Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Before buying PC please ask our advice first!

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Which Macbook do you have? As far as I'm aware it should play Sims 3 pretty well at 1280x800. In which case I'd just think about getting a screen and an adapter for the Macbook. The Apple Cinema Displays are gorgeous and definitely worth the money if you have a Macbook, but remember you can only use them with MiniDisplay port devices.
    If you're not inclined to spend that much on a monitor consider this monitor and this adapter. Much cheaper than a new computer.
    When you say photo-editing, is this quite casual/low profile stuff? Or are you really in to your photography? In which case we may be able to justify a new computer...

HTPC? Budget? Gaming?

I'd love to build in the SG05 personally :p: Also get a better PSU.
    It's a budget, but basically want it to last at least a few years, although it's for simple computer work, ie word processing, etc...
    HTPC? What's that
    SG05=expesnive :p:

Could you suggest a really cheap PSU? :p:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JChoudhry)
    It's a budget, but basically want it to last at least a few years, although it's for simple computer work, ie word processing, etc...
    HTPC? What's that
    SG05=expesnive :p:

Could you suggest a really cheap PSU? :p:
    By budget I meant what is your budget?
    Home Theater PC (HTPC) are smaller than normal sized PCs, they're usually used with TVs in the living room etc. I recommended the SG05 because you seemed to be going for the HTPC route and it's a damn nice ITX box :p:

No such thing as a cheap PSU. Any cheap PSU comes with a guarantee that it will fail on you, likely taking out any other components with it.

Let's start with budget and uses and we can go from there...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Which Macbook do you have? As far as I'm aware it should play Sims 3 pretty well at 1280x800. In which case I'd just think about getting a screen and an adapter for the Macbook. The Apple Cinema Displays are gorgeous and definitely worth the money if you have a Macbook, but remember you can only use them with MiniDisplay port devices.
    If you're not inclined to spend that much on a monitor consider this monitor and this adapter. Much cheaper than a new computer.
    When you say photo-editing, is this quite casual/low profile stuff? Or are you really in to your photography? In which case we may be able to justify a new computer...
    I have a November 2007 white Macbook so it's getting a bit old now and I'm not planning on buying a new one until next year. I have the adapter to plug it into my TV and tend to use this for watching films and the like, hence why I know I want a big screen for my desktop. I have upgraded the RAM in it to 4GB but the graphics are terrible for things such as Sims, hence wanting a desktop. Also a lot of the games I want to play are not available for Mac. I was considering buying an iMac and putting Windows on it but it would be much cheaper and much less hassle to buy a Windows desktop. As for photo editing, nothing major....I have photoshop elements and do basic editing on photos from time to time but nothing big.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    By budget I meant what is your budget?
    Home Theater PC (HTPC) are smaller than normal sized PCs, they're usually used with TVs in the living room etc. I recommended the SG05 because you seemed to be going for the HTPC route and it's a damn nice ITX box :p:

No such thing as a cheap PSU. Any cheap PSU comes with a guarantee that it will fail on you, likely taking out any other components with it.

Let's start with budget and uses and we can go from there...
    and oh, okay thanks for clearing up.
    £320ish
    • 81 followers

ReputationRep:
    £320ish
    And whats your uses?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    MODS Could we have a new thread? This is more than 5 years old. Would be thankful to at least hear a response.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    And whats your uses?
    word processing, etc..school work, don't need monitor, keyboard, mouse speakers and OS.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *k.a.t.e*)
    I have a November 2007 white Macbook so it's getting a bit old now and I'm not planning on buying a new one until next year. I have the adapter to plug it into my TV and tend to use this for watching films and the like, hence why I know I want a big screen for my desktop. I have upgraded the RAM in it to 4GB but the graphics are terrible for things such as Sims, hence wanting a desktop. Also a lot of the games I want to play are not available for Mac. I was considering buying an iMac and putting Windows on it but it would be much cheaper and much less hassle to buy a Windows desktop. As for photo editing, nothing major....I have photoshop elements and do basic editing on photos from time to time but nothing big.
    So you're buying another Macbook next year and you also wish to buy a desktop...? I'm slightly confused.
    You can put bootcamp on your macbook as well, either your current one or the new one. Do you really need the portability? Because from what it sounds like you'd just be better off with a nice desktop.
    The newest Macbook Pro is capable of playing newish games at reasonable settings, they may not be Crysis but it doesn't sound like that's one of your requirements anyway.

