Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Before buying PC please ask our advice first!

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr4470)
    Get the Core 2.

With all due respect Ben, I prefer to do work I get paid for. We're not a 24\7 helpdesk.
    Thanks ! Was intending ot anyway, but was asking whether 0.16Ghz would make difference but for extra £100, not worth it.

EDIT -- Which is better?
    WXGA (1280 x 800) X-Glass OR WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) Standard
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lecter)
    Thanks !
    No problem.

EDIT -- Which is better?
    WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) Standard
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No problem.

WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) Standard
    Thanks again!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    With all due respect Ben, I prefer to do work I get paid for. We're not a 24\7 helpdesk.
    I know... that must have been misinterpreted cos it want meant to sound in any way critical
    I didnt really expect a reply before the 'deadline' (I had to order today cos its the last day of the double memory offer ), I just thought I'd post for the hell of it, and cos the thread title was asking me to post :p:

I'm guessing you might have interpreted the "ignorance is bliss" wrongly.. I'm referring to my ignorance of any deal better than that laptop I just ordered;
    If theres a better deal out there, I'd rather remain ignorant of it, since now that I've ordered it'd just make me miserable to know about it
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iknowmole)
    I have now finished building my system with a m2n-e motherboard and can confirm that kingston ddr2 value ram (512mb x 2 matched pair kit) rated at 667mhz, cl5 works. I have not yet installed an os so i don't no if it is at full speed, i will let you know.
    I'll wait on that before I order my other system
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    I'll wait on that before I order my other system
    I now have XP installed, it can see all of the RAM. But i don't know how to check what speed it is running at. Is the done in the bios or can it be done in the OS? Does anyone know how to do this?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iknowmole)
    I now have XP installed, it can see all of the RAM. But i don't know how to check what speed it is running at. Is the done in the bios or can it be done in the OS? Does anyone know how to do this?
    Download CPUZ, http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the link lecter! The RAM is running at 334mhz, which you double because the RAM is DDR2 to get the specified 667mhz (Is this right?) As for the latency timings they appear to be correct for CL5 RAM. So as far as i can tell my kingston ram is working correctly. Hope this helps.

PS I think problems occure with RAM that requires high voltages. Also i would highly recommend the M2N-E motherboard from my experience. The only down side is it does not have firewire, but then i don't really use it anyway, it would just be nice to have. And from what i have read you have to be careful with RAM compatability.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    does anybody here know where i can buy a desktop case????
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenThackray)
    I know... that must have been misinterpreted cos it want meant to sound in any way critical
    I didnt really expect a reply before the 'deadline' (I had to order today cos its the last day of the double memory offer ), I just thought I'd post for the hell of it, and cos the thread title was asking me to post :p:
    This is an advice thread, but its up to you whether you want to take it or leave it.

(Original post by BenThackray)
    I'm guessing you might have interpreted the "ignorance is bliss" wrongly.. I'm referring to my ignorance of any deal better than that laptop I just ordered;
    If theres a better deal out there, I'd rather remain ignorant of it, since now that I've ordered it'd just make me miserable to know about it
    The one you ordered is good except for the graphics and hard drive.

(Original post by Logan)
    does anybody here know where i can buy a desktop case????
    www.dabs.com
    www.ebuyer.com
    www.overclockers.co.uk
    www.tekheads.co.uk

Some others if you do a google search.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    =/ wellp, i think i cant get a desktop case for £30
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Logan)
    =/ wellp, i think i cant get a desktop case for £30
    Can you be more specific?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i have an atx mobo and am planning to switch from tower to desktop form due to the position of my table. WEll, actually, i find it more convenient to have a desktop case.

my maximum budget is £40.... =)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Guys after 3 weeks, I have ordered the pegasus 665 from rockdirect couple hours ago -
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0GHz, 4MB Cache
    XP media centre and external digital TV card
    7200 rpm 100GB SATA harddrive
    WXGA (1280 x 800) X-Glass 15.4 inch
    NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 256MB dedicated
    2GB DDR2 667MHz
    8x +/- Dual Layer DVD Write

Due to come mid/end of next week! Can't wait!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Guys after 3 weeks, I have ordered the pegasus 665 from rockdirect couple hours ago -
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0GHz, 4MB Cache
    XP media centre and external digital TV card
    7200 rpm 100GB SATA harddrive
    WXGA (1280 x 800) X-Glass 15.4 inch
    NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 256MB dedicated
    2GB DDR2 667MHz
    8x +/- Dual Layer DVD Write

Due to come mid/end of next week! Can't wait!
    If you dont mind id like to know what you think of it before the end of september please. A critical review would help me decide what to get at the beginning of october.

