The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm thinking of building a desktop for uni, but my question is if I get a TV/Freeview card that goes into a PCI slot, do I still need a monitor with a TV tuner? Thanks for any help!
Reply 201
?

No, you don't need a TV tuner in a monitor if you have one in your PC.

Monitors should be as secular as possible imo, and not have anything related to processing in them (2 cables: power and DVI)
Reply 202
if im gonna be building a desktop in the next few weeks or so, how much would i need for a top spec? and ne recommendations for bits
Reply 203
Top top top spec? You could go anywhere, but reserve about £1800 or so

(Based on decent sound card, FX60, SLI 7900something)
Reply 204
estel
Top top top spec? You could go anywhere, but reserve about £1800 or so

(Based on decent sound card, FX60, SLI 7900something)

Dont forget the 24' TFT. :wink:
Reply 205
lol .... ok i need sum help on this bit? graphics/processor/mobo ..... which 1s?
Reply 206
Day Dream
lol .... ok i need sum help on this bit? graphics/processor/mobo ..... which 1s?

SLI'd Geforce 7900GTX/Athlon 64 X2 4400/DFI SLI-DR Expert or Asus A8N-SLI Premium
Reply 207
lol .... jus checkd my budgeting ..... i got bout 1000 to spend cant get all that i dnt fink can i? dnt wana spend it all, so wana reeli find summin like 'optimum' spec lol .... so much for the top sepc dream :frown:
Reply 208
Day Dream
lol .... jus checkd my budgeting ..... i got bout 1000 to spend cant get all that i dnt fink can i? dnt wana spend it all, so wana reeli find summin like 'optimum' spec lol .... so much for the top sepc dream :frown:

Get a single 7900GTX, Athlon 64 3700 and either of the above motherboards. You could still fit in 2GB RAM and a nice TFT though (19')
Reply 209
which site would get the best deals on all this?
Reply 210
What do you guys think of a Dell Dimension 9150?
anycon
What do you guys think of a Dell Dimension 9150?

Terrible. Its a Dell desktop. Its a lose lose proposition.
Reply 212
Day Dream
which site would get the best deals on all this?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=4294176&postcount=193

Try Dabs first, but do shop around.
Reply 213
Mad Vlad
Terrible. Its a Dell desktop. Its a lose lose proposition.

Oh great right fine ... so I have about £1500 to spend on a home desktop computer, some of which will be spent on a 19" TFT. What's the best company/manufacturer to go for if I want to buy it online from their website?
Reply 214
anycon
Oh great right fine ... so I have about £1500 to spend on a home desktop computer, some of which will be spent on a 19" TFT. What's the best company/manufacturer to go for if I want to buy it online from their website?

I just built someone a PC with a 20' widescreen viewsonic tft for £550. Go figure.

Edit: Exact spec -

AMD Sempron 3000+ (socket 754, 1.8ghz, 128kb L2 cache)
Chaintech VNF3-250 motherboard (AGP)
512MB Corsair DDR400 RAM
80GB Samsung SATA 7200rpm 8mb cache hard disk
ATi Radeon 9500 128MB (connected via DVI)
NEC ND3540A 16x DVD-RW Dual layer
Logitech Internet Pro keyboard and "Pilot" optical mouse
Logitech S200 2.1 Speakers
Viewsonic VA2012W 20' Widescreen TFT (1680x1050)
anycon

Build your own... or pay me to build you one. :biggrin:

What are you using the machine for?
Reply 216
I want it built for me, by a company, because I'm lazy and afraid.
Use it for home ****. No games. Just internet, music, etc. But I want it to run really smoothly. And I don't want a Mac.
Reply 217
PS If I download a torrent of the Adobe Font Folio v.10 but it says '[mac pc]' will the fonts work with Word?
anycon
Use it for home ****. No games. Just internet, music, etc. But I want it to run really smoothly. And I don't want a Mac.

This is where Dell rape people. You dont need to spend anywhere NEAR £1500! Nearer £500 inc. a lovely monitor - like sr4470 suggested.
Reply 219
anycon

Check my edited post on the previous page.

Latest

Trending

Trending