The Student Room Group

Employment Prospects Listed by Degree

The original article can be found here:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/higher/employment-prospects-ranked-by-degree-813783.html

I didn't originally write the article, so I'm not claiming that I wrote this or anything like that, but here are the degrees listed below, with the amployment prospects listed as a percentage next to them:

Dentistry 83%.
Medicine 87%.
Pharmacology & Pharmacy 68%.
Architecture 56%.
Civil Engineering 72%.
Chemical Engineering 59%.
Town and Country Planning & Landscape 48%.
Chemistry 34%.
Mechanical Engineering 59%.
Social Work 65%.
Celtic Studies 29%.
General Engineering 53%.
Physics & Astronomy 29%.
Mathematics 34%.
Law 20%.
Economics 42%.
Aeronautical & Manufacturing Engineering 49%.
Electrical & Electronic Engineering 51%.
East & South Asian Studies 45%.
French 40%.
Anatomy & Physiology 25%.
Computer Science 52%.
Middle Eastern & African Studies 36%.
Iberian Languages 42%.
Materials Technology 42%.
Biological Sciences 28%.
Italian 41%.
Geography 34%.
Russian 38%.
Business Studies 46%.
English 29%.
Archaeology 32%.
Anthropology 31%.
Psychology 29%.
American Studies 32%.
Sociology 30%.

The article was published in 2008. I'm not saying you have to take the percentages as being completely accurate beyond question, but I think they make for fairly alarming reading.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah, because a degree in celtic studies is really better than a degree in law :/
Reply 2
Percentage doing what? Going into a graduate level job? After what time period? Account for a lot of scientists doing further research? .....
Reply 3
CJN
Yeah, because a degree in celtic studies is really better than a degree in law :/

I wondered that myself, I couldn't believe that law had such a low percentage. Remember though, I cannot validate the complete accuracy of the figures published here, I merely posted them here as a means of discussion, and to maybe stimulate debate with regards to what people want to do at university.
Reply 4
Dnator
Percentage doing what? Going into a graduate level job? After what time period? Account for a lot of scientists doing further research? .....

I don't believe the timeframe was stated in the original article. The percentage I believe relates to the overall percentage of graduates from each degree being employed in a job which relates to their degree, or a job which their degree has contributed to them attaining. If they are employed for research purposes, I imagine that yes, this would be factored into the figures shown in the article.
Reply 5
Veterinary science should be at the top, it has >90% employment rate
Reply 6
Annaconda
Veterinary science should be at the top, it has >90% employment rate

Veterinary science was not listed in the original article, I don't believe, neither were subjects such as art and design, for example. However, I do not doubt that the employment rate for veterinary science is very high, as it is a very difficult subject to gain entry to at university, and it is also a very well regarded profession. Congratulations on studying it at Bristol.

All the best.
Reply 7
andrew1990
I don't believe the timeframe was stated in the original article. The percentage I believe relates to the overall percentage of graduates from each degree being employed in a job which relates to their degree, or a job which their degree has contributed to them attaining. If they are employed for research purposes, I imagine that yes, this would be factored into the figures shown in the article.

So apparently two thirds of all chemistry graduates are unemployed or in a menial job? :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Dnator
So apparently two thirds of all chemistry graduates are unemployed or in a menial job? :rolleyes:

Apparently so, or perhaps they are in jobs that don't directly relate to their degree? Then again, I wouldn't no, as I didn't write the article, I pasted the list from the article which can be seen in the link at the top of the page.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Dnator

They instinctively know not to mix ammonia and bleach when scrubbing out the toilets of their investment banking and business consulting superiors.
Reply 10
Joinedup
They instinctively know not to mix ammonia and bleach when scrubbing out the toilets of their investment banking and business consulting superiors.

Easy now.
Reply 11
Dnator

my brother did chemistry and a masters, started a phD and then changed his mind and became a primary school teacher so i guess he counts in that percentage :wink:
Reply 12
*absinthe*
my brother did chemistry and a masters, started a phD and then changed his mind and became a primary school teacher so i guess he counts in that percentage :wink:

Your brother's obviously doing something that he enjoys then, good for him.
Reply 13
HESA stats
http://www.hesa.ac.uk/dox/performanceIndicators/0809/se1_0809.xls in excel format.

Medicine, Dentistry and Vetinary Science doing well here - pesumably graduates in these subjects are accustomed to wearing rubber gloves :rolleyes:

So no indication what the Independent's table is actually claiming to tell us or how subjects were selected for inclusion (celtic studies I'm looking at you), fantastic :top:
I wouldn't place too much trust in that list.
Reply 14
andrew1990
I wondered that myself, I couldn't believe that law had such a low percentage. Remember though, I cannot validate the complete accuracy of the figures published here, I merely posted them here as a means of discussion, and to maybe stimulate debate with regards to what people want to do at university.

I read recently that only 30% of law students find work in practicing law, can't recall where but that might be why it scores low?
It appears that Law graduate may one day become synonymous with Tesco-worker. The statistics are frankly a little dubious.
Reply 16
What the ****? Law 20%? - this somewhat scares me.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
Thats because there are too many law grads for law jobs, has been for a while.....
Don't law grads have to do more training before they can practise law? That would explain why its so low.
Thing is though, a lot of those degrees will lead you into another area of work, or study. So say for expample Geography being at 34%, that could be bacause graduates go into different professions, like finance/planning/politics etc. and not just a Geography related job.

Same goes for pretty much the whole list, so I wouldn't use it to judge if you're going to be unemployed or not after your chosen degree.

Latest

Trending

Trending