OEM PCs have pathetic power supplies that wont hold up long under load. This is particularly critical given this is a dualcore system with a 512mb 7900GTX in it.

So what would be a decent psu, preferably one from ebuyer. I would have thought a 550W PSU would be enough.

Ill take your advice on wireless mice and keyboard.
Basically, my parents said i can get a new pc for doing well in exams etc. and im trying to see how much they are willing to spend.

I was thinking of building a custom pc with my cousin eho has built a few systems already. Not only will this be cheaper, id learn how to build one myself. So this is the most likely option.

But you get no warranty.
Reply 187
ghost101
So what would be a decent psu, preferably one from ebuyer. I would have thought a 550W PSU would be enough.

Wattage alone isnt enough to judge it - brand, the amperage output, peak power output and sustained output are just some of the factors that need to be considered. I'd stick with a 450W+ Enermax\Seasonic unit.

ghost101
Ill take your advice on wireless mice and keyboard.

Logitech are good.

ghost101
Basically, my parents said i can get a new pc for doing well in exams etc. and im trying to see how much they are willing to spend.

I was thinking of building a custom pc with my cousin who has built a few systems already. Not only will this be cheaper, id learn how to build one myself. So this is the most likely option.

Provided your cousin knows what he\she is doing it is a far more sensible option.

ghost101
But you get no warranty.

Not from your cousin, but from the manufacturers of the parts - say the memory fails, you just RMA it to Crucial or whoever and get a replacement within a few days (most memory has lifetime warranty nowadays).
any alternatives to ebuyer and overclockers uk? i can find cheaper sites for memory and graphics cards
gotta watch lost now, thx for your help anyway.
Reply 190
ghost101
any alternatives to ebuyer? i can find cheaper sites for memory and graphics cards

I've used Dabs for 7 years without problems, however they tend to run out of stock on the popular items. Theres also OcUK, Aria, Scan, Komplett and Tekheads.
Go a Samsung V20 looking for an upgrade any advice, only got £400 spare
Can I ask your opinion on this laptop please?

ADVENT 7102 AMD SEMPRON PROCESSOR 3000+

# AMD Sempron 3000+ Processor
# 1600MHz System Bus
# 128KB cache
# 1 GB RAM
# 40 GB Hard Drive
# DVD ReWriter Drive
# 15.4" Widescreen Display
# Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
# 128MB ATi X200 integrated graphics
# includes 1 year warranty

£499.99 inc VAT

The only problem with it is I need XP Pro (Coldfusion Server doesn't run on XP Home), but otherwise the spec looks good and fits my budget of £500.

Whaddyareckon?
Reply 193
What do you plan on using it for? Hard drive is lacking, and HP (Advent is a brand of HP) arent known for quality laptops...
sr4470
What do you plan on using it for? Hard drive is lacking, and HP (Advent is a brand of HP) arent known for quality laptops...

The most taxing thing it'll have to do is run Macromedia Studio MX - I don't do gaming. The HDD is big enough for my needs. I've just noticed it's with XP Home so I'd have to upgrade to XP Pro, so on second thoughts I think it's a non starter!

What do you think to Dells?
Reply 195
spacedonkey
The most taxing thing it'll have to do is run Macromedia Studio MX - I don't do gaming. The HDD is big enough for my needs. I've just noticed it's with XP Home so I'd have to upgrade to XP Pro, so on second thoughts I think it's a non starter!

What do you think of Dells?

Overpriced ****.
sr4470
Overpriced ****.

GAH!!!!

Dell Inspiron 1300
Intel® Pentium® M Processor 745A (1.8GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB), Genuine Windows® XP Professional, SP2
512MB 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2x256)
40Gb HDD

for under £600 inc delivery and VAT????

Everything else in that price range seems to be Celeron which I've been told to avoid like plague!

HEEEEELP!
Reply 197
spacedonkey
GAH!!!!

Dell Inspiron 1300
Intel® Pentium® M Processor 745A (1.8GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB), Genuine Windows® XP Professional, SP2
512MB 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2x256)
40Gb HDD

for under £600 inc delivery and VAT????

First off, thats only 512MB RAM and its 2x256 modules which will make upgrading more difficult (as laptops only have 2 ram slots). The hard drive isnt much considering the price of the laptop, no DVD-RW, and according to a review I've read the processor doesnt even operate at the specified speed\FSB...

spacedonkey
Everything else in that price range seems to be Celeron which I've been told to avoid like plague!

HEEEEELP!

Mobile Celerons (Celeron-M) are in a different league from their desktop counterparts (doesnt have the crippled L2 cache, for 1 thing), and shouldnt be dismissed. Unfortunately the majority of laptops are Intel-based, so the Celeron-M is common in the sub £600 price range.
It does have a 8X DVD+/-RW and I think for an extra £12 I can get the memory as a single 512Mb unit

*crying with the stress of trying to find something decent*

Thanks for your advice though x
Reply 199
spacedonkey
It does have a 8X DVD+/-RW and I think for an extra £12 I can get the memory as a single 512Mb unit

Depends how you configure it, raises the price somewhat.

spacedonkey
*crying with the stress of trying to find something decent*

Hehe aww, you wouldnt last long doing what I do then :wink:

spacedonkey
Thanks for your advice though x

No problem :smile:

Try this:

IBM Thinkpad R51e

IBM laptops have excellent build quality and the spec is good. Less than £550 and free delivery too :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending