Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Before buying PC please ask our advice first!

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness is down to only 8 films! Help decide on the final 4 now! 15-07-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Does this PC sound good considering the money?

I've heard bad things about ebuyer, anyone used them? Any problems / issues?
    Cheers.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It seems fine for the money, I wouldn't worry about getting basic stuff like DVD romes drives from Ebuyer.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd get everything from 1 place to save on postage, and you'll definatly want another PSU with that.

The 6500 isnt going to be amazing for games if thats what youre after.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PieMaster)
    you'll definatly want another PSU with that.
    Is that because this one will be naff quality given the price or are you saying I need one that's bigger than 400W?

The 6500 isnt going to be amazing for games if thats what youre after.
    Does anyone know of any decent graphics cards for around the £60 mark then? Tah
    • 61 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steezy20)
    Is that because this one will be naff quality given the price or are you saying I need one that's bigger than 400W?
    Naff quality.

Does anyone know of any decent graphics cards for around the £60 mark then? Tah
    "Decent" is a relative term. One man's decent is another man's obsolete. For £60, you aren't going to get much better than the 6500. You get what you pay for I'm afraid.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've found the x550 to be good for games...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i was wondering what would be the general specs for a laptop that could handle decent games but still be practical for on the move. price limit is £1500.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pentium M 1.7+ or one of the higher end AMD Turions
    6600GO or Mobile x700 graphics chip
    1GB of RAM
    5400rpm hard disk

Getting speed and portability in laptop is going to get well over your budget, but if you don mind dropping down the detail a bit in games you should be fine within that budget
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    PieMaster you just spec'd a acer ferrari 4005 which i own only 1200 though not 1500
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A*s_wanted)
    Would a computer with a:

3.0 Ghz pentium 4 processor (800mhz FSB 2mb cache)
    1024mb memory
    250gb hard drive
    Windows Media Center
    DVD rewriter
    19" flat panel monitor
    Speakers, keyboard, mouse, tv tuner...
    Colour printer

Be OK at about £640? I'm thinking of getting one but I'm not really any good with all this computer pricing and stuff...
    looks dunny too shabs to me

i'ld go fer it

no gfx card tho, so maybe you might want to count one of those in to the final price. 19" flatpanel is amazing tho. they cost LOADS
    • 61 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A*s_wanted)
    Would a computer with a:

3.0 Ghz pentium 4 processor (800mhz FSB 2mb cache)
    1024mb memory
    250gb hard drive
    Windows Media Center
    DVD rewriter
    19" flat panel monitor
    Speakers, keyboard, mouse, tv tuner...
    Colour printer

Be OK at about £640? I'm thinking of getting one but I'm not really any good with all this computer pricing and stuff...
    Get an AMD based machine.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    I just got sick of people paying £1000 for a gloried word processor so hopefully this thread will reduce the profits of gready vendors and help members get a better PC.
    To wit: www.studentcomputers.co.uk.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Get an AMD based machine.
    An AMD based OEM media centre PC? :p: Find one and i'll be incredibly impressed!
    • 61 followers

ReputationRep:
    An AMD based OEM media centre PC? :p: Find one and i'll be incredibly impressed!
    Quiet you... I'm in Build Your Own mode...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    To wit: www.studentcomputers.co.uk.
    you get what you pay for. If you buy 2nd hand then you get 2nd hand quality. simple as
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just recently i was thinking of building my own computer, literally from scratch. but it will take too much efort and time. The only reason for building a new comp is so i can have a mother board with PCI-E slots. At the moment i have just PCI slots.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yakka)
    Just recently i was thinking of building my own computer, literally from scratch. but it will take too much efort and time.
    It gets quicker each time you do it; I can have a PC built and windows installed within 30mins.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It gets quicker each time you do it; I can have a PC built and windows installed within 30mins.

30 min dude thats insane!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not really, XP only takes 15-20 mins to install and putting the components of a relativly simple system together takes virtually no time at all.

Its only when you start messing around with SFF. watercooling, RAID etc that it starts to take hours.
Updated: June 10, 2013
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.