The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Anyone got Xbox live working at Sussex?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
DanJonMin
On another note, as someone who missed the Freshers Fair, does anyone know how I can get in touch with the Video Games society short of turning up to their meetings?

www.sussexstudent.com/videogame

Jo
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 21
I just realised as SussexJo is reading this and we're not allowed to play xbox live if someone does figure out a way and post it here she could easily just go tell the IT people and then they would block it again...

If someone does go to video game society tomorrow night and finds out anything good there is PMs here. I would go but i have a exercise class at the gym and then a chemistry pubcrawl. :smile: I may pop in for 5 minutes though.
Reply 22
MHorman
I just realised as SussexJo is reading this and we're not allowed to play xbox live if someone does figure out a way and post it here she could easily just go tell the IT people and then they would block it again...
In the nicest possible way I have more things to do with my day than try to get people into trouble :smile: I have no plans to tell on anyone so don't worry about it. Do I sound that scary?!

Edit: There is obviously nothing to stop other people browsing this forum so as with anything else, don't say anything on here that you wouldn't want someone to read

Jo
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 23
where is this video game society?
Reply 24
TomHards
where is this video game society?

Fulton on tuesday Evenings, 6-9 i think, Like the 2nd or 3rd floor. 214 maybe...

I've been busy tuesdays lately so i've only been there for about 10 seconds once. They were playing Street fighter on the projector, looked wuite cool.
Original post by MHorman
Fulton on tuesday Evenings, 6-9 i think, Like the 2nd or 3rd floor. 214 maybe...

I've been busy tuesdays lately so i've only been there for about 10 seconds once. They were playing Street fighter on the projector, looked wuite cool.

sounds alright, might go along
Original post by MHorman
Hey, i just moved here and can't get it working.

The IT services people were no help, they just said, "we block xboxes"...

I have heard of other people using them on campus.

I've even tried registering the MAC address for the xbox on the IT services site but it didn't work.

Hi mate, Had a brainwave today and thought of changing your xboxs MAC address to the one you registered your laptop with. This means the ResNet thinks your xbox is the computer. Just tried it on mine and it worked :biggrin: give it a shot!
Reply 27
Original post by SaltyPiratePony
Hi mate, Had a brainwave today and thought of changing your xboxs MAC address to the one you registered your laptop with. This means the ResNet thinks your xbox is the computer. Just tried it on mine and it worked :biggrin: give it a shot!

Ok, so you're saying i have to register my laptop on the network.(not done this yet as i only use my pc) and then just change my Xbox MAC address to that and it works?

I'll have to go into the xbox settings and try and find out how to change mac address. I'll try just changing it to my PC mac address.
Reply 28
And i can't remember how to get to the page on the computer to see the MAC address
...:s-smilie:
Original post by MHorman
And i can't remember how to get to the page on the computer to see the MAC address
...:s-smilie:

gimme two secs, ill find it for you
Original post by MHorman
Ok, so you're saying i have to register my laptop on the network.(not done this yet as i only use my pc) and then just change my Xbox MAC address to that and it works?

I'll have to go into the xbox settings and try and find out how to change mac address. I'll try just changing it to my PC mac address.

this will work also i presume. What OS are you running? i can paste you a guide to find your MAC address without having to go on that sussex website
Reply 31
Wait, i meant the webpage where i can change the info...

When i get there i'll be able to see the comptuer MAC address but i can't remember how to get there...
Original post by MHorman
Wait, i meant the webpage where i can change the info...

When i get there i'll be able to see the comptuer MAC address but i can't remember how to get there...

Yes i know, but you can also obtain your MAC address via this method:

Open "Network Connections"2

Select your Local Area Connection and right-click, select "Status".

3In "Support" tab, click "Details"

.4Your MAC Address is the "Physical Address" listed in Network Connection Details

if you change the xboxs mac address to the same as the PC's, i imagine ResNet will think its your PC and Live should work. Try this and lemme know dude.
Reply 33

if you change the xboxs mac address to the same as the PC's, i imagine ResNet will think its your PC and Live should work. Try this and lemme know dude.

