Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Before buying PC please ask our advice first!

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 15-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexs2602)
    Do you plan to upgrade/overclock later? Do you currently have a hard drive you can use? This will be a tight budget for a gaming pc.
    To answer your questions - yes, I will want to upgrade/overclock in the future, no I don't have a hard drive that I can use, and yes, I know it's not a lot of money but I've got to start somewhere.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fairly good build although you could probably shave a little bit off of that by changing the power supply to a 500W~ OCZ, coolermaster or corsair. The motherboard should be fine as long as you don't plan to crossfire or SLI in the future. However if you don't plan on overclocking you may be able to save yourself even more money by going with a H67 mobo. Hard drive's a bit dodgy - prices are high right now due to flooding in Thailand but they're not due to go down any time soon.
    I feel quite stupid for asking but what does crossfire and SLI mean? However I think I probably will overclock in the future.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrinceUpsb)
    Can anyone help me out here;
    I wish to buy a laptop.

I will use it for
    -school work (all office programs)
    -browsing the net (forums, social networking)
    -using photoshop now and again
    -occasionally making films with movie maker [NB I usually record in 1080p HD so this needs to be supported]
    -the odd online flash game

I want it to be nice and fast, I don't have a great knowledge of computers so could someone else please tell me the sort of specs required for the above tasks. Also if anyone knows of a specific laptop that would meet my reqs please send me a link!

I am thinking of a Windows 7 OS, as a mac would probably be out of my price range.

I am feeling a max of ~£500, but if there is one that does my required tasks for less than that, please let me know!
    Macs are also a total rip off.

I'm not really a laptop person but generally speaking you should be looking for one with an intel i3/i5 2xxx processor(i.e.: i3-2330M) and 4GB+ RAM.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edsterr)
    I feel quite stupid for asking but what does crossfire and SLI mean? However I think I probably will overclock in the future.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Link_Interface

To answer your questions - yes, I will want to upgrade/overclock in the future, no I don't have a hard drive that I can use, and yes, I know it's not a lot of money but I've got to start somewhere.
    The problem is to overclock you need a K version processor(intel i5-2500K is very popular) so you either need a bigger budget or you'll have to get it further down the line when you can afford it. When you do overclock you need a third party CPU cooler - I suggest a Gelid Tranquillo rev 2. As long as you don't plan to get dual graphics cards at any point that motherboard will be fine, as will the power supply wattage.

To clarify slightly; you cannot overclock the i3-2100
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fairly good build although you could probably shave a little bit off of that by changing the power supply to a 500W~ OCZ, coolermaster or corsair. The motherboard should be fine as long as you don't plan to crossfire or SLI in the future. However if you don't plan on overclocking you may be able to save yourself even more money by going with a H67 mobo. Hard drive's a bit dodgy - prices are high right now due to flooding in Thailand but they're not due to go down any time soon.
    The guy had a 2TB drive in his original spec so I assumed that's what he's after. Cheapest I could find on Scan.

I've just had a quick look at that link and it looks great, but I might need to spend more time to check it properly, other than that it looks great thanks.
    No problem. Have a look around Overclockers UK and Overclock.net forums if you want to learn more.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    There is too many pages for me to read and find out this, but is it really better to build your own PC then to buy it from say PC World?
    What if I don't know how to build my own pc, and if I don't want to build it myself? Are there any website that offers cheap labour and does all the fitting?
    I was thinking of getting a PC for extreme gaming and multimedia, I want good sound card, graphics cards etc. I am lost when it comes to computer parts so I would be greatful if someone could maybe provide a spec of a computer that would be worth the money.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom B.)
    The guy had a 2TB drive in his original spec so I assumed that's what he's after. Cheapest I could find on Scan.
    The only reason I wanted the 2TB HDD was because it was £67 off on ebuyer, so I would still be more than happy with 1TB instead.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Killerstorm2)
    There is too many pages for me to read and find out this, but is it really better to build your own PC then to buy it from say PC World?
    What if I don't know how to build my own pc, and if I don't want to build it myself? Are there any website that offers cheap labour and does all the fitting?
    I was thinking of getting a PC for extreme gaming and multimedia, I want good sound card, graphics cards etc. I am lost when it comes to computer parts so I would be greatful if someone could maybe provide a spec of a computer that would be worth the money.
    Generally speaking it gives you a lot more flexibility than buying a prebuilt pc from a manufacturer such as acer and the like. It also allows you to upgrade at a later date more easily. There are guides all over the place to help with building and it's a lot easier than you'd think. As long as you're careful you shouldnt have a problem. If you had a budget that would be a good place to start. By extreme multimedia what are you trying to say? Would you be planning on overclocking?

