The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wanderlust.xx
Thanks for the advice, and I'll take a look at Tom's Hardware. The PC I'm currently looking at is running
a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 on about 8gb ram, so are you saying I can get a better graphics card for less than ~700-450=£150?

I think it's mainly because it would be my first time building one and I wouldn't really have anyone guiding me through it. I wouldn't know if what I was doing was right or not. But I'll have a think about it.

Right now I'm actually debating whether or not I should go for the £749 one on Dino PC; its an intel processor with a better graphics card, should last a little longer.

Building one isn't diofficult, make sure you have static wristwatch thingy, the only scary part is loading the CPU in.... i hate that lurching sound. In term of if you want to save money ( and don't are about a warranty) get the base spec pc from dino ( PSU+CPU++CASE+motherboard+cheapest HDD and RAM) and then buy the extra bits (GPU more RAM and a HDD) and them as they're the easy parts. You'll get more for your money though you will void your warranty so don't pay for an expensive one if you do.
Thanks for the advice, and I'll take a look at Tom's Hardware. The PC I'm currently looking at is running
a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 on about 8gb ram, so are you saying I can get a better graphics card for less than ~700-450=£150?

I think it's mainly because it would be my first time building one and I wouldn't really have anyone guiding me through it. I wouldn't know if what I was doing was right or not. But I'll have a think about it.

Right now I'm actually debating whether or not I should go for the £749 one on Dino PC; its an intel processor with a better graphics card, should last a little longer.

It's honestly not hard at all, it just a pain in the ass trying to screw your motherboard down to the case lool and your power supply, apart from that, everything else is very simple. I'll guide you through it, I have guided someone with the power connectors on this thread couple pages back, which can help.

If your talking about the Mass effect one, the graphics card isn't better, its slightly worse, the processor is better though.
Original post by Iqbal007
It's honestly not hard at all, it just a pain in the ass trying to screw your motherboard down to the case lool and your power supply, apart from that, everything else is very simple. I'll guide you through it, I have guided someone with the power connectors on this thread couple pages back, which can help.

If your talking about the Mass effect one, the graphics card isn't better, its slightly worse, the processor is better though.

Tell me about it :colonhash:
Reply 6863
Original post by hassi94

Getting the I/O shield on at the back is so damn fiddly.
Original post by zxh800

And that! :tongue: The hardest bits are the bits that aren't very technical at all haha.
Original post by hassi94
Well I'd personally go for the Radeon 7850 over the 570 - they're about equal in performance and price except the 570 uses an absolute tonne of power and runs a lot hotter whilst the 7850 is more efficient. This means you can overclock the 7850 a lot more (easier than it sounds, you just click and scroll :tongue:) or even if you don't it'll save money on electricity bills.

And building a PC isn't hard at all. There are loads of guides online including video tutorials. Everything fits in a specific place so it's hard to get things wrong if you read instructions properly :smile:

Wait, I just realised what you were saying with the 570. If you can get everything I said for the same price prebuilt but with a 570 then go for it I guess.

I quite enjoy building the PC myself - part of the fun :tongue:

EDIT: Just checked out that PC. The AMD is so much weaker than the Intel i5, believe me.

This benchmark: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/fx-8150-zambezi-bulldozer-990fx,review-32295-6.html

Shows that core for core (as in running each with just 1 core rather than quad/hexa core - most games will run on 2 cores max) the i7 2600k is like twice as fast as the AMD. And the 3570k is faster still core for core than the i7 2600k.

Okay right, so from what I'm getting is that if I just take the plunge and build a PC, it'll be far more worth it in terms of speed and power. If my parents highly disapprove (and since they're my primary source of funding) then I'm guessing that the Mass Effect i5 @ 4.3Ghz or Veloce i7 3770 from Dino PC will be the best bet, since they both have i5/i7 processors and better graphics cards (NVIDIA 560 and NVIDIA 670 respectively).

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hopefully I'll be able to build my PC and I'd probably just formulate most of it around the Veloce i7 3770 spec, do some research and see what parts offer a higher performance for a cheaper price and replace them.
Original post by zxh800

I messed that up on mine, only four out of the five USB sockets work without shorting my PC! :P luckily i don't use USB's a lot :P
Guys I need help.
I'm a computer noob; seriously know nothing when it comes to buying a PC. I was wandering if anyone had any suggestions. I need a fairly fast, reliable desktop PC which I mostly be using for educational purposes, browsing the net & watching videos etc. I'm not a PC gamer.
I also want to use multiple applications at once without the CPU and fan going ape-**** on me. I know there's masses of pages with relevant, useful information on this thread, but I don't have home internet access at the moment, so time is really of the essence.

