The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6840
Yo, want to upgrade my 295... 570 or 670 (Has to be Nvidia, rocking the 3d displays :smile: Debating on getting 2 570's at the moment :/
Original post by MrHunter
Yo, want to upgrade my 295... 570 or 670 (Has to be Nvidia, rocking the 3d displays :smile: Debating on getting 2 570's at the moment :/

2 570's are around £400 quid I believe (just done a quick google). why not get a single card worth in that price range?
Reply 6842
Trying to build the cheapest computer I possibly can. It will be used for medium graphics gaming and general use. I came up with this:

CPU: Intel Pentium G840 2.8GHz Dual-Core Processor (£53.81 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: ASRock P67 PRO3 SE ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£64.19 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Kingston 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (£14.00 @ Maplin Electronics)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£51.99 @ Dabs)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 6670 1GB Video Card (£51.76 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 335 Upgraded ATX Mid Tower Case (£32.87 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: XFX 550W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £332.61

Improvements?
Reply 6843
I'm assuming this isn't for gaming? Get a mobo that supports onboard graphics, ditch the 6670 GPU, and get the Corsair CX430 PSU which is usually like £36 and way more than enough for what you need. You could also ditch the other 4GB stick of RAM and just go with 4GB overall.

What's this for?
Original post by Yiddo1
Trying to build the cheapest computer I possibly can. It will be used for medium graphics gaming and general use. I came up with this:

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£51.99 @ Dabs)

Improvements?

Too much RAM, too much power (for what you have it just seems like a waste of money really).

I'd personally spend the extra £20 to get a 6770. Pick one up here for £20 more than your current card choice.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6845
Original post by hassi94
Too much RAM, too much power (for what you have it just seems like a waste of money really).

I'd personally spend the extra £20 to get a 6770. Pick one up here for £20 more than your current card choice.

I changed to a 450W PSU and removed a stick of RAM and it came to £305.

Should I use the extra £50 (my budget is £350) to upgrade the GPU to something like the 6850?
Original post by Yiddo1

Should I use the extra £50 (my budget is £350) to upgrade the GPU to something like the 6850?

I'd definitely say so. It will last a lot longer in terms of being current for longer :smile:
Reply 6847
Original post by Yiddo1

The 6850 is a very good idea if you can stretch to it. Look around, it sometimes goes for £90, but seems to be at least £100 now.

What PSU did you go for? I've got the Corsair CX430 running a 2500K at 4.5GHz and an Asus 6850 at 950MHz. It's a very good PSU.
Reply 6848
Original post by SMed
The 6850 is a very good idea if you can stretch to it. Look around, it sometimes goes for £90, but seems to be at least £100 now.

What PSU did you go for? I've got the Corsair CX430 running a 2500K at 4.5GHz and an Asus 6850 at 950MHz. It's a very good PSU.

Went for the CX430 as well. Decent enough reviews.

I was going to go for a Phenom II 965 BE build but with the 1155 Intel boards I have at least left myself some upgrade room for the future if I wanted to go for an i5 or something.

Thanks for the help!
Reply 6849
Good call.
Guys, I could really do with some advice.

My degree is almost over and I'm looking forward to buying a new gaming desktop (something top of the range, price range about 500-700).

I'd need it to play new games like TOR and GW2 on highest settings. Right now my current computer can barely manage WoW on minimal settings.

I've been looking at Dino PC since my mate recently bought a PC from there and he's happy with his new desktop, but I'm not sure if they're any good. (In particular I'm looking at the Gallant AMD X6 6100). I want the PC to be able to play stuff like Skyrim, Arkham City and the like. Will this be sufficient to keep me going for a good 5-6 years? Obviously by the end of it I won't be playing stuff on highest settings, but medium-low by the end of its lifespan is good enough.

However, I have noticed over the past 4-5 years or so that I've had my current computer that I'm really not good with this stuff. I'd like to learn about how my gaming PC works, as well as what graphics cards are better than others. Can anyone recommend a website or something that'll explain it?
Reply 6851
Original post by wanderlust.xx

My degree is almost over and I'm looking forward to buying a new gaming desktop (something top of the range, price range about 500-700).