Oh and it's cheaper.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    @Tom B
    I was wondering if you had any more suggestions for components such as the case, motherboard...etc, as I'm going to be buying from ebuyer due to being more familiar with it, but unfortunately it does not have all the parts you suggested. I know it would probably be easy enough to find equivalent parts but I don't want to end up getting the wrong thing, as I would of if I hadn't checked here first.
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've decided to build my own pc. I'm going to be using it mostly for gaming but I only have a budget of £600. So far I've got a list of components that I feel would satisfy what I'm looking for. All the parts are from ebuyer, and are as follows:

Intel Core i3 550 3.2GHz Socket 1156 4MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156, 1155, 1366, AM2, AM3 Heatpipe CPU Cooler
    Asus M5A78L/USB3 AMD Socket AM3+ 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard
    Gainward GTX 550 Ti Golden Sample 1GB GDDR5 DVI VGA HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card
    Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz HyperX Blu Memory Kit CL9 1.65V Non-ECC Unbuffered
    Corsair 500W CX V2 PSU
    Antec 300 Three Hundred Case
    LiteOn iHAS124 24x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black with Nero Essentials
    WD 2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s Caviar Green Hard Drive - 64MB Cache - WD20EARX
    Windows 7 Home Premium

I copied and pasted this exactly as I'm unsure on how much of it is necessary. If someone could check this to see if there are any improvements to be made or, more importantly, if for some reason it wouldn't work, it would be much appreciated.
    Try

http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-in...VJG.html?src=2

P8Z68-V LX Motherboard, Intel Core i5-2500K & 8GB DDR3

http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-in...X1V.html?src=2

P8H61-M LE/USB3 Motherboard, Intel Core i3-2100 & 2GB DDR3 Memory
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xAres)
    Replace the HD 6950 with the GTX 560 Ti. they're around same-ish performance but the 560 Ti is cheaper.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-m...0mhz-384-cores

Other than that, the rest of the system seems good.
    To be honest, I put THAT 6950 in there to demo the specification.
    I have a bios-unlocked 6950 sat in my cupboard waiting to go in it, so he's getting 6970 performance for £200-ish regardless of the other components

I've decided to build my own pc. I'm going to be using it mostly for gaming but I only have a budget of £600. So far I've got a list of components that I feel would satisfy what I'm looking for. All the parts are from ebuyer, and are as follows:

Intel Core i3 550 3.2GHz Socket 1156 4MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor Dual core at this budget is a bit... underwhelming.
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156, 1155, 1366, AM2, AM3 Heatpipe CPU Cooler I'd warn you off this one too
    Asus M5A78L/USB3 AMD Socket AM3+ 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard Wrong motherboard platform...
    Gainward GTX 550 Ti Golden Sample 1GB GDDR5 DVI VGA HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card
    Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz HyperX Blu Memory Kit CL9 1.65V Non-ECC Unbuffered
    Corsair 500W CX V2 PSU
    Antec 300 Three Hundred Case
    LiteOn iHAS124 24x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black with Nero Essentials
    WD 2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s Caviar Green Hard Drive - 64MB Cache - WD20EARX
    Windows 7 Home Premium

I copied and pasted this exactly as I'm unsure on how much of it is necessary. If someone could check this to see if there are any improvements to be made or, more importantly, if for some reason it wouldn't work, it would be much appreciated.
    for a budget like yours I'd be tempted to try an AMD build with nice reliable components:
    http://i43.tinypic.com/b3lgnc.png
    (the hard drive in this one's ****. I still object to hard drives costing triple what they should due to the shortage )
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Try

http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-in...VJG.html?src=2

P8Z68-V LX Motherboard, Intel Core i5-2500K & 8GB DDR3
    That's a... brave... choice of motherboard for a processor like that
    I'd personally be worried about cooking the mosfets. Seen it happen at least a dozen times on boards without proper cooling.
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrinceUpsb)
    Can anyone help me out here;
    I wish to buy a laptop.

I will use it for
    -school work (all office programs)
    -browsing the net (forums, social networking)
    -using photoshop now and again
    -occasionally making films with movie maker [NB I usually record in 1080p HD so this needs to be supported]
    -the odd online flash game

I want it to be nice and fast, I don't have a great knowledge of computers so could someone else please tell me the sort of specs required for the above tasks. Also if anyone knows of a specific laptop that would meet my reqs please send me a link!

I am thinking of a Windows 7 OS, as a mac would probably be out of my price range.

