The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by caiitlinz
Thanks for the help. How much difference would not using a quatro make? I ask because I have a usable monitor here, and could put some more money towards it if it was really important. Or is it such a huge jump in price that I shouldn't consider it?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/workstation-solutions.html

The low end ones around the same price as the 560ti
Reply 7301
Thanks for the help. How much difference would not using a quatro make? I ask because I have a usable monitor here, and could put some more money towards it if it was really important. Or is it such a huge jump in price that I shouldn't consider it?

The Quadro workstation cards that are sold for several thousands of pounds are actually based on the same chips as gaming cards, but with different firmware and drivers. Despite this, a Quadro will still significantly outperform a gaming card in CAD, and a gaming card will be much better for gaming. I guess if you're not going to be doing any gaming on your computer, then one of the cheap Quadros might give you better performance at a similar price.

Like £400+

Probably won't make a massive difference unless you're a real professional looking for every possible advantage.
Original post by Chow mein
Pretty similar to the build I'm about to do. Have you thought about a non reference 670 for a little extra? Asus DirectCU top or gigabyte windforce are both really good, I'm going for the Asus.

something i will have to look at do you have any links to both of these
NEW MACBOOK PRO 15" WITH RETINA DISPLAY WITH 2.6GHz

OR
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G75VW/

GOT THE MOONIES BUT NOT A FINAL DECISION! :/
Original post by kaddiescandy

OR

That's a hard choice to be honest.........I'm more of a windows guy and certainly do like Asus, hence why i would say the Asus.

But it all depends on what you wanna do with your laptop
Original post by Iqbal007
That's a hard choice to be honest.........I'm more of a windows guy and certainly do like Asus, hence why i would say the Asus.

But it all depends on what you wanna do with your laptop

I plan on using bootcamp on the mac to have best of both worlds!

I will be using to
Game on fifa, cod, gta and other such games
video editing for my youtube channel
school/ uni work
music
movies
general web surfing
etc
I plan on using bootcamp on the mac to have best of both worlds!

I will be using to
Game on fifa, cod, gta and other such games
video editing for my youtube channel
school/ uni work
music
movies
general web surfing
etc

I think you don't get the same value for money in terms of spec to price.

OR

About the same price . The ASUS has a fair bit better graphics. It's also ridiculously chunky and massive - I can guarantee it'll never leave your desk (except to move from one desk to another). The ASUS has massive storage, but slower. The ASUS will (probably) not be able to run mac OS - and it would be illegal at any rate whilst the Macbook can run both operating systems.

The ASUS is a powerful windows desktop replacement. The Macbook is a stylish and portable laptop with a lot of power under the hood too.

It does sound like you've already made up your mind. The Macbook will be plenty capable of running most games with a 650m at medium/high whilst the ASUS will manage max settings on most.

And with regards to fifa - my calculator could probably run it.

EDIT: Missed a pro for the ASUS - larger screen (even if the resolution is smaller - with your usage you won't make any use out of anything > 1080p)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hassi94
Yeah basically, the Veloce i7 is really top of the range stuff - would be an excellent PC.

I just priced up the Veloce i7 (I'm building a very similar machine) and they've put an extra £150-200 premium on it which isn't so bad really, and my build didn't include windows 7 so it could be argued they're adding a £100-150 premium :smile: Just depends if you need to buy windows 7 or not.

If you do decide to build, you can PM me if you want because I've researched loads of prices and stuff for that build so I could link you things :smile:

Since you were so informative last time I've decided to quote you for this post, feel free to reply at your pleasure. :smile:

So my parents have agreed to fund me for a new PC, but they're against the idea of me building it, and I'm rather lazy as it is. I think I'm willing to give a £100-200 premium if it means I have a 3 year warranty in case anything goes wrong.

So, I've decided to buy one. I've been on Dino PC since it seems like the most reasonable place to buy one.

