The Student Room Group

Getting into Oxbridge

Hey,
I couldnt find any appropriate sub category so here it goes,

I live in the middle east, however i study under the CIE/Edexcel boards and im currently studying AS level.

My question is that how hard is getting an admission to universities such as Oxford or Cambridge? or even a bit far but like MIT?

Word of mouth says its very difficult and usually "we are not the kind". Although i dont believe that since who would be the kind if we are not?

Just to make it a bit clear im studying Math (plus further), physics and applied ICT and im running on As for all four (maths being counted as two). Regarding the whole "out of school activity" im an assistant manager of a charity organization that my school runs and im also the head of public relations in there. I have been elected as vice-captain for the school's house, (sort of a council where school is split in four gorups, soft of like harry potter's school with their lion and serpent teams :p: ). Regarding work experience i've been doing something simillar to an internship at nestle's(and kitkat) factory as i learn from the engineering manager of the same company.

My IGCSE grades where As on maths/physics/ICT/business and B on english language as a first language (how ever the rest like eng. literature and Chemistry were Cs) [where i had a total of x4-As, x1 B and x3 Cs]

Oh and i want to study mechanical engineering then advance to aerospace and finally in astronautics.

So am i in good shape to apply? or should i just apply as an option to see what happens? and also do i lack anything?

Replies would be deeply appreciated.

Arian
Reply 1
There are a lot of international students at oxbridge and many of them are from edexcel and CIE boards. Your IGSCEs however are below average for an oxbridge applicant.
Reply 2
asdfg0987
There are a lot of international students at oxbridge and many of them are from edexcel and CIE boards. Your IGSCEs however are below average for an oxbridge applicant.

yes i did realise that, thou thankyou for the reply
Reply 3
arianabedi
yes i did realise that, thou thankyou for the reply

Don't let that put you off, I assume there are pre interview tests for your subjects, and with a decent personal statement and reference you might land an interview.
Reply 4
asdfg0987
Don't let that put you off, I assume there are pre interview tests for your subjects

:no:

Latest

Trending

Trending