Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Before buying PC please ask our advice first!

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quotidian)
    I seen a 2gb one on the amd website I think.

I like the look of that case and psu and it also will save me a bit of money too.

I looked at SSDs but the price put me off, what size would I need to hold the OS and also some applications?
    Well the speed of the 6850 will become a problem before the 1GB memory will.

As for SSDs, 256GB would be great but 128GB will still fit the OS and plenty of applications on (just not many games). You can get a 128GB Crucial M4 for £85 from Ebuyer right now but if you keep a look out on this website it'll probably be £75 over the next week or so (it keeps dropping below £80).
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently thinking on this setup:

CPU = I5-3570k All rounder, very good for gaming
    MB = Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H Decent motherboard and good for it's price
    RAM = Corsair Vengeance Red 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit Pretty Good
    PSU = OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w Silent SLI Ready ATX2 Modular Power Supply
    HD = Seagate 500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Barracuda Hard Drive 7200RPM 16MB CacheGood
    Graphics = Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1gbIf your buying this for gaming, you could push it
    Optical drive = Samsung S222BB 22x DVD+/-RW SATAThe Liteon 24x one is good as well
    Case =Sharkoon T9 Value Gaming Case Black with Green LED Fans

Whats the main difference between http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...lue-green.html and http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...951012381.html ?

Is there much difference between the 1gb and 2gb graphics cards?

What affect does the cache on the HD have, ie. the 1tb HD has a 32mb cache but the 500 only has 16mb? Would I be better with just getting 1 x 500gb now and then possibly adding a second 500gb later?

I'm sure I'll think on a few more questions later.

Thanks
    Al
    Here's the link for what Hassi's talking about:

CM enforcer with CM 650 watthttp://www.ebuyer.com/270605-cm-stor...-1000-kwa-650w

CM 690 II with CM 650 watthttp://www.ebuyer.com/220862-coolerm...le-rc-692-kka3 I actually bought this one

You thought about pushing to a 6870http://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1...w=1024&bih=677
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is g skill ram decent or should I stick to corsair?
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is g skill ram decent or should I stick to corsair?
    There both pretty good makes in general
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    I dont why, but I thought I would have some fun on Alienwares site with custom components.

£340 to get 6870hd in crossfire

Seriously people need to stay away from them, cos 2 decent makes of 6870hd should cost £240-260...that extra £120+ is crazy.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

What do you think of this rig:

• CPU
    Intel Core i7-2600K Processor 3.4Ghz @220

• RAM
    Corsair CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9B 4GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Blu Memory @20

• GPU
    EVGA GTX570 @ 210

• MOBO
    Asus P8Z68-V LX @ 80

I've already got a SSD which I love as well as a case. What kind of power do you think this will need?

Any substitutions in these price ranges are welcomed.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    Can anybody help me find a decent GPU for £200 or less? I've invested in a 7970, but I've pushed my max budget far beyond what I'm ready to pay. The 7970 cost me £350.

Build so far-
    i5 3570k
    Gigabyte Z77 D3H
    8GB G.Skill DDR3 1666mhz
    OCZ Modular 600w PSU
    Sharkoon T9 case
    ADATA 120GB SSD
    500GB HD 7200rpm
    500GB HD 10000rpm
    What do you mean by you've invested in a 7970 and spent £350 but you need a <£200 GPU? I don't understand.

Also why do you have 7200 and 10000 rpm drives? They're pretty pointless to get if you're using an SSD. I'd get a 5900RPM 1-2TB Drive and a bigger SSD, you don't need speed on a storage drive.

P.S. Moved here as Tech Society is not for rig building advice.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beepbeeprichie)
    Hey guys,

• CPU

• RAM

• GPU
    EVGA GTX570 @ 210

• MOBO
    Asus P8Z68-V LX @ 80

I've already got a SSD which I love as well as a case. What kind of power do you think this will need?

In my opinion:

Get 8+GB RAM (8 would be great unless you just want to throw more money at it which I doubt ). Get a Radeon 7850 instead of GTX 570, runs a lot cooler, with less power and approx. just as powerful (whilst being cheaper). I'd also personally go for Ivy Bridge (along with a Z77 motherboard) for the extra £20 or so.
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

• CPU

• RAM

• GPU
    EVGA GTX570 @ 210

• MOBO
    Asus P8Z68-V LX @ 80

Wouldn't it be better to get the latest tech for a bit more? Especially as their new and new updates should increase their performance in the future. If your gonna be doing some serious hyperthreading, get more ram.

But at least 550-600 watts which is 80plus certified should do well with it, but get a bit more as a safety net.

Plus Hassi94 is quite right, 7850 performs really well and from £170 its a pretty good deal.
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    Can anybody help me find a decent GPU for £200 or less? I've invested in a 7970, but I've pushed my max budget far beyond what I'm ready to pay. The 7970 cost me £350.

Build so far-
    i5 3570k
    Gigabyte Z77 D3H
    8GB G.Skill DDR3 1666mhz
    OCZ Modular 600w PSU
    Sharkoon T9 case
    ADATA 120GB SSD
    500GB HD 7200rpm
    500GB HD 10000rpm
    Your statements a bit confusing, can you make it clearer please?

But everything else seems fineish
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Wouldn't it be better to get the latest tech for a bit more? Especially as their new and new updates should increase their performance in the future. If your gonna be doing some serious hyperthreading, get more ram.

But at least 550-600 watts which is 80plus certified should do well with it, but get a bit more as a safety net.

Plus Hassi94 is quite right, 7850 performs really well and from £170 its a pretty good deal.
    ATI? Never!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    ATI? Never!
    Well you can say that but the 7850 is a far better card than the 570. Alternatively you could wait for the 660 and see what that's like.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can some1 help me out please.
    My Laptop screen keeps going pure white at random intervals.
    It's a new laptop i think its only 3 months old and i've accidently stepped on it :/
    Does any1 know how i can fix this problem?

There is only something wrong with the screen because i connected an HDMI port to my laptop from the TV and i was able to see what was happening (Like check my emails). I did this while the laptop screen was pure white
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    ATI? Never!
    Clearly you should stay off this thread........
    ATI have the best pound for pound performance card which is the 6850
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bahjat93)
    Can some1 help me out please.
    My Laptop screen keeps going pure white at random intervals.
    It's a new laptop i think its only 3 months old and i've accidently stepped on it :/
    Does any1 know how i can fix this problem?

There is only something wrong with the screen because i connected an HDMI port to my laptop from the TV and i was able to see what was happening (Like check my emails). I did this while the laptop screen was pure white
    Well in all honesty, the best thing you can do is get the screen replaced, especially if it's going pure white at random intervals............or there could be a loose connection
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well in all honesty, the best thing you can do is get the screen replaced, especially if it's going pure white at random intervals............or there could be a loose connection
    I don't really know how to get the screen replaced and i dont really want to pay the people at PC world £100 to replace the screen
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know how to get the screen replaced and i dont really want to pay the people at PC world £100 to replace the screen
    Didn't your laptop come with a 1 year warranty?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Didn't your laptop come with a 1 year warranty?
    My uncle bought it as a gift from the USA when he was visiting so i don't really know
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    My uncle bought it as a gift from the USA when he was visiting so i don't really know
    Suggest you ask him, it's also possible to get it fixed in the UK maybe.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Clearly you should stay off this thread........
    ATI have the best pound for pound performance card which is the 6850
    It was a joke. Lighten up.
Updated: June 10, 2013
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.