I have a few questions, though: (this is a gaming PC, want to run games like Guild Wars 2, Skyrim and anything new that comes out in the next 6-7 years on medium/low settings)

1. Is the i7 worth the investment over the i5? Will it give a massive boost in performance?

2. I'm thinking the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670, but if I opt for the NVIDIA GTX 570, is this a massive downgrade compared to both the AMD HD 7870/7950? Or am I not missing out on much? Is the GTX670 worth the investment in the long haul (5-6 years)?

3. Any point getting a water cooling system? Is it MUCH quieter than a fan?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate this.
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Since you were so informative last time I've decided to quote you for this post, feel free to reply at your pleasure. :smile:

So my parents have agreed to fund me for a new PC, but they're against the idea of me building it, and I'm rather lazy as it is. I think I'm willing to give a £100-200 premium if it means I have a 3 year warranty in case anything goes wrong.

So, I've decided to buy one. I've been on Dino PC since it seems like the most reasonable place to buy one.

I have a few questions, though: (this is a gaming PC, want to run games like Guild Wars 2, Skyrim and anything new that comes out in the next 6-7 years on medium/low settings)

1. Is the i7 worth the investment over the i5? Will it give a massive boost in performance?

2. I'm thinking the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670, but if I opt for the NVIDIA GTX 570, is this a massive downgrade compared to both the AMD HD 7870/7950? Or am I not missing out on much? Is the GTX670 worth the investment in the long haul (5-6 years)?

1. In terms of gaming, very little, even worse cos of hyper threading
2. It certainly would be the new range from Nvidia certainly do much better, even better than the 580 and is a good investment, play anything that is coming out on top settings.
3.Well apart from being quite expensive, you could just get a after market cooler to keep temps down.

Which one you buying?
1. In terms of gaming, very little, even worse cos of hyper threading
2. It certainly would be the new range from Nvidia certainly do much better, even better than the 580 and is a good investment, play anything that is coming out on top settings.
3.Well apart from being quite expensive, you could just get a after market cooler to keep temps down.

Which one you buying?

Cheers! In that case I'll stick to i5. Should be fine.

Thinking of the Mass Effect i5 @4.3 (the ~£700 one) (I cringe at the fact that they named it this, but anyway), but upgraded with:

Corsair H60 Water Cooler
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB
600W Xigmatek

Which leaves me at £980.

Noob question: Is it worth getting the i5 overclocked as soon as I buy or is it just a hassle?
(edited 11 years ago)
Cheers! In that case I'll stick to i5. Should be fine.

Thinking of the Mass Effect i5 (I cringe at the fact that they named it this, but anyway), but upgraded with:

Corsair H60 Water Cooler
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB
600W Xigmatek

Which leaves me at £980.

Noob question: Is it worth getting the i5 overclocked as soon as I buy or is it just a hassle?

Did you get the i5-3570k and 8gb ram at 1600mhz?
By the way, that motherboard on it isn't amazing, I would say quite bad.

Only the 3570k in the i5 range can be overclocked....and not really, you could start off slow, it will take a few bios changes.

i7 is not worth it for gaming and general use. Will only help in specific tasks (which I doubt you'd use - hardcore video transcoding and mathematical processing :tongue:).

Definitely go for the 670 will you're looking at 6ish years without replacement.

I'd say there's no need in water cooling (those Corsair HXX series are not really water-cooling anyway - the Xigmatek Loki will do just fine and will be pretty quiet, quieter than case fans probably!).

With regards to overclocking - which Mass Effect i5 are you looking at? There's one that's preoverclocked. If you're talking about the other one, you'll need to upgrade to a i5 3570k processor and a Z77 motherboard.

Oh and overclocking is super easy - takes about 10 seconds and you're done :tongue: You probably won't need to at first but if you're looking for that extra little bit of performance it doesn't hurt :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Has anyone heard of HeidePC, because I'm seriously cracking up looking at the pc's they are selling and how people are so easily being duped into buying their crap.

