The Student Room Group

My Timetable Is Horrific

I study Chemistry, so I expected my timetable to have a lot of contact time, but what I didn't expect was a 9am or 10am start every day. On a lot of days I only have 2 lectures but one is always very early! The obvious solution to this problem would be simply to doss a few lectures, but that becomes difficult thanks to the university's sigh in system.

I know there's more to uni than just going out and getting trashed, but at the moment I'm worried about being able to get out much at all :| I don't know what to do.

I'm actually considering changing subject to either biology or biochemisty, and not just because of this time tabling issue; I enjoyed biology much more at A level.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My boyfriend is in his last year doing chemistry and has 5 lectures in one day. I'm sure you can deal with 1 or 2. Plus 9 or 10 isn't THAT early. When did you start school? 8.30 or something? Stop being such a wuss.
Reply 2
Are you seriously thinking of changing course just because you'll have to get up early? :lolwut:
I'm in 9-5 nearly everyday.
Just suck it up and go out anyway then when your lectures finish go back to halls and sleep.
Seriously?

On Mondays I have one lecture at 1. That's it, and that's the only reason I have to come in... but quite honestly, I think it's good for you, even if it's early. On Friday some people on my course are going to have 5 consecutive lectures, and they're only in year 2.

This is uni, if you don't want to work, don't get into debt.
I have 1 9am start and that is my only lecture on a Wednesday, but the other days I don't seem to be finishing until 6, and tbf, I'd rather take an early start, than a late finish because then I've still got to get home, get showered, get myself ready to go out, finish essays, do reading, learn vocab etc.
Reply 5
tbh I think I've aquired this attitude from listening to my room mates who study english, music, etc, talk about their days off and 2pm starts, probably shouldn't listen to that.
I'm in uni 6 hours a week with wednesday and friday off and only 1 thing before 11 on one day.

MWAHAHAHA
Reply 7
:facepalm:
Reply 8
Chem will throw plenty of early morning starts my friend, i'd get used to it. But theres a somewhat grim sense of satisfaction at managing the early lectures after a night out. You can always come back and nap afterwards. If you do have a few extreme benders, then missing a couple of lectures isnt gonna kill you, just make sure you've got a buddy who does go so you can watch each others backs.

But essentially you'll be able to go out, perhaps not quite as much as you might like, but more than enough to keep you busy. Biology has no guarantees of being better, so bear that in mind too! If you chose chemistry before you came to uni you must want to do it to some extent so stick it out for a bit!
Reply 9
I had 9am starts 5 days a week last year, this year I have 4 (and one 10am start). Seriously, deal with it, just go out on the weekends.
Reply 10
It's pretty much the same with all the sciences. I'm in uni 9-6 every day now (fourth year), and even in first year I had 9am starts every day except Tuesdays, when it was a 10am lecture followed by a full day of lab.
You're just going to have to get used to it. At least you know you're getting your money's worth from uni
Ahahahaha, you have to go to your lectures!
:rofl:
Reply 13
Azmo
I study Chemistry, so I expected my timetable to have a lot of contact time, but what I didn't expect was a 9am or 10am start every day. On a lot of days I only have 2 lectures but one is always very early! The obvious solution to this problem would be simply to doss a few lectures, but that becomes difficult thanks to the university's sigh in system.

I know there's more to uni than just going out and getting trashed, but at the moment I'm worried about being able to get out much at all :| I don't know what to do.

I'm actually considering changing subject to either biology or biochemisty, and not just because of this time tabling issue; I enjoyed biology much more at A level.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Your complaining about having to get up and fro 9 or 10 o clock and then having to do two hours work! Thats pathetic and actuall quite insulting to anyone who is in the world of work.
Reply 14
Aren't you at liberty to pick out your lecture times?
You've have 8.30am - 3.00pm days your whole school life, why complain now. OP you're such a loser.
Calculate how much you're paying for each lecture/seminar. That'll make you rethink how much you can skip.
Reply 17
To be honest, I wish my lectures were early so I could get all my stuff done during the day and then go to work in the evening. My current timetable means I'm going to be 45mins late to work every Tuesday :/
I'm in five days a week with four of those as 9am starts, and I travel in so have to be away from the house at 8am. Three days I'm in all day (til 4pm or 6pm).

It's university- if you had a job you'd be working at least 8 hours a day. What's the difference?!
My full time summer/christmas job requires being at work for 6.50am. University is certainly not as bad as that...
(edited 13 years ago)
Complaining about that! I do Biology and had early mornings last year and plently of full days worth of work. Just go in and dont complain about them.

This year I have Tuesday 2-5/6, Thursday early morning 9-1 and all day Friday. Next year I have a 9am start EVERY day.

Biologists have to do early mornings as well you know!

Latest

Trending

Trending