The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SMed
No. And depending on the case, you don't need any additional mounting bracket. My Fractal R3 has 2.5" mounting holes on all the HDD caddies.

Yes.

What do you think of the Fractal R3? I'm thinking of getting one (low noise is my main priority) but apparently the door is plastic which put me off a bit. Having said that, I've not seen any negative reviews of it.
Original post by Iqbal007
1 x CPU Fan connector(s)
3 x Chassis Fan connector(s)
1 x Optional Fan connector(s)

It's probably 4pin........but regardless 3 pins work as well on the 4 pins.
And I've found a pic of the board, they are all 4 pins. The 3 pin fans usage on the 4 pins on the motherboard have a little plastic bit sticking out which tell you where to put the 3 pin connector on the 4 pins.

So you can have 1 cpu cooler fan and 4 additional fans.
And you can add more depending on your power supply using a molex converter

Ahh sweet thanks a lot.

I think 4 fans should be enough, I didn't really want an odd number was all.
Original post by und
You're right. It's weird then that when I bought my X58 motherboard back in 2009, it came with different "SATA II" and "SATA III" cables. :dontknow:

Well I think the 3.0 versions can handle the 6gb thats it supposed to and is certified for it
Original post by Chow mein
Ahh sweet thanks a lot.

I think 4 fans should be enough, I didn't really want an odd number was all.

:/ why even?
Including your cpu fan you get 5 :tongue:
:/ why even?
Including your cpu fan you get 5 :tongue:

Haha I mean 4 case fans.

Well I didn't wanted a different number of fans on the front and the back so that airflow wasn't too unbalanced.
Haha I mean 4 case fans.

Well I didn't wanted a different number of fans on the front and the back so that airflow wasn't too unbalanced.

What case?
What case?

Cm 690 II advanced. It can fit 5 140mm fans, would you say I should use a molex adapter and get all 5 in?
Cm 690 II advanced. It can fit 5 140mm fans, would you say I should use a molex adapter and get all 5 in?

I got a CM 690 II lite, pretty much identical, 2 x140mm on the side, 2x 140mm at the top.
Everything else is 120mm apart from one 80mm space on the left.

Didn't a molex adapter come with your case with the fans that are pre-installed?
Best way to ensure airflow, side are intakes and front, back and top are exhaust
Reply 7188
Hmm.. Have I made a mistake by ordering a Corsair 550D to replace my absolutely HUGE Lian Li X1000, and to join in on the whole quiet computing trend? Currently my overclocked i7 can reach 75 degrees on full synthetic load and that's with a Noctua NH-D14, so I hope the restricted airflow in a quiet case won't be a huge problem. Does anybody have any experience with quiet computing? Did you have any issues with cooling? I guess I can always add some fans in the future but then again I could have just bought a case with all those fans in the first place, and saved a bit of money too...
Original post by und
Hmm.. Have I made a mistake by ordering a Corsair 550D to replace my absolutely HUGE Lian Li X1000, and to join in on the whole quiet computing trend? Currently my overclocked i7 can reach 75 degrees on full synthetic load and that's with a Noctua NH-D14, so I hope the restricted airflow in a quiet case won't be a huge problem. Does anybody have any experience with quiet computing? Did you have any issues with cooling? I guess I can always add some fans in the future but then again I could have just bought a case with all those fans in the first place, and saved a bit of money too...

(x2) 200mm Fans, (x1) 120mm Fans

I think if you get the right bladed fans, then it should certainly be kept cool.
Reply 7190
(x2) 200mm Fans, (x1) 120mm Fans

I think if you get the right bladed fans, then it should certainly be kept cool.

200mm?? Where do you suggest I put two of those, seeing as the 550D can't take them? :tongue: Do you mean I should get some 140mm fans and put them at the top of the case as exhaust fans? Surely that would defeat the purpose of a quiet case. Hmm...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by und
200mm?? Where do you suggest I put two of those, seeing as the 550D can't take them? :tongue: Do you mean I should get some 140mm fans and put them at the top of the case as exhaust fans? Surely that would defeat the purpose of a quiet case. Hmm...

http://www.corsair.com/obsidian-series-550d-mid-tower-quiet-case.html

Their page gives contradicting views :/
Maybe it's a typo.
You can get silent fans and change the speed of them.
Reply 7192
Original post by CurlyBen
What do you think of the Fractal R3? I'm thinking of getting one (low noise is my main priority) but apparently the door is plastic which put me off a bit. Having said that, I've not seen any negative reviews of it.

Love it. Plastic door doesn't bother me, mine is under the desk anyway. But I still think it looks fine. It replaced an Antec 300 which had zero cable management and was hideously grey inside. It's pretty quiet, and I haven't really got expensive quiet/slow fans. They are 1000rpm fans though which are fairly quiet I guess. There is one 1200rpm rear fan that is the only one I can really hear much of. It comes with a fan controller, but it's a bit **** and I think mine is broken anyway, but I got my case for £40 second hand.

But yeah, I haven't seen any negative reviews either.
Reply 7193
Haha I mean 4 case fans.

You should look up positive and negative pressure cooling in cases.
Reply 7194
Original post by und

I previously ran a 2500k in an Antec 300 with only 2 exhaust fans and no intake ones, because it was too noisy for me. I ran Prime for 30 minutes at 4.5GHz with a Gelid Tranquillo and it never cracked 70 degrees. Gaming rarely cracked 50 degrees. GPU stayed around 70 degrees on a 950MHz OC'd 6850. I'm now in a Fractal R3 with 2 intake and 2 exhaust fans and I get the same temperatures when gaming, but I haven't run Prime yet in this case.
Original post by und
It would be really, really slow.

How slow? I currently use it as a HDD for my TV using a usb to sata kit and it runs fine, plus I have a few avi movies on it
How come your using that motherboard?
Cos it's not worth it considering it's a mATX and case is quite large.

At some point in the future ill be getting a matx case becuase i personally prefer them. That case im getting at the moment is just becuase its saving me money.
Original post by woofwoofkapow
At some point in the future ill be getting a matx case becuase i personally prefer them. That case im getting at the moment is just becuase its saving me money.

Oh ok, btw the mATX will be limited compared to a standard ATX...so be careful when you think about upgrading in the future.
Oh ok, btw the mATX will be limited compared to a standard ATX...so be careful when you think about upgrading in the future.

In what way will be be limited?
Original post by woofwoofkapow
In what way will be be limited?

Compared to a standard ATX of a similar price, that mATX comes with less usb, less sata connectors and less room for expansion in the future such as getting an extra graphics card to keep your pc going in terms of graphics.