The Student Room Group

IELTS - should I include my result in the UCAS application?

Basically I took IELTS, but my scores are slightly lower then the required ones. Shall I include the results in my UCAS form to let the tutors know I am working on my English? Or do you think I should just leave out my results, retake the test and send new results to them if they give me a conditional offer?
I'm applying for competitive unis, like Oxford and LSE...

What do you think?

Oh, and I have high grades in high school (always had)... so no need to worry about that.
Reply 1
IELTS = International English Testing System. English language requirement for foreign students. Just in case... :P
i say leave it out if you didn't get something like 9.0

retake the tests and give them your results later if they request it
Reply 3
maghreblover
i say leave it out if you didn't get something like 9.0

retake the tests and give them your results later if they request it

9 is like maximum....
Which I unfortunately will never get in my life...:p:
Reply 4
ls123
IELTS = International English Testing System. English language requirement for foreign students. Just in case... :P

You can leave it out till you get conditional offer because there's no point showing the results which does not meet their requirements.
Reply 5
I was requested to get 7 in every single module, I got 7, 7.5, 8 and 6.5!
Reply 6
cazzy-joe
You can leave it out till you get conditional offer because there's no point showing the results which does not meet their requirements.

I thought that would show I'm working to improve my English...
cazzy-joe
9 is like maximum....
Which I unfortunately will never get in my life...:p:

I know 9 is like maximum, I got it at first attempt. The test is actually really basic so why would you tell yourself you'd never get 9? As long as you know the format of the test and do a bit of practice if you need to, then you should be perfectly fine.
ls123
I thought that would show I'm working to improve my English...

It would just show that you need to work on your English, not that you are working on it. Taking a test doesn't mean you practised or revised for it. I still think it would be best if you don't put it up and take the test later if they ask for it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Should I say I'm planning to take it in my statement, then? Or just not say anything about it completely?
Reply 10
Or can I enter it as 'pending'?
ls123
Or can I enter it as 'pending'?

In this case, I think you should put down your IELTS scores because its just one module which is off the mark and I think you should put another one as pending.

Congrats on your results. I got overall band 7 with 7 in all modules except one is 7.5.

P.S. that too on second attemp....my English sucks..:frown:
maghreblover
I know 9 is like maximum, I got it at first attempt. The test is actually really basic so why would you tell yourself you'd never get 9? As long as you know the format of the test and do a bit of practice if you need to, then you should be perfectly fine.

Wowww Super great for getting 9 at first attempt. You are the first person in my life who got 9 in IELTS.....

CHEERSS:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

My first attempt was 6.5 then improved to 7.
Reply 13
cazzy-joe
In this case, I think you should put down your IELTS scores because its just one module which is off the mark and I think you should put another one as pending.

Congrats on your results. I got overall band 7 with 7 in all modules except one is 7.5.

P.S. that too on second attemp....my English sucks..:frown:

ooh. So shall I enter one with my current score and another as "pending" ? I didn't think it was actually possible hahah
ls123
ooh. So shall I enter one with my current score and another as "pending" ? I didn't think it was actually possible hahah

Yes I think you should put it like that. Its absolutely possible.

Best of luckk
Reply 15
cazzy-joe
Yes I think you should put it like that. Its absolutely possible.

Best of luckk

Thanks! :smile: you too
Reply 16
ls123
Basically I took IELTS, but my scores are slightly lower then the required ones. Shall I include the results in my UCAS form to let the tutors know I am working on my English? Or do you think I should just leave out my results, retake the test and send new results to them if they give me a conditional offer?
I'm applying for competitive unis, like Oxford and LSE...

What do you think?

Oh, and I have high grades in high school (always had)... so no need to worry about that.

I'm the same situation.
I'm applying for PPE at Oxford and got a B in the CAE, instead of the A grade they ask for. I don't know what to do either...:confused: I'm afraid it would hinder my chances of getting an interview.
Reply 17
well i've thought about it and in my opinion it is quite logical that an application with a qualification is stronger... at least they know your level. the applicants with no qualification's level could be worse if you think about it.

Latest

Trending

Trending