Thx
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Logan)
    i have an atx mobo and am planning to switch from tower to desktop form due to the position of my table. WEll, actually, i find it more convenient to have a desktop case.

my maximum budget is £40.... =)
    Sorry Logan, desktop-style cases are mATX\FlexATX only. Also, they only take half-height expansion cards...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghost101)
    If you dont mind id like to know what you think of it before the end of september please. A critical review would help me decide what to get at the beginning of october.

Thx
    Yeah sure, also if you go onto the www.rockdirect.co.uk, they also have a forum you can check out! bery useful!

This is benchmarks of Peg665 but slightly different setup!
    PC: Rock Pegasus 665 / T7600 (2.33GHz Core2Duo, 4MB Cache) / 1GB 667MHz / 120GB 5400RPM HDD / WSXGA (1680x1050) / Nvidia GeForce Go 7600 256MB
    Status: out of box, all updates applied, wireless/Firewall/BullGuard off

3DMark 2001 SE
    ==============
    1680x1050, no AA - 15492
    1680x1050, 2xAA - 12488
    1680x1050, 3xAA - aborted: no legible image
    1680x1050, 4xAA - 6447

3DMark 2003
    ===========
    1024x768 - 8390

3DMark 2005
    ===========
    1024x768 - 3546

3DMark 2006
    ===========
    1024x768 - 1930
    AND

(c) PC Plus, October 2006 (page 59)

Budget Mobile
    Rock Pegasus 665

The Pegasus 665 is exactly what Intel see many manufacturers doing with these new chips - dropping them into existing chassis to have laptops ready the moment the NDA has passed. This is essentially the same as the Pegasus 660, but with a Core 2 Duo processor. In this instance Rock has used the most affordable member of the new family, the T5500, which has a 2MB Level 2 cache, and operates at 1.66GHz.

This sleek black machine boasts a reasonable graphics subsystem in the form of the Nvidia GeForce G0 7600, and is accompanied by 512MB of DDR2 533MHz RAM and an 80GB hard drive to form a solid core. This specification isn't going to redefine benchmarks, but it's not outrageously mismatched for this budget chip either.

At 3.1Kg, the Pegasus 665 may be pushing its portability mantle, but not to the point of needing to be labelled a desktop replacement. The screen offers a good output in a variety of conditions, and the keyboard is comfortable to use. The real problem in the portability stakes is the six-cell battery; one hour and 20 minutes isn't long enough for a machine of this size.

PCPlus Verdict: 3.5/5

Rock Pegasus 665
    Price : £849 (£723 ex VAT)
    Supplier : Rock Direct (0870-9909090)
    Info : www.rockdirect.com
    Warranty : Three years' collect and return
    ----
    Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 (1.66GHz, 2MB cache, 667MHz)
    Memory : 512MB 667MHz
    Chipset : Intel 945PM chipset
    Hard Drive : 80GB, 5,400rpm SATA
    Graphics Card : 256MB GeForce Go 7600
    Monitor : 15.4in WXGA screen (1,280x800)
    Optical Drive : DVD +/- RW DL
    Speaker : Stereo
    Battery : 6 cell Li-Ion battery
    Ports : 3xUSB2, Firewire, DVI, Microphone, Headphone, S-Video, RJ45, RJ11
    Extras : 4-in-1 media card reader, v90 56K modem, Intel 802.11 a/b/g wireless
    Dimensions : 326x276x31mm
    Weight : 3.1Kg
    ----
    Performance
    SYSmark 2004 : 200
    Battery Life : 80 minutes (playing DVD with screen brightness to max)
    Memory Throughput : 3600
    Windows Media Encoder : 172 seconds (re-encoding HD 1,080p trailer to DVD quality sound and video)
    3DMark05 : 3300
    ---===+++< End of Review >+++===---

Note: all the above performance figures are approximately eyeballed 'cos the graphs had no actual figures apart from the gridlines.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thx for the link Lecter.

Ive been going through the 665 thread, and all i can say is that the customer service is ridiculously good. They are taking on board every suggestion being given. Sound like a very good company to me.

Prices quickly add up though.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Sorry Logan, desktop-style cases are mATX\FlexATX only. Also, they only take half-height expansion cards...
    this sucks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Logan)
    this sucks
    Smallest ATX case size is roughly 40cm high, 20cm wide and 45cm long. (tower)
Updated: June 10, 2013
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.