So I call on upon fellow tech lovers, we need to stop this...........cos seriously its BAD

like this http://www.heidepc.de/de/-Gamer-PC-/Gamer-PC-System-Ivy-Bridge-Intel-Core-i5-3450-4x-3.10-Nvidia-GTX-560-Ti.html

Gamer PC-System Ivy Bridge Intel Core i5-3450 4x 3.10 - Nvidia GTX 560 Ti for around £900

But it gets worse on Amazon....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/HeidePC-allrounder-GENERATION-bluray-combo-cardreader/dp/B004NMUQ5U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&m=A27L2JJ9XI8CDM&s=generic&qid=1339536373&sr=1-2

HeidePC® allrounder NEW GENERATION AM3 890GX BluRay WIN7 PC AMD Phenom II Quad-Core 3.2 GHz, ASUS M4A89GTD PRO / USB3, 2 GB DDR3, ATi Radeon HD 4290, 500GB SATAIII 6Gb/s, bluray-combo, cardreader intern, Win7 £600

Yes £600 for that crap, they are still selling this outdated piece of tech for this much, you cant be serious..........have a look at the rest seriously :facepalm:

Has anyone heard of HeidePC, because I'm seriously cracking up looking at the pc's they are selling and how people are so easily being duped into buying their crap.

So I call on upon fellow tech lovers, we need to stop this...........cos seriously its BAD

like this http://www.heidepc.de/de/-Gamer-PC-/Gamer-PC-System-Ivy-Bridge-Intel-Core-i5-3450-4x-3.10-Nvidia-GTX-560-Ti.html

Gamer PC-System Ivy Bridge Intel Core i5-3450 4x 3.10 - Nvidia GTX 560 Ti for around £900

But it gets worse on Amazon....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/HeidePC-allrounder-GENERATION-bluray-combo-cardreader/dp/B004NMUQ5U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&m=A27L2JJ9XI8CDM&s=generic&qid=1339536373&sr=1-2

HeidePC® allrounder NEW GENERATION AM3 890GX BluRay WIN7 PC AMD Phenom II Quad-Core 3.2 GHz, ASUS M4A89GTD PRO / USB3, 2 GB DDR3, ATi Radeon HD 4290, 500GB SATAIII 6Gb/s, bluray-combo, cardreader intern, Win7 £600

Yes £600 for that crap, they are still selling this outdated piece of tech for this much, you cant be serious..........have a look at the rest seriously :facepalm:

To be fair, I just priced up the first one for about £600-£650 to build. So expensive but not 'we need to inform the authorities' expensive :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hassi94

Oh and overclocking is super easy - takes about 10 seconds and you're done :tongue: You probably won't need to at first but if you're looking for that extra little bit of performance it doesn't hurt :smile:

Haha, that reminds me of building my first PC (I was 10, and I'm a little older than most on here) when a new motherboard/CPU combination meant half an hour checking you had the jumpers for FSB and multiplier and all the rest to avoid blowing it up! Mind you, back then I remember reading in PC World magazine that motherboards, cases and graphics cards weren't interesting enough to review..
Original post by CurlyBen
Haha, that reminds me of building my first PC (I was 10, and I'm a little older than most on here) when a new motherboard/CPU combination meant half an hour checking you had the jumpers for FSB and multiplier and all the rest to avoid blowing it up! Mind you, back then I remember reading in PC World magazine that motherboards, cases and graphics cards weren't interesting enough to review..

Haha yes things have come a long way it seems! You were 10, though? That's crazy! When I was 10 I didn't even know building a computer yourself was even possible - it seemed totally alien (but then even just a few months ago some of my friends said 'you're building a PC, how is that possible? Don't you need like, a factory, or something?' :facepalm:).
Original post by hassi94
To be fair, I just priced up the first one for about £600-£650 to build. So expensive but not 'we need to inform the authorities' expensive :tongue:

But the amazon ones are seriously got issues, people are being writing a fake review to warn people about it loool
But the amazon ones are seriously got issues, people are being writing a fake review to warn people about it loool

Oh yeah that Amazon one is utterly ridiculous!

Latest

Trending

Trending