I am feeling a max of ~£500, but if there is one that does my required tasks for less than that, please let me know!
    Properly need a decent laptop spec with at least 4gb ram, a HD capable dedicated graphics card and probs an i5.
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    That's a... brave... choice of motherboard for a processor like that
    I'd personally be worried about cooking the mosfets. Seen it happen at least a dozen times on boards without proper cooling.
    Probably best thing to do is, balance it out with a few extra fans in the cases and a different cooling system for the processor.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This thread has shown me just how little I know about PCs. So far this (http://i43.tinypic.com/b3lgnc.png) seems like the best for being a self-built gaming pc with a budget of £600. Should I get this, or has anyone got any other suggestions?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I put THAT 6950 in there to demo the specification.
    I have a bios-unlocked 6950 sat in my cupboard waiting to go in it, so he's getting 6970 performance for £200-ish regardless of the other components

for a budget like yours I'd be tempted to try an AMD build with nice reliable components:
    http://i43.tinypic.com/b3lgnc.png
    (the hard drive in this one's ****. I still object to hard drives costing triple what they should due to the shortage )
    AMD? Ehh... Intel pounds them on performance on every front.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Probably best thing to do is, balance it out with a few extra fans in the cases and a different cooling system for the processor.
    Case fans and CPU coolers will do sod all for mosfet cooling (with the possible exception of top-down cooling but that won't do much without actual mosfet heatsinks).
    To clear up any confusion, the mosfets are these bits:

If they're not properly cooled (as above) it's a recipie for disaster with high-end CPUs.

This thread has shown me just how little I know about PCs. So far this (http://i43.tinypic.com/b3lgnc.png) seems like the best for being a self-built gaming pc with a budget of £600. Should I get this, or has anyone got any other suggestions?
    The one edit I might recommend is that if you fancy having 6 CPU cores rather than 4 there's a 3.3Ghz hexacore model of that chip for £20 more:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/15-ca...5200mt-s-95w-r

Also you should probably switch to a different hard drive, western digital (particularly the caviar blue/black series) are generally better hard drives than these hitachis, I really just put it in there because it was cheap for what hard drives seem to cost at the minute...

AMD? Ehh... Intel pounds them on performance on every front.
    Not really on this kind of budget.
    If he was spending £1000, or even £750, then sure, go i5 2500k, I make a stupid number of machines with those chips and they perform very well. But you can't make a decent 2500k build for less than £700, and the AMD chips still perform admirably. The only modern applications that require really mega per-thread CPU performance (ie, applications in which the intel chip would be noticeably better) are in high-end simulation...
    And on applications which can spread the CPU load around many cores, the AMD chips punch above their weight price-wise.
    Also there will be no more new 1155 or 1156 socket performance chips, whereas AMD's platforms generally provide upgradability.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Case fans and CPU coolers will do sod all for mosfet cooling (with the possible exception of top-down cooling but that won't do much without actual mosfet heatsinks).
    To clear up any confusion, the mosfets are these bits:

If they're not properly cooled (as above) it's a recipie for disaster with high-end CPUs.

The one edit I might recommend is that if you fancy having 6 CPU cores rather than 4 there's a 3.3Ghz hexacore model of that chip for £20 more:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/15-ca...5200mt-s-95w-r

Also you should probably switch to a different hard drive, western digital (particularly the caviar blue/black series) are generally better hard drives than these hitachis, I really just put it in there because it was cheap for what hard drives seem to cost at the minute...

Not really on this kind of budget.
    If he was spending £1000, or even £750, then sure, go i5 2500k, I make a stupid number of machines with those chips and they perform very well. But you can't make a decent 2500k build for less than £700, and the AMD chips still perform admirably. The only modern applications that require really mega per-thread CPU performance (ie, applications in which the intel chip would be noticeably better) are in high-end simulation...
    And on applications which can spread the CPU load around many cores, the AMD chips punch above their weight price-wise.
    Also there will be no more new 1155 or 1156 socket performance chips, whereas AMD's platforms generally provide upgradability.
    Really depends what you mean by machine. I've got a build worked out for £430. Pretty much bottom of the range for i5-2500K systems but I don't need a graphics card, a hard drive or an operating system. That saves me in the region of £370.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of going Bulldozer x8 for a simulation machine that pegs all cores at 100% all of the time, purely for the core count vs price.

Will it be possible to dual boot Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard and Windows 7 x64, + a ~5GB program on a 60GB SSD? Or will there not be enough room for everything to run comfortably?

The specs say that the Server version requires 32GB, and the 7x64 needs 20Gb, add 5 and its at 57 :/

Feck.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick Longjohnson)
    I'm thinking of going Bulldozer x8 for a simulation machine that pegs all cores at 100% all of the time, purely for the core count vs price.

Will it be possible to dual boot Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard and Windows 7 x64, + a ~5GB program on a 60GB SSD? Or will there not be enough room for everything to run comfortably?

The specs say that the Server version requires 32GB, and the 7x64 needs 20Gb, add 5 and its at 57 :/

Feck.
    From what I've gathered; no, it won't be enough - not even a 64GB SSD would. You'd want 120/128GB(possibly more) and a Crucial M4. For more informed info ask at forums.overclockers.co.uk

With regards to the processor I'd ask there too because personally speaking I'd say that intel is better for this job but they'll know better.
Updated: June 10, 2013
New on TSR

A-level secrets uncovered

Learn from the experience of last year's A-level students

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.