The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iqbal007
From http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html, it definitely is an improvement, though you could do better, much better.

Aren't those mobility chips on the benchmarks? Seemed like he was referring to desktop versions.

Doesn't seem like a big enough jump though to a 550ti - I'd prefer just buying a second 4850 if he already has capabilities to add another one. Fairly sure that would outdo the 550ti in power
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Fat-Love
Aren't those mobility chips on the benchmarks? Seemed like he was referring to desktop versions.

Doesn't seem like a big enough jump though to a 550ti - I'd prefer just buying a second 4850 if he already has capabilities to add another one.

They do desktop ones as well, just click on the desktop graphics bit on the circles and than look up the graphics along with the games fps you want to look at.
He should save up for something better.
They do desktop ones as well, just click on the desktop graphics bit on the circles and than look up the graphics along with the games fps you want to look at.
He should save up for something better.

Ah kk - never realised that website also did desktop benchmarks.
Reply 8063
Original post by itsmyname
XFX ATI Raedon 4850 512mb or Evga 1GB 550ti ?

A 6850 can be had for a little over £80 or £70 secondhand. That would be much better than a 550ti.
Original post by SMed
A 6850 can be had for a little over £80 or £70 secondhand. That would be much better than a 550ti.

Do you have any experience of a second hand GPU? Kinda wary as it is second hand
Having recently put a build together using new components apart from the graphics card (reused HD5770) I feel it might be an idea to upgrade the graphics card. Is there anything better within a £100-150 price range?
Original post by R. Murray
Having recently put a build together using new components apart from the graphics card (reused HD5770) I feel it might be an idea to upgrade the graphics card. Is there anything better within a £100-150 price range?

in order of price:

6850, 6870, 560ti

power:

560ti>6870>6850

The other thing is that, you can pick up a 6950 for around £160, or go further for a 7850.
in order of price:

6850, 6870, 560ti

power:

560ti>6870>6850

Would you recommend any of those on a 500watts PSU? It's an Antec EA500 bought in 2007
Would you recommend any of those on a 500watts PSU? It's an Antec EA500 bought in 2007

6850 is under £100 and minimum AMD suggested i 500 watts.

6870 and 560ti should also work with 500 watts :smile:
hope the power supply is certified for efficiency.
6850 is under £100 and minimum AMD suggested i 500 watts.

6870 and 560ti should also work with 500 watts :smile:
hope the power supply is certified for efficiency.

It says something about being certified on the PSU itself
It says something about being certified on the PSU itself

should be 80plus, than it should be fine.
The 560ti is the best out of them, issue is that prices are a bit high for them
Reply 8071
Do you have any experience of a second hand GPU? Kinda wary as it is second hand

Yeah. I bought a used 460, it was fine. I also sold a 6850 and it was in perfect condition. I was trying to buy a used 7850 but they're too new to have many used ones out there that are cheap enough to forgo a new one. So I just bought a new one.

Better off buying one still with warranty left. They're very unlikely to be dodgy as the original owner could just RMA it and get a brand new one.
Original post by SMed
Yeah. I bought a used 460, it was fine. I also sold a 6850 and it was in perfect condition. I was trying to buy a used 7850 but they're too new to have many used ones out there that are cheap enough to forgo a new one. So I just bought a new one.

Better off buying one still with warranty left. They're very unlikely to be dodgy as the original owner could just RMA it and get a brand new one.

Where would you buy them from? eBay?
Is the Cooler Master Cosmos S a good tower case, contemplating getting that or the Corsair 600T Mid-Tower Case White Edition.
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Is the Cooler Master Cosmos S a good tower case, contemplating getting that or the Corsair 600T Mid-Tower Case White Edition.

I don't know much about the Coolermaster but I hear good things about the 600T.
It looks good and it's functional!

Read parts of this thread to see for yourself: http://www.overclock.net/t/831636/official-corsair-graphite-club

there both pretty good, the insides of the Cosmos seems much nicer
there both pretty good, the insides of the Cosmos seems much nicer

Yeah, liking the Cosmos coz it looks like a tank, but the Corsair looks really sleek, confused! :P

What about the Cooler Master HAF series?
Yeah, liking the Cosmos coz it looks like a tank, but the Corsair looks really sleek, confused! :P

What about the Cooler Master HAF series?

I know what you mean, it depends completely.
Cosmo is more about slience, portability, everythings in an organised manner.
While the Corsair is very strongly about good airflow.
Reply 8078
Where would you buy them from? eBay?

That's one place. I also get from forums with classifieds section, like AVForums, or Overclockers.co.uk (but you need to be a member for a long time to get access to this one).
I know what you mean, it depends completely.
Cosmo is more about slience, portability, everythings in an organised manner.
While the Corsair is very strongly about good airflow.

I see, good air flow is the most important though?

Latest

Trending

Trending