The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

6400 Intel Core duo > Pentium D processor 945 3.2 GhZ ?

And how much better is the 6600 than the 6400, worth the 70 odd quid more?
Reply 1041
Abdominal
6400 Intel Core duo > Pentium D processor 945 3.2 GhZ ?

And how much better is the 6600 than the 6400, worth the 70 odd quid more?

6400 has only 2MB L2 cache whereas the 6600 has 4MB L2 cache.

ghost101
Thx for the link Lecter.

Ive been going through the 665 thread, and all i can say is that the customer service is ridiculously good. They are taking on board every suggestion being given. Sound like a very good company to me.

Prices quickly add up though.

Very helpful, I called yesterday and the sales rep answered my questions and took my email address to send info which he did. Called today to say if I order today I could get it late next week rather than waiting 2/3 weeks. I told him I would discuss it with parents and 20 minutes latter got it all done!
Also, if you are student, you get 3% discount.

As far as I know, not many have Intel Core 2 Duos and compared to an Acer Aspire 9114wlmi only with a Intel Core Duo 2.0Ghz and 5400rpm HDD which costs more, the Rock Peg665 is a bargin. I would have ordered Zepto but doesn't have an established warrenty service. The latter is included in the price of the laptop as well as free upgrade to 7200rpm HDD 100GB rather than the 5400rpm 120GB HDD and XP media centre edition (with remote) instead of XP Home! Get a free case as well. I would also recommend the upgrade to the 1GB stick of RAM so can at least add another 1GB stick yourself.
Reply 1042
Hey everyone, I'm thinking of buying a new PC and I've just stumbled across this system.
What do you all think?Is it worth going for?
Thanks in advance:smile:
It looks ok i guess. Id want to know what the motherboard and PSU are. Ive noticed your exclamation mark after your graphics card. I just thought id tell you that its not very good. Its a low range card. Also, you want a better sound card to go with your speakers. Is windows XP included in the price? And what about some kind of warranty.
Reply 1044
ghost101
It looks ok i guess. Id want to know what the motherboard and PSU are. Ive noticed your exclamation mark after your graphics card. I just thought id tell you that its not very good. Its a low range card. Also, you want a better sound card to go with your speakers. Is windows XP included in the price? And what about some kind of warranty.

Sorry that exclamation mark was unintended, I copied and pasted that spec. Anyway I've put up a link instead. I'm not too worried about the speakers. I don't think Windows is included in the price.
The new pc looks fine, you should know that Cube sell pcs on ebay and they may be cheaper. Just put the same specs on ebay and one of Cube's listings should come up.

edit: no monitor or xp installation? in which case it isnt great value.

why not check out http://www.meshcomputers.com/

They may be more reliable when you need support.
Reply 1046
Yeah thats where I orginally copied and pasted the spec from. I'm avoiding Mesh like the plague we bought one for work and their system and service has been atrocious.
naddles
Yeah thats where I orginally copied and pasted the spec from. I'm avoiding Mesh like the plague we bought one for work and their system and service has been atrocious.

How about www.pcoption.co.uk, im not too sure how good their customer service or track record is (wont be too different from Cube), but they are fairly good value for money.

Their website isnt working properly at the moment though.
Reply 1048
ghost101
How about www.pcoption.co.uk, im not too sure how good their customer service or track record is (wont be too different from Cube), but they are fairly good value for money.

Their website isnt working properly at the moment though.

Thanks for the link:smile:Their base units certainly do look tempting.
Reply 1049
do you guys have any suggestions for an ATX midi tower case??? i have a budget of £70
Logan, if you're in the market for a power supply as well, I'd highly recommend the Antec Sonata II - http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/93403 - It's the case I'm using at the moment. It was an easy build, and is extremely quiet, which was quite a priority for me.

If you could reply regarding whether or not you need a power supply, and what your priorities are (low noise, good looks, durable, easy to carry to LANs etc...), that might help with further recommendations
Reply 1051
DoMakeSayThink
Logan, if you're in the market for a power supply as well, I'd highly recommend the Antec Sonata II - http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/93403 - It's the case I'm using at the moment. It was an easy build, and is extremely quiet, which was quite a priority for me.

If you could reply regarding whether or not you need a power supply, and what your priorities are (low noise, good looks, durable, easy to carry to LANs etc...), that might help with further recommendations

i like your suggestion.... but i want something that looks good and is quiet at the same time... those are the only two things that i really care for. =)
Reply 1052
naddles
Thanks for the link:smile:Their base units certainly do look tempting.

yup, base units look a BARGAIN!!!!!!!,
Reply 1053
Does anyone know any good review and/or price comparison websites. I'm looking for a new laptop (more on that once I've got a shortlist) and trying to find out information about the different models. I found pricerunner on google but don't know how reliable it is.
KieranP
Does anyone know any good review and/or price comparison websites. I'm looking for a new laptop (more on that once I've got a shortlist) and trying to find out information about the different models. I found pricerunner on google but don't know how reliable it is.

The mobile computing sub forum has indepth information regarding laptops. Also some of the stickys there have links to websites which do what you want.
Reply 1055
hey i want a very cheap desktop for uni and i found this one from staples

http://www.staples.co.uk/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=1357%2C1899,1382&webid=V385038&affixedcode=WW

the hard drive is a little small but im probably going to get an external hard drive

any thoughts on what else needs upgrading?

im probably only going to be using it for internet and downloading.

cheers
amo1
hey i want a very cheap desktop for uni and i found this one from staples

http://www.staples.co.uk/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=1357%2C1899,1382&webid=V385038&affixedcode=WW

the hard drive is a little small but im probably going to get an external hard drive

any thoughts on what else needs upgrading?

im probably only going to be using it for internet and downloading.

cheers

The price looks fine, and as long as all youre doing is going on the internet, playing music, and typing on word itll work fine. Nothing else needs upgrading for those needs. You could always in the future get additional RAM but dont expect any miracles for performance.

I am impressed by the price though, windows xp costs £60, a 15 inch TFT about £80, 512mb ddr2 costs £30, an 80GB HD costs £30, a penitum 524 costs £50 plus all other components. So this PC is worth less than the value of its components i think.
Reply 1057
Cant say I'm a fan of Emachines or prescott-core Pentiums, but at least the system has a graphics slot (and uses ATI onboard to begin with).
sr4470
Cant say I'm a fan of Emachines or prescott-core Pentiums, but at least the system has a graphics slot (and uses ATI onboard to begin with).

Yep, but as long as it works, you cant argue with the price. It would be hard to find another PC with equal or better performance with a monitor & xp for that kind of price.
Reply 1059
ghost101
Yep, but as long as it works, you cant argue with the price. It would be hard to find another PC with equal or better performance with a monitor & xp for that kind of price.

Does it come with a proper XP CD? Also, theres no warranty information and no returns policy..

Edit: its out of stock as well

Latest

Trending

Trending