The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

nope, for that those purposes £400 shoud be fine. certainly have a look at dell's laptops.
Thx...and also, apart from Dell, are there any other laptop brands you would advise. I like the look of some of the Acer laptops and also Toshiba, but I don't really know anything about reliability or general regards to some of these brands. Any help would be really appreciated. thx
Rock
dumdumdumdidum
Thx...and also, apart from Dell, are there any other laptop brands you would advise. I like the look of some of the Acer laptops and also Toshiba, but I don't really know anything about reliability or general regards to some of these brands. Any help would be really appreciated. thx

do not buy Acer. any of their laptops sub £1000 are awful. Toshiba are quite good, apparently.
olileauk
do not buy Acer. any of their laptops sub £1000 are awful.

:ditto:
just wondering how wold you set up three monitors for 1 pc?
Either using 2 non-SLI graphics cards, or by using something like a Matrox Tripple head adapter.
You can't game on that card, its an old 2D one.

To connect 3 screens without a new card you need:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gxm/products/th2go/

But remember - to drive 3 screens at the correct resolution in 2D is easy, but try playing a game and even top of the range cards will struggle. So a better option is to put 2 mid to high end cards in a system with two PCIe x16 slots and run them in non-sli (or crossfire) mode, that allows you to use upto 4 screens depending on the cards.
Reply 1949
olileauk
do not buy Acer. any of their laptops sub £1000 are awful. Toshiba are quite good, apparently.

seriously, don't! acer are ****

edit: i motion that all sentences referring to acer be exempt from the profanity filter. who seconds? :smile:
Or you can check out www.bournemouth-computer-sales.co.uk they are very reasonable and offer great support and installation:smile:
Reply 1951
What do you guys think of this?

HP TX1150EA
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/HP/TX1150EA/240221

I know, its like the swiss army knife of laptops/tablets.. Well, I had been looking at the TX1080EA for about three months and was about to buy one a couple of days ago. However, I saw this one.... and bought it instead, lol.

I know it is alot of money for what the specs sheet is, I probably could get the same performance or better for around £600, but look at what it's got!!

2GB Ram
160GB HDD
1.8Ghz TL-60 (old one was the TL-55)
12.1" HD Brightview monitor..

Extras,

stereo microphones..
not a bad camera, summin like 640x480 i bet..
touch screen
finger print scanner
wireless
digital TV tuner...

omfg, I can't wait for this to arrive... i can see myself not even tlkin to my girlfriend whilst im playin with this toy.. lol..

Common, seriously now, what do you think? Can you think of anything else it could have? I can't... oh year, it has a remote control too.

It doesn't have a Gigabit ethernet, I dont think so anyway, nor an "N" wireless... erm.. it doesnt have a digitalizer in the monitor.. so, it only places the mouse in the center of the presure of my finger.

And look, its only 1.92Kg... less than two bags of sugar...

Beats my old thing... Fujitsu Siemens, Amilo A1650.. ahh!! it sucks..

Andrew.
haha you bought something from PC World HAHAHAAHAHa *ahem* sorry
Reply 1953
I used to work there.. I GET DISCOUT, MUHAHAHAHAHA!!! lol...

Actually, you will find that PC World and the rest of the DSG International area are the cheapest suppliers of this system. GG, thnx :smile:..
:rofl: you paid £1100 for that?

ah well. I have an identically specced, 2 inch larger laptop, which weight 2.4 kg, and it cost me £720. only thing it doesn't have is the touch screen. (why the hell would you need one?)
Reply 1955
As I said above, you can get this type of spec for even less thatn you stated. If you had bothered to read the post. You do realize this is also a tablet/laptop? I also chose this laptop due to it's screen size being so small, I wanted a very postable laptop, my old one is 17".

I have thought about my purchase and I had the money to burn (from working at PC world). It should serve me well for university.

I doubt I will be taking my PC rig. Way too heavy to be lugging around - backwards and forwards from home and compus - when im not there.

As I said above, it really is a swiss army knife. I wan't the finger print scanner for development purposes, I do a lot of programming.

Thanks, Andrew.
let me state again. i have an identically specced laptop, in fact with a better processor. It's an HP dv230ea. it has a fingerprint scanner. and a webcam. and dual mics. and a card reader, tv tuner, wireless, and bluetooth. IT IS IDENTICAL bar the better processor and minus the touch screen.

and i know it's very portable, but i'd rather have a 500 gram heavier laptop which is 2 inches bigger and cost nearly £400 less.
Reply 1957
I could not find that model of laptop? I am doubting it is the tablet model then? I suppose it is each to their own, I had the money to waste and got a huge discount aswell.

Weight is a big factor for me, I carry my laptop everywhere (not literally) so the lighter the better; thats also why I went for the smaller screen.

I don't know why I wanted the touch screen, just because it had it I suppose. I'm greedy.

Andrew.
oh, i'm sorry, i made a mistake with the model number :redface:

it's the dv2530ea. it's not a tablet PC, no, it's a standard laptop.
Reply 1959
Yes, very nice laptop and good price; as I said, each to their own :smile:.

Latest

Trending

Trending