What games do you want to play? That'll also help suggest a decent graphics card.

(Original post by k.andy)
    [SIZE="6"][COLOR="Navy"][/SIZE]MODS Could we have a new thread? This is more than 5 years old. Would be thankful to at least hear a response.[/COLOR]
    Mods don't tend to read every thread. There's nothing wrong with this one being 5 years old as far as I can see...

£320ish
    What are your uses? With such a tight budget you're looking at AMD probably. Also do you need a Windows license? Speakers? Mouse/Keyboard? etc.

EDIT: You posted as I was writing this, sorry.
    • 81 followers

ReputationRep:
    word processing, etc..school work, don't need monitor, keyboard, mouse speakers and OS.

Click on image to enlarge

Oh and when u get in motherbaord unlock the dual core cpu to 4 cores and test for a hr to see if its fine like that ;p
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:

Click on image to enlarge

Oh and when u get in motherbaord unlock the dual core cpu to 4 cores and test for a hr to see if its fine like that ;p
    Haha thanks, but I'm kind of keen on having the i3 :p:
    Although the BE looks hot! Will the quadcore unlock for sure and what's hr?
    • 81 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha thanks, but I'm kind of keen on having the i3 :p:
    Although the BE looks hot! Will the quadcore unlock for sure and what's hr?
    HR = hour

Ive never unsuccesfully unlocked the 2 extra cores so its very high chance.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    HR = hour

Ive never unsuccesfully unlocked the 2 extra cores so its very high chance.
    Oooh, my bad, so use prime95 for an hour or something, right? and okay cheers, I'll look into that, but that i3 is what I really want :p:

Thanks though!!
    • 81 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, my bad, so use prime95 for an hour or something, right? and okay cheers, I'll look into that, but that i3 is what I really want :p:

Thanks though!!
    I3 gunna be outta budget or you gunna have to gimp on other parts for it and you wont notice the diff when using it for college work, honest. Ye prime 95 for a hr is very good idea.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    I3 gunna be outta budget or you gunna have to gimp on other parts for it and you wont notice the diff when using it for college work, honest. Ye prime 95 for a hr is very good idea.
    I don't mind maybe possibly having to go up to £350 or so if necessary and okay, I'm definetely considering the BE if it can be unlocked though =]
    • 81 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind maybe possibly having to go up to £350 or so if necessary and okay, I'm definetely considering the BE if it can be unlocked though =]
    Just incase you want it, heres a I3 build

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Thanks though!!
    I agree with what the other guy is saying. An i3 for your needs is a little overkill, get an AMD x3 or even maybe x4 - you will be getting more for your money, or just a cheaper deal.

Edit: Here is a nice build I threw together. At ~£250 it's pretty decent price too.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Instead of a buying a PC, just build one. You end up saving loads of time.

If your really interested in building your own PC, email the manufacturers and ask if they have any free parts. Worked for me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    edit: double post.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guyag)
    For some reason I can't find my post, so here it is:

I agree with what the other guy is saying. An i3 for your needs is a little overkill, get an AMD x3 or even maybe x4 - you will be getting more for your money, or just a cheaper deal.
    Here is a nice build I threw together. At ~£250 it's pretty decent price too.
    Thanks, but I'm a bit stubborn on the i3 :p: But I'll look into that link as well, seems decent for 275
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, but I'm a bit stubborn on the i3 :p: But I'll look into that link as well, seems decent for 275
    Can I ask what it is about the i3 that attracts you so much?
Updated: June 10, 2013
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.