The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7340
Hi, im off to uni in september and im planning on buying this laptop:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-dv6-7053ea-15-6-laptop-12567128-pdt.html

I was wondring if i could get peoples opinions and experiences if they have one

Thanks
Original post by Dunn0

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-dv6-7053ea-15-6-laptop-12567128-pdt.html

Thanks

It's pretty disgustingly overpriced.

This kicks its ass all over the place:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/gbweb/LenovoPortal/en_GB/builder.workflow:colone:nter?sb=%3A000000F0%3A000002AF%3A&smid=7FD2534B6E5CE564EC125A129E819C97

Add a 630m if you want to do some light gaming. This laptop was £530 a week ago or so (now £600) so you may wanna wait since Lenovo discount very frequently.
Motherboard's arrived and I've just chucked everything together - tried to turn it on and the fans spin up then almost instantly turn off, then a couple of seconds later the cycle repeats until I turn the PSU power off. No display at all. I'm just on my way out so don't have time to properly troubleshoot now, but any obvious cause?
Original post by CurlyBen
Motherboard's arrived and I've just chucked everything together - tried to turn it on and the fans spin up then almost instantly turn off, then a couple of seconds later the cycle repeats until I turn the PSU power off. No display at all. I'm just on my way out so don't have time to properly troubleshoot now, but any obvious cause?

Do you have the 4 or 8-pin CPU connector plugged into the motherboard (from the PSU)?

This should be fairly obvious to anyone who's built systems over the last few years but someone like yourself may not realise that you need supplemental CPU power cables that need to be plugged into motherboards now :smile:

Oh - and if your PSU is old it might not actually have one of these!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Okay so first off I'm looking at the second ME i5 (the £750 one). So I'm thinking of not getting it overclocked (I have no idea what I'm doing and if anything does go wrong I'd kick myself, but if I did want to OC it I could presumably learn quickly).

I'll keep the Xigmatek Loki and won't bother with the water cooling then (as long as it can stay on for a good 7-8 hours a day, it doesn't really matter to me).

Now from what I've read, I need to update the mobo... in that case I feel like I want to upgrade to Asus P8Z77-V (since, presumably, a better mobo is better performance all round, but I doubt the Asus Maximus V Gene is worth the £10 for the added performance... correct me if I'm wrong).

And of course the NVIDIA670 and the 600W power pack, and that's what I'm looking to get. Comes out to roughly a grand which doesn't seem all that bad, considering the last computer my parents got for me was a crappy intel core 2 duo 500gig home computer with hardly any graphics power for the same price.

Any point upgrading the sound card? Seems pretty pointless.

If it's the 2nd one, then your motherboard is perfectly fine, going any better would be for mainly further expansions and some serious tech.
Plus you can get that version overclocked professionally, so you won't ever have to touch it to overclock it and it does come automatically with an aftermarket cooler to handle the excess heat.

You won't get much out of the more expensive motherboards in all honesty, the one that comes with it has more than enough support for you.

Plus I would certainly be looking at getting the 700watt, as it will come overclocked already and your using a gtx 670, it would be wise to have some spare capacity so the system is stable with power.

well I dunno about soundcard, depends if your planning on hooking it up to a good set of speakers.
Original post by Dunn0

Thanks

As Hassi said, for that kind of price you would expect so much more, you get an i5 from £400 brand new on-line these days.

Look at ebuyer.com, dabs.com, also look at laptopsdirect they have good deals on
(edited 11 years ago)
http://www.ebuyer.com/368520-gigabyte-gv-n670oc-2gd-gv-n670oc-2gd

Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3X 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card

£317.99

forgot who, but someone was looking for a decent 670 over the palit version.
Original post by Iqbal007
http://www.ebuyer.com/368520-gigabyte-gv-n670oc-2gd-gv-n670oc-2gd

Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3X 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card

£317.99

forgot who, but someone was looking for a decent 670 over the palit version.

Original post by Chow mein
Hmmm yeah a lot of good things about Gigabyte on the net. Windforce up to £350 on dabs! You were lucky. Cheapest I seem to be able to find it is £340 on Novatech

Original post by hassi94
Do you have the 4 or 8-pin CPU connector plugged into the motherboard (from the PSU)?

This should be fairly obvious to anyone who's built systems over the last few years but someone like yourself may not realise that you need supplemental CPU power cables that need to be plugged into motherboards now :smile:

Oh - and if your PSU is old it might not actually have one of these!

Hmm slightly concerned my PSU doesn't have one of those, it is a few years old but I don't recall seeing a connector like that on the board. I've plugged in the main ATX power connector with a supplementary 4 pin connector right alongside it, and another 4 pin connector by the CPU which I thought was the power supply for it. I'll have to check when I get home. Last time I built a PC was 2006!
Hmm slightly concerned my PSU doesn't have one of those, it is a few years old but I don't recall seeing a connector like that on the board. I've plugged in the main ATX power connector with a supplementary 4 pin connector right alongside it, and another 4 pin connector by the CPU which I thought was the power supply for it. I'll have to check when I get home. Last time I built a PC was 2006!

The new motherboards have more power connectors.

Along with the larger 24pin one, there should a 4/8 pin one near the processor.
Whats the motherboard?
The new motherboards have more power connectors.

Along with the larger 24pin one, there should a 4/8 pin one near the processor.
Whats the motherboard?

It's the Gigabyte Z77 which has been posted on here, with the free cooler. I have connected a 4 pin plug near the CPU.
It's the Gigabyte Z77 which has been posted on here, with the free cooler. I have connected a 4 pin plug near the CPU.

Along with the 24pin plug as well?
Along with the 24pin plug as well?

Yep, I've connected 3 plugs in total - I think my PSU has a 20+4 pin connector, as well as a 4 pin CPU connector. The memory seems properly seated and I checked the power connectors, but haven't got further than that yet.
Yep, I've connected 3 plugs in total - I think my PSU has a 20+4 pin connector, as well as a 4 pin CPU connector. The memory seems properly seated and I checked the power connectors, but haven't got further than that yet.

did you connector the 20+4 connector in properly, the +4 bit pins have a certain way to put it in as dooes the 4pin cpu connector.

That's okay a 4 or 8 pin is fine.

And I'm not sure what else it could be. Try unplugging the power supply from the wall, pressing the PC power button 10-20 times and then take the motherboard battery out for a couple of minutes. Other than that it's probably a faulty bored :/
Original post by hassi94

Lol that price must have just changed as it was £348 yesterday!
I'll be a bit annoyed if it's a faulty board, it took ages to arrive! I'll strip it down to the bare essentials and see if it's a hardware conflict.. Still it's a lot easier to troubleshoot these boards than the old ones!
I'll be a bit annoyed if it's a faulty board, it took ages to arrive! I'll strip it down to the bare essentials and see if it's a hardware conflict.. Still it's a lot easier to troubleshoot these boards than the old ones!

Just hope it's not..........but is everything else installed correctly?
Just reinstalled my ram, still 3 beeps, should/can i return the RAM and try that as it was in like a cardboard thing and I had to cut the top open to get at it.
Original post by DannyR2811
Just reinstalled my ram, still 3 beeps, should/can i return the RAM and try that as it was in like a cardboard thing and I had to cut the top open to get at it.

you cut open the heatsink of the ram :eek:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/285074-12-three-beeps-asus-board

One continuous beep followed by two short beeps then a pause (repeated)
No memory detected

One continuous beep followed by three short beeps
No VGA detected

which one does the beep sound like?

Latest

Trending

Trending