The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
CookieDoughLove
Jesus ******* christ. Not wanting to be rude, but can you read? I've already explained around 4 times why I sit on the end.

Your right, of course, i'm such a selfish person. All because I decide to sit on the end of a row TO AVOID BEING ANXIOUS AND HAVING PANIC ATTACKS.

Your right, I must be selfish, for wanting people to use their damn manners when they ask if they can get past. How disrespectful of me. The people that continuously turn up late and disrupt others and refuse to say please or thank you, are the selfish ones.

Sit at the front. Sorted.
Reply 81
CookieDoughLove
Um why should I sit somewhere i'm not comfortable with just so people who can't get their arse in on time can sit down? If they turned up on time, they wouldn't have trouble getting to a seat.

I wouldn't mind as much if people actually have some ******* manners. But nobody seems to say please :mad2:

even if you are early, and chose to sit on the end, there are bound to be empty seats in the middle, and eventually you will have to move to let someone in.
Reply 82
ColdVein
They're not as bad as people who talk all the way through lectures, they should be shot.

Deffo...

Sometimes you can't help being late especially as it seems during the 2nd and 3rd year lectures seem to get dispersed across the campus so it's inevitable but people talking through a lecture really piss me off. Especially if they're sat just behind you :angry:
CookieDoughLove
I don't get worked over the first one or two people. But there were like 15-20 people late. I do understand people can't always be on time.

I'm not sure what it is. I feel panicky if I don't have direct access to an exit if I wanted one. I don't mind in say the cinema because the rows are fairly wide. But in lectures, you really are boxed in. I can't really explain why I don't like it.

Must have misunderstood your post then sorry. Lateness is inevitable I think. A bit like crime. It'll always happen. In a society of people that arrived 15 minutes early, anyone arriving on time would be seen as late? If you get me :P

Sorry to be a psychologist on you (and I'm not a doctor so my 'knowledge' is probably just stereotypical nonsense) but if you're prone to panic attacks, surely there's a deeper issue there you don't feel comfortable addressing on a public forum but if you could at least improve that, you might be more comfortable sitting in the middle without going into a panic attack.
You have to realise some people can't be helped being late at all. For example today I had a workshop, seminar and a lecture, all of them didn't have any gap time to get between the buildings, so let's say from my workshop at 11am-1pm I had 0 minutes to get to a different building- which is 10minutes walk that starts at 1pm till 2pm.

The class was already full, and seats were so spread out that it was annoying how some people leave gaps inbetween seats or put their bags there. It obviously wasn't just me being late, but other people with my timetable structure and etc, but it did feel bad that we were late and lecture was already started. But yes, it's not our fault we have to be late.
Reply 85
CookieDoughLove
Do they piss you off as much as they do me?

I've had a few lectures so far, and already it is really pissing me off.
I was in a lecture this morning when people were turning up like 20 minutes late. Some lassie said to me "can I get in" (meaning to a seat, I was on the end), I thought no you bloody well can't, you turn up late, make a racket, and then ask me to move, all because you can't be bothered to get your arse in on time. But I moved for her.

This mornings lecture wasn't exactly important, just an introduction but that's not the point. What if it had of been and I had been distracted because some muppet couldn't get in on time? I understand that sometimes it can't be helped that people arrive late but still, it irritates me.

It's ridiculous that some people turn up 20 to 30 minutes late. IMO people should only be allowed in late 5 minutes after the start time. After that, tough luck.

Anybody else with me on this?

I'm never late, I'm always early. I don't get irritated easily either.
What I hate is people sitting on ends when there is clearly space in the middle - then OBVIOUSLY you have to move for people (whether they be late or on time). I hate it even more when people huff and puff about it when they're the obstruction anyway. You should sit somewhere where you know you won't get bugged so that'll stop annoying you.

P.s. it's worse in a cinema when people are sat all apart then moan when people wanna get in. Your own damn fault!

Omg other people have wrote the same as me :biggrin:
Reply 86
Well it is annoying but if I am paying over 3 grand a year for fees then how dare they lock me out as a former uni I went to did, its not as if I am at school and not paying for my education.

I used to have some right prats at uni 2 years ago, they would arrive early and then moan at others for being a minute or two late despite the fact they were only early because they got taxis or buses to uni and I had to do a long walk uphill to uni as did other people.
danny111
If you can't turn up on time for a job then you have no hope of a career.

Not to mention that you could not get that job in the first place because you turn up late for your exams get no degree and would be late for the job interview anyway.

I'm sorry that was exaggerated but that is your logic from the other side of the coin.

job interview and exams are important.
lectures are far less important.

its all about having a sense of what matters in life
Reply 88
didgeridoo12uk
job interview and exams are important.
lectures are far less important.

its all about having a sense of what matters in life

Because they can suddenly muster up?
I think it's understandable at the beginning. People are learning where rooms are and car parks are full. It only gets silly when they're doing after a couple weeks in. Coming to a lecture 20-30 minutes late is ridiculous.
Reply 90
Honestly, everyone's late sometimes. Sometimes it's not even their own fault.

