The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It doesn't hurt much afterwards; it feels a bit like grazed skin, if anything.

As for the pain during - well, that's not really so bad either. I suggest if it's your first one though (which it sounds like it is) you go for something small - that way, if you can't tolerate the pain, at least you won't come away with half a design.. :smile:
Reply 2
Not aspirin or ibuprofen - probably you're best off reading about the breathing exercises for anti-natal women.

where abouts are you getting it done (on your body)
Reply 3
Where are you having it done? There isn't really any pain to speak of afterwards, just feels like sunburn, and the pain during is tolerable tbh.

If you really want, you can get some numbing gel for when you're getting it done, but it really isn't necessary.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
You can buy an anesthetic in cream from the pharmacy and use it one hour before and it will hurt less. It also depends where your getting it. If it is on or nxt to a bone it will hurt more.
i.e. belly no, back yes
But it doesnt hurt much and when ull finish u wont feel anything.
Reply 5
It's on my spine and yeah, it's my first one! I bet I'll cry!
vintage_007
It's on my spine and yeah, it's my first one! I bet I'll cry!

I had my first ever tattoo on my wrist, the tattoo-ist said I was brave for having it there seeing as I hadn't had any other tattoos in non-painful places, I know the spine is different buy y'know :p:

Afterwards there isn't really a great deal of pain tbh, it was just a bit tender to touch but certainly not painful enough to need paracetemol or anything, I imagine it would be the same for a spine tattoo.
Reply 7
Don't be a wimp! The pain is fine, and even if you do find it awful, think what you're getting out of it. There is basically no pain after, only if you rub it on something. I have tattoos on my ribs (both sides) and I lived!
I had my first ever tattoo on my wrist, the tattoo-ist said I was brave for having it there seeing as I hadn't had any other tattoos in non-painful places, I know the spine is different buy y'know

that's odd, my tattooist said the wrist was one of the least painful places to get tattooed - it hurt WAY less than my other ones!
I love the pain lmao..

OP, if you're going to be there for a reasonable time, the actual pain will fade after about 15 minutes when your endorphins kick in.. some areas will hurt more than others.

The main issue is feeling faint.. you need to keep your blood-sugar up, take a bottle of lucozade with you and eat something beforehand.. don't drink any alcohol or take any medication before as it can and will increase bleeding and make it harder for the ink to stay.

Music or conversation also help a lot.. the pain is 'bad' if you're sitting in silence and focusing on it.. so either take and ipod and/or a magazine, or chat to the artist..

Good luck anyway, you won't regret it afterwards, you might even enjoy it! :tongue:
Reply 10
cdsmith1990
I love the pain lmao..

OP, if you're going to be there for a reasonable time, the actual pain will fade after about 15 minutes when your endorphins kick in.. some areas will hurt more than others.

The main issue is feeling faint.. you need to keep your blood-sugar up, take a bottle of lucozade with you and eat something beforehand.. don't drink any alcohol or take any medication before as it can and will increase bleeding and make it harder for the ink to stay.

Music or conversation also help a lot.. the pain is 'bad' if you're sitting in silence and focusing on it.. so either take and ipod and/or a magazine, or chat to the artist..

Good luck anyway, you won't regret it afterwards, you might even enjoy it! :tongue:

Hey, thanks!

Haha do you like pain in general or just the pain from getting a tattoo? Can you compare the pain to anything I might have encountered?

They said it's going to take 2 and a half hours - probs not a brilliant idea to be getting my first one for that amount of time and on my spine. I'm terrified now!

I have issues with my blood sugar already, really don't want to faint! I promise to take lots of lucozade :smile:

I have a friend going with me for the first half hour so that should be okay... Do we think it's worth my mum meeting me for the rest of the time? I don't want to look like a geek haha!

Thanks for the help!
vintage_007
Hey, thanks!

Haha do you like pain in general or just the pain from getting a tattoo? Can you compare the pain to anything I might have encountered?

They said it's going to take 2 and a half hours - probs not a brilliant idea to be getting my first one for that amount of time and on my spine. I'm terrified now!

I have issues with my blood sugar already, really don't want to faint! I promise to take lots of lucozade :smile:

I have a friend going with me for the first half hour so that should be okay... Do we think it's worth my mum meeting me for the rest of the time? I don't want to look like a geek haha!

Thanks for the help!

Just getting tattooed to be fair lol, and pierced, it's more like a rush rather than an agonising pain or anything like that..

It's hard to compare the pain as it's quite unique.. I personally find the outline hurts more than the shading / colouring, some people say the opposite.. the latter feels like scratching sun burn, that's probably the closest description.. that feels like several tiny needles, whereas IMO the outline is like one thicker needle and feels kinda different.

But overall it's a great experience and the benefits are well worth it. Just don't worry yourself or anything, you'll be fine, just get a good sleep, eat breakfast and drink something with sugar as light-headedness isn't good. :smile:
Reply 12
For during, you can get yourself some EMLA cream, which is numbing cream which you have to put on 1-5 hours beforehand(I'd recommend trying to put it on for as long as possible, sometimes if you only put it on for an hour it doesn't work well).

After? Painkillers? :dontknow:
Wuss. :awesome:

Go have it done while stoned. Might work. *shrugs*
to me it feels like scratching sun burn

the needles arnt on you constantly so you do get a break from any pain you might have
Reply 15
bite your finger really hard to take your mind off the tattoo pain, it works quite well.
As far as these 'numbing creams' go, my artist has told me 1) the needle goes deeper than the cream absorbs and 2) with the amount of washing and wiping of the tattooed area, the cream won't stay there long..
Reply 17
Ways to relieve tattoo pain?

How about not getting it done in the first place?
Don't take aspirin before or after - thins the blood which means that it is harder for the ink to hold. Now I wouldn't put any aqueous cream or bepanthen on for at least 24 hours either, that's just me :biggrin:
It shouldnt be an unbearable pain (says the girl that almost cried last time!!! :biggrin:) - Just uncomfortable and as soon as the needles leave the skin it doesnt hurt. the worst part for me is the itching afterwards when its healing.