I'd need it to play new games like TOR and GW2 on highest settings. Right now my current computer can barely manage WoW on minimal settings.

I've been looking at Dino PC since my mate recently bought a PC from there and he's happy with his new desktop, but I'm not sure if they're any good. (In particular I'm looking at the Gallant AMD X6 6100). I want the PC to be able to play stuff like Skyrim, Arkham City and the like. Will this be sufficient to keep me going for a good 5-6 years? Obviously by the end of it I won't be playing stuff on highest settings, but medium-low by the end of its lifespan is good enough.

However, I have noticed over the past 4-5 years or so that I've had my current computer that I'm really not good with this stuff. I'd like to learn about how my gaming PC works, as well as what graphics cards are better than others. Can anyone recommend a website or something that'll explain it?

You just have to read around the web a lot, check benchmarks etc.

A good place to start is here: http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/pc-information/
Reply 6852

£500-700 will be sort of middle of the pack. It will play most games on high, but not all of them.

AMD is dead. Intel now beat them at pretty much every price point. You can build a decent gaming rig for £700. I'd go with an i5 2500K and a 7850 GPU and overclock the hell out of both of them. That will play most things on high.

Do you also need a monitor, keyboard, mouse and operating system?
Original post by SMed
£500-700 will be sort of middle of the pack. It will play most games on high, but not all of them.

AMD is dead. Intel now beat them at pretty much every price point. You can build a decent gaming rig for £700. I'd go with an i5 2500K and a 7850 GPU and overclock the hell out of both of them. That will play most things on high.

Do you also need a monitor, keyboard, mouse and operating system?

Okay, I can probably stretch the budget to about a grand since I'm sure my parents will be happy to give me a present for my 21st and my graduation rolled into one.

I don't really *need* a new minotor/keyboard, I have a decent monitor atm (21") and I'm skeptical how much another monitor will enhance graphs. I might buy a new keyboard and mouse but I doubt that'll set me back more than £50.

See I could build a rig but a) I have no idea how a system works and I might end up doing something stupid and b) I'm sure that takes a lot of time and energy and even though I'm gonna have a lot of free time, I don't know where I should really learn from.

If we're talking that price point pre-monitor you can get quite an impressive machine for £700.

First of all: forget AMD processors (unless you're going for a super-budget PC which you're not) - they are terrible in comparison to Intel nowadays.

Go for the 3570k here:

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/Intel+Core+i5-3570K+3.40GHz+%28Ivybridge%29+Socket+LGA1155+Processor+%2877W%29+-+Retail+?productId=49755

As afaik its the same price as the older (but still great) 2500k

That plus a 75 pound z77 motherboard is 230 so far (but I'm sure you could've worked that out :tongue:)

Plus 100 for case and psu (I'd recommend the cooler master storm enforcer + 650w psu bundle personally but you could save another 30 or so if you wanted something simpler/ or with less power output.

40 pounds for a good set of 8gb ram and 70 for a hard drive and that's 440 so far.

Now the graphics card is basically dictated by what you have left in your budget. I would go amd up until you can afford a 7950/670 then definitely go nvidia.

Toms hardware is good and is where I learnt most of what I know.
Original post by Yiddo1

Improvements?

http://www.ebuyer.com/220863-coolermaster-elite-330-case-with-coolermaster-extreme-power-500w-psu-rc-330-kkpl-gp

PSU and case for £50 from Coolmaster?

You could also you use your old harddrive to save some money.
Your ram is too much, you'll barely use that much and you can definitely upgrade quite a bit more to 6850, sometimes they 90 but prices change every day.

Yeah that pc should be excellent for gaming in the time being, by the end of it should still be playing on medium, the 570 graphics on it very good.

The mobo on it is ok, the ram on it is probably generic, good case and power supply........the processors ok, not the best compared to the i5....the main good thing is the warranty.