It annoys me when people talk really loud though. Once this happened, and a guy asked them to be quiet, and they came and had a massive go at him after the lecture for it O.O

I understand sitting on the end, but it can be annoying when people do that, especially before a lecture has started. Then you come in and continually have to ask them to move, it makes much more sense just to sit in the middle. and you don't have to move. Sometimes whole rows are blocked off by people sitting on the end, or people who come in late, for whatever reason, have to sit on the floor, when if everyone just moved like a few chairs up to start with it would have been avoided and they wouldn't have been disturbed.

Having said that, I am shocked people are so late this early, although I suppose people are going out for freshers. But still, I didn't miss anything in the first term and wasn't more than like 10 minutes late.
Reply 91
I<3LAMP
Yep they are annoying, but when you are late it is a little embarrassing the first few times when people are watching you and especially if the lecturer stops to let you sit down.

What I find more annoying is people talking/sleeping during lectures. Why turn up at all, at least the latecomer gives a damn?

Can you actually stop yourself falling asleep? I know I can't (regardless of what I do to keep myself awake, how much of a damn I give or how important it is that I stay awake). I'm just hoping I can record the lectures if I feel myself falling asleep. It's hard to predict though.
CookieDoughLove
I didn't want a seat in the middle. I chose to sit on the end, I don't like being boxed in..............

Regardless of where I sit, people coming in, and banging down the stairs and rustling around in their bag for paper and what not is distracting. There was someone who turned up late who disrupted an entire row just to sit down. That's just ridiculous, people should turn up on time, to avoid disruption, not to mention it's plain disrespectful to a lecturer.

It's fine when someone comes in, and quietly parks their backside somewhere without making a load of noise. But making lots of people move is another thing.

This would be possible if people like you didn't take up the end seats and leave a gap in the middle.

Also some people get out of other lectures late/ their lecture is on the other side of the campus.
(edited 13 years ago)
Meliae
Can you actually stop yourself falling asleep? I know I can't (regardless of what I do to keep myself awake, how much of a damn I give or how important it is that I stay awake). I'm just hoping I can record the lectures if I feel myself falling asleep. It's hard to predict though.

I used to bring a coffee with me to lectures or even a bottle of water to keep me occupied. I also like to write notes so I'd be writing away and busy so can't get bleary eyed. I must admit some lectures were dreadfully boring and did catch myself dozing off...but usually after a boozy late night.

If it really is an issue then a dictaphone will be a life saver and you can record from the beginning so even if you miss something you can catch up later! Some people bring in laptops to type notes so they are more awake also & can take notes faster.

There was this one guy who would just fall asleep every damn lecture in the front row and SNORE..Argh made me so angry. Everyone has a lil doze every now and again though. :wink:
CookieDoughLove
Do they piss you off as much as they do me?

I've had a few lectures so far, and already it is really pissing me off.
I was in a lecture this morning when people were turning up like 20 minutes late. Some lassie said to me "can I get in" (meaning to a seat, I was on the end), I thought no you bloody well can't, you turn up late, make a racket, and then ask me to move, all because you can't be bothered to get your arse in on time. But I moved for her.

This mornings lecture wasn't exactly important, just an introduction but that's not the point. What if it had of been and I had been distracted because some muppet couldn't get in on time? I understand that sometimes it can't be helped that people arrive late but still, it irritates me.

It's ridiculous that some people turn up 20 to 30 minutes late. IMO people should only be allowed in late 5 minutes after the start time. After that, tough luck.

Anybody else with me on this?

I have objections to these people who sit at the end of the row when there are seats available in the middle of the row. Just fill up the whole damned row from the middle and stop complaining about people moving past you in a busy lecture theatre when they're late. Do you know why they're late? No, you've just presumed that they have chosen to come in late. You've only caused yourself more hassle by not filling up the theatre from the middle.
I found it particularly annoying when people turned up late as it ruined my train of thought! And people whispering = :woo: lol . .
Reply 96
I<3LAMP
I used to bring a coffee with me to lectures or even a bottle of water to keep me occupied. I also like to write notes so I'd be writing away and busy so can't get bleary eyed. I must admit some lectures were dreadfully boring and did catch myself dozing off...but usually after a boozy late night.

If it really is an issue then a dictaphone will be a life saver and you can record from the beginning so even if you miss something you can catch up later! Some people bring in laptops to type notes so they are more awake also & can take notes faster.

There was this one guy who would just fall asleep every damn lecture in the front row and SNORE..Argh made me so angry. Everyone has a lil doze every now and again though. :wink:

Nah I fall asleep just as much while writing or doing things and caffeine does absolutely nothing for me. I was going to get a dictaphone but they're so expensive and my MP3 player records really well, so I'm going to try that to begin with.
Meliae
Nah I fall asleep just as much while writing or doing things and caffeine does absolutely nothing for me. I was going to get a dictaphone but they're so expensive and my MP3 player records really well, so I'm going to try that to begin with.

Do you have narcolepsy?
Reply 98
Meliae

Haha, I understand exactly where you're coming from. Last year during one lecture I fell asleep mid-sentence whilst note taking. Caffiene does little for me, keeps me going for about 10 mins.
I'm fine in exams though. I think it's just lecture theaters; warm, comfy, dimly lit, boring voice...
Reply 99
I<3LAMP
Do you have narcolepsy?

It's a long story, but I don't think so.

Latest

Trending

Trending