I went into the xbox and changed the Alternate MAc address to my PC one and then attached it and it didn't work.

I then brought my laptop out, found that MAc address, registered that with the uni and tried that on the xbox and it didn't work either...

I'm jealous yours works and mine doesn't...

I'll give it another go in the morning but as of now i'm confused...

Although, i couldn;t get my Laptop to workon the network because it only has XP SP2 and it needs SP3 or something.

Surely, this is a bit of an "out there" suggestion.

But would the MAc address for your laptop work on my xbox? If it works on yours? Or would that not work because it's different accomadation etc...?

PM it to me if you feel like trying that...

EDIT: Also, what do you have the OS etc set to on the sussex website setup thing?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by MHorman
I went into the xbox and changed the Alternate MAc address to my PC one and then attached it and it didn't work.

I then brought my laptop out, found that MAc address, registered that with the uni and tried that on the xbox and it didn't work either...

Although, i couldn;t get my Laptop to workon the network because it only has XP SP2 and it needs SP3 or something.

But would the MAc address for your laptop work on my xbox? If it works on yours? Or would that not work because it's different accomadation etc...?

EDIT: Also, what do you have the OS etc set to on the sussex website setup thing?

i've set it to laptop, whereas you have yours to pc, this may be why? i got my info from here - you could also try the bridge connection technique, but youd need another cable and ethernet slot which you can buy

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=471317
Original post by MHorman

Also, if you still have the Xbox's original MAC address, add it to the sussex ResNet and pretend its a laptop. This can be done by going on this site:

https://www.sussex.ac.uk/roaming/
Good Luck either way...
Reply 36
i've set it to laptop, whereas you have yours to pc, this may be why? i got my info from here - you could also try the bridge connection technique, but youd need another cable and ethernet slot which you can buy

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=471317

Ok, i swear i've tried exactly what you've said and what that guy has said and it doesn't work...

Stupid PC... I'm giving up for the night, will try again in the morning.

I am really confused as to why it doesn't work though when yours clearly does
I may try and get my laptop working properly and then try again but i don't see why that makes a difference...
Reply 37
Also, if you still have the Xbox's original MAC address, add it to the sussex ResNet and pretend its a laptop. This can be done by going on this site:

https://www.sussex.ac.uk/roaming/
Good Luck either way...
I've already tried that.. :frown:

Is there any other settings on your Xbox that you changed other than the MAC address to get it to connect? Mine connected to the network and then gave me some errors saying it couldn't connect to the internet...
Reply 38

Hey, after it not working this morning when trying to use my PC's Mac address i just check my college emails and had one from IT services...

"Hi Martin,

ITS have detected some abnormal traffic patterns from the ResNet connection in your room, relating to the MAC address "mymacaddress" We not from our logs that you were restricted by the ResNet firewalls this morning.

Please can you thoroughly check this device and make sure that there is no malware or virus' on the machine. I would welcome it if you could let me know once you have done this.

Many thanks

"

Woopsy... Abnormal traffic patterns apparently... Lol... That was me getting the xbox to get on the network and then it being blocked from attaching to the internet...
Original post by MHorman
Hey, after it not working this morning when trying to use my PC's Mac address i just check my college emails and had one from IT services...

"Hi Martin,

ITS have detected some abnormal traffic patterns from the ResNet connection in your room, relating to the MAC address "mymacaddress" We not from our logs that you were restricted by the ResNet firewalls this morning.

Please can you thoroughly check this device and make sure that there is no malware or virus' on the machine. I would welcome it if you could let me know once you have done this.

Many thanks

"

Woopsy... Abnormal traffic patterns apparently... Lol... That was me getting the xbox to get on the network and then it being blocked from attaching to the internet...

haha, they picked up on it then?

Quick Reply

Latest