Budget is £650 max
Thanks!
Okay right, so from what I'm getting is that if I just take the plunge and build a PC, it'll be far more worth it in terms of speed and power. If my parents highly disapprove (and since they're my primary source of funding) then I'm guessing that the Mass Effect i5 @ 4.3Ghz or Veloce i7 3770 from Dino PC will be the best bet, since they both have i5/i7 processors and better graphics cards (NVIDIA 560 and NVIDIA 670 respectively).

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hopefully I'll be able to build my PC and I'd probably just formulate most of it around the Veloce i7 3770 spec, do some research and see what parts offer a higher performance for a cheaper price and replace them.

Yeah basically, the Veloce i7 is really top of the range stuff - would be an excellent PC.

I just priced up the Veloce i7 (I'm building a very similar machine) and they've put an extra £150-200 premium on it which isn't so bad really, and my build didn't include windows 7 so it could be argued they're adding a £100-150 premium :smile: Just depends if you need to buy windows 7 or not.

If you do decide to build, you can PM me if you want because I've researched loads of prices and stuff for that build so I could link you things :smile:
Original post by Jin3011
Guys I need help.
I'm a computer noob; seriously know nothing when it comes to buying a PC. I was wandering if anyone had any suggestions. I need a fairly fast, reliable desktop PC which I mostly be using for educational purposes, browsing the net & watching videos etc. I'm not a PC gamer.
I also want to use multiple applications at once without the CPU and fan going ape-**** on me. I know there's masses of pages with relevant, useful information on this thread, but I don't have home internet access at the moment, so time is really of the essence.

Budget is £650 max
Thanks!

Does £650 include a monitor, keyboard, mouse, windows 7?
Original post by hassi94
Does £650 include a monitor, keyboard, mouse, windows 7?

I already have a monitor, and the mouse, keyboard and rest are to be separately budgeted for:smile:
Original post by Jin3011
I already have a monitor, and the mouse, keyboard and rest are to be separately budgeted for:smile:

Then your budget is more than enough if you don't want to game.

Case - £32

PSU - £36

Motherboard - £76

Processor - £156

DVD Drive - £15 (or blu ray for an extra £25 here)

Hard Drive - £70

Optional 256GB SSD - £174 but you can get a 128 for half the price if you'd like.

This should last at least 4-5 years and is £560 in total. Bear in mind I have probably gone further than you need to but you will be extremely happy with the performance given.

Woops, forgot RAM. Corsair Vengeance £40.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6872
Okay, I can probably stretch the budget to about a grand since I'm sure my parents will be happy to give me a present for my 21st and my graduation rolled into one.

I don't really *need* a new minotor/keyboard, I have a decent monitor atm (21") and I'm skeptical how much another monitor will enhance graphs. I might buy a new keyboard and mouse but I doubt that'll set me back more than £50.

See I could build a rig but a) I have no idea how a system works and I might end up doing something stupid and b) I'm sure that takes a lot of time and energy and even though I'm gonna have a lot of free time, I don't know where I should really learn from.

At that price point, I'd still be getting a monitor. 21" is nothing, and is probably 1600*1050 resolution. Go for something at least 24" and 1920*1080. 24" is much much bigger than a 21" screen.

For mouse and keyboard go with Logitech G400 mouse and Microsoft Sidewinder X4: pretty much the best mouse and keyboard you can get for that sort of money.
Reply 6873

The 570 is still a good card, I thought you couldn't even play WoW?
Looking for a sub 100 pound GPU.

Scan has an MSI 6850 for 83. Anyone know of anything better in that price range?
Reply 6875
Original post by Nick Longjohnson

Scan has an MSI 6850 for 83. Anyone know of anything better in that price range?

Nope. Grab it at that price. I'm pretty sure it was £100 yesterday when I looked. It dips in and out of sale from time to time. £83 is good.
Original post by SMed
Nope. Grab it at that price. I'm pretty sure it was £100 yesterday when I looked. It dips in and out of sale from time to time. £83 is good.

That's what I figured. Other retailers have them for 100+.

Total order is 90 with delivery.
Reply 6877
That's what I figured. Other retailers have them for 100+.

Total order is 90 with delivery.

Free delivery if a member at AVForums and/or Hexus. But you need a certain amount of posts and time as a member. It's not very much, you should start now so you get it free delivery next time. You won't get it in time for this sale, if it's a 1 day only sale or something.

Same with OcUK; become a member there. It takes much longer to get free delivery. OcUK are usually more expensive than other places, but sometimes they have sales which will make them the cheapest. I got the Asus 6850 for £90 a few months ago with free delivery. About 2-3 weeks later it was £85 something, which was the cheapest around at that time.

Go for it because that card retails higher, remember an adapter if you got a vga connector on your monitor.
Original post by hassi94

It's the hardest part, everything else is easy, there's something seriously wrong with building pieces if it takes longer to stick something down than actually building it ¬¬

Latest

Trending

Trending