Why can't you build a pc yourself? It's honestly not that hard at all :smile:
And you'll definitely be able to get a better deal, with the higher end parts.
Original post by hassi94
If we're talking that price point pre-monitor you can get quite an impressive machine for £700.

First of all: forget AMD processors (unless you're going for a super-budget PC which you're not) - they are terrible in comparison to Intel nowadays.

Go for the 3570k here:

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/Intel+Core+i5-3570K+3.40GHz+%28Ivybridge%29+Socket+LGA1155+Processor+%2877W%29+-+Retail+?productId=49755

As afaik its the same price as the older (but still great) 2500k

That plus a 75 pound z77 motherboard is 230 so far (but I'm sure you could've worked that out :tongue:)

Plus 100 for case and psu (I'd recommend the cooler master storm enforcer + 650w psu bundle personally but you could save another 30 or so if you wanted something simpler/ or with less power output.

40 pounds for a good set of 8gb ram and 70 for a hard drive and that's 440 so far.

Now the graphics card is basically dictated by what you have left in your budget. I would go amd up until you can afford a 7950/670 then definitely go nvidia.

Toms hardware is good and is where I learnt most of what I know.

Thanks for the advice, and I'll take a look at Tom's Hardware. The PC I'm currently looking at is running
a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 on about 8gb ram, so are you saying I can get a better graphics card for less than ~700-450=£150?

Original post by Iqbal007
Yeah that pc should be excellent for gaming in the time being, by the end of it should still be playing on medium, the 570 graphics on it very good.

The mobo on it is ok, the ram on it is probably generic, good case and power supply........the processors ok, not the best compared to the i5....the main good thing is the warranty.

Why can't you build a pc yourself? It's honestly not that hard at all :smile:
And you'll definitely be able to get a better deal, with the higher end parts.

I think it's mainly because it would be my first time building one and I wouldn't really have anyone guiding me through it. I wouldn't know if what I was doing was right or not. But I'll have a think about it.

Right now I'm actually debating whether or not I should go for the £749 one on Dino PC; its an intel processor with a better graphics card, should last a little longer.

The best way to build a gaming pc is: 4 cores overclockable
4-8GB RAM (Enthusiast)
Enough power
Enough case space
Enough HDD space
a good CPU cooler and case cooling
Overclocking motherboard
The best GPU(s) you can afford.

To overclock there are always guides on youtube. Always pay attention to comment etc.
Thanks for the advice, and I'll take a look at Tom's Hardware. The PC I'm currently looking at is running
a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 on about 8gb ram, so are you saying I can get a better graphics card for less than ~700-450=£150?

I think it's mainly because it would be my first time building one and I wouldn't really have anyone guiding me through it. I wouldn't know if what I was doing was right or not. But I'll have a think about it.

Right now I'm actually debating whether or not I should go for the £749 one on Dino PC; its an intel processor with a better graphics card, should last a little longer.

Well I'd personally go for the Radeon 7850 over the 570 - they're about equal in performance and price except the 570 uses an absolute tonne of power and runs a lot hotter whilst the 7850 is more efficient. This means you can overclock the 7850 a lot more (easier than it sounds, you just click and scroll :tongue:) or even if you don't it'll save money on electricity bills.

And building a PC isn't hard at all. There are loads of guides online including video tutorials. Everything fits in a specific place so it's hard to get things wrong if you read instructions properly :smile:

Wait, I just realised what you were saying with the 570. If you can get everything I said for the same price prebuilt but with a 570 then go for it I guess.

I quite enjoy building the PC myself - part of the fun :tongue:

EDIT: Just checked out that PC. The AMD is so much weaker than the Intel i5, believe me.

This benchmark: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/fx-8150-zambezi-bulldozer-990fx,review-32295-6.html

Shows that core for core (as in running each with just 1 core rather than quad/hexa core - most games will run on 2 cores max) the i7 2600k is like twice as fast as the AMD. And the 3570k is faster still core for core than the i7 2600k.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending