The Student Room Group

PGCE Funding - Directgov student loans 2011

Hello,

Does anyone know if the usual funding is still going to be available for students doing a PGCE in September 2011?

I have applied and am currently filling in an application form for the usual student loans & grants but read a newspaper article a couple of days ago which suggested the government are cutting funding for education by quite a bit.. :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Hana_87
Hello,

Does anyone know if the usual funding is still going to be available for students doing a PGCE in September 2011?

I have applied and am currently filling in an application form for the usual student loans & grants but read a newspaper article a couple of days ago which suggested the government are cutting funding for education by quite a bit.. :frown:

The TDA website in regards to bursaries for 2011 says 'Training bursary rates for 2011/12 will be announced shortly.'

...I wouldn't hold your breathe though! It depends what your PGCE is in? If it's a shortage subject like Maths or Science they will still probably offer some form of incentives, but for Primary I'm not so sure, it's the lowest grant you get at the moment for a PGCE so they could scrap it all together?
The decision hasn't been made yet. The Spending Review reports on 20th October.
Reply 3
princessnavi22
The TDA website in regards to bursaries for 2011 says 'Training bursary rates for 2011/12 will be announced shortly.'

...I wouldn't hold your breathe though! It depends what your PGCE is in? If it's a shortage subject like Maths or Science they will still probably offer some form of incentives, but for Primary I'm not so sure, it's the lowest grant you get at the moment for a PGCE so they could scrap it all together?

:eek:

Does this apply for usual loans though or just the bursary from the University?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
:/
Hana_87
:eek:

Does this apply for usual loans though or just the bursary from the University?

You'll be able to get a loan to cover your fees and living costs from SLC but its your bursary from the university that might be substantially lowered or scrapped.
Reply 6
princessnavi22
You'll be able to get a loan to cover your fees and living costs from SLC but its your bursary from the university that might be substantially lowered or scrapped.

Ah - ok. Think that was only around a grand anyway - actually, maybe less.
Hana_87
Ah - ok. Think that was only around a grand anyway - actually, maybe less.

The minimum bursary you would get at the moment is £4k isn't it?
Reply 8
princessnavi22
The minimum bursary you would get at the moment is £4k isn't it?

Oops - yes.

Teacher Training bursary: PGCE UK and EU students are also eligible for a bursary from the Training and Development Agency for Schools2. The bursary is not taxable and not income-assessed. It is arranged by the School of Education on your behalf. The amounts of bursary are as follows:
PGCE course Amount of bursary

Primary level £4,000

Secondary level Business Studies £6,000

Secondary level Mathematics, French, German, Spanish, Biology,
Physics and Chemistry £9,000

Please note that arrangements for the TDA bursary for 2010/11 are subject to confirmation from the TDA. Please check the TDA website2 for the most up-to-date information.

Arghhh. When will i know?
Hana_87
Oops - yes.

Teacher Training bursary: PGCE UK and EU students are also eligible for a bursary from the Training and Development Agency for Schools2. The bursary is not taxable and not income-assessed. It is arranged by the School of Education on your behalf. The amounts of bursary are as follows:
PGCE course Amount of bursary

Primary level £4,000

Secondary level Business Studies £6,000

Secondary level Mathematics, French, German, Spanish, Biology,
Physics and Chemistry £9,000

Please note that arrangements for the TDA bursary for 2010/11 are subject to confirmation from the TDA. Please check the TDA website2 for the most up-to-date information.

Arghhh. When will i know?

End of Oct, 20th I think when they announce the spending
Reply 10
princessnavi22
End of Oct, 20th I think when they announce the spending

I'm screwed if they scrap it :cry2: :cry:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Hana_87
I'm screwed if they scrap it :cry2: :cry:

Me to :frown:
Reply 12
frankie_a
Me to :frown:

I'll be sooo annoyed - i understand our economy is in crisis, but without the help - we can't train..

It's a bad situation... :frown:
Reply 13
Hana_87
I'll be sooo annoyed - i understand our economy is in crisis, but without the help - we can't train..

Do not exaggerate! At worst the tax-free bursary will be lowered, though I do not expect this to be the case for primary given that it is the lowest at the moment, and there seems to be more emphasis on the importance of primary education than there was in the past; reintroduction of modern languages, for example. Besides, given the sizeable number of people who drop out of teacher training, never manage to secure a position, or drop out of teaching after a few years, the extra competition might be a good thing.
Hana_87

The thing is, that bursury is supposed to be an incentive to get people to train, not a bare necessity to be able to do it. (I don't think anyone doing a BA in teaching gets it.) But like you, without it there's no way I could afford to train, as I'd just get a £3500 loan, and no one can live off that for a year!

I was very very tempted to delay entry on to a PGCE another year (I've just started) but decided not to simply cos the funding situation was in such a dodgy position.

I would hope the £9k bursury for some subjects would be cut before they scrap the primary £4k one. However, as there are still not enough maths teachers, and oodles of people wanting to do primary (most likely without the bursury) this may not be the case.
modgepodge
I would hope the £9k bursury for some subjects would be cut before they scrap the primary £4k one. However, as there are still not enough maths teachers, and oodles of people wanting to do primary (most likely without the bursury) this may not be the case.

Exactly what I was going to say, well the bit at the end anyway. They still need people to become Maths and Science teachers, BUT being on a Maths MEC at the moment and speaking to the tutors, these have become more popular in recent times. BUT, I don't think the 9k bursary would be scrapped out right, as I know a fair few people on my course who initially wanted to do Primary Education, but switched to Maths because of more jobs available (not my case though!).

And I know that Primary teaching jobs are hard to come by, from conversations with friends who have a Primary PGCE (why my friend, who is almost fluent in French HASN'T done a Primary PGCE with MFL is beyond me!). I think the government would have no problem scrapping this incentive when there are already many primary school teachers out there.
Reply 16
linkdapink
Exactly what I was going to say, well the bit at the end anyway. They still need people to become Maths and Science teachers, BUT being on a Maths MEC at the moment and speaking to the tutors, these have become more popular in recent times. BUT, I don't think the 9k bursary would be scrapped out right, as I know a fair few people on my course who initially wanted to do Primary Education, but switched to Maths because of more jobs available (not my case though!).

And I know that Primary teaching jobs are hard to come by, from conversations with friends who have a Primary PGCE (why my friend, who is almost fluent in French HASN'T done a Primary PGCE with MFL is beyond me!). I think the government would have no problem scrapping this incentive when there are already many primary school teachers out there.

Given the vocational nature of teacher training programmes, I think it would be better to bring the number of trainees in line with the number of jobs actually available; there seems to be a real problem at primary level, and also in particular geographical areas; Scotland, for example. In this respect, I do not think it would be better to scrap the modern language incentive (if you can call it that) as you suggested, but introduce the modern language requirement across the board; slowly if needs be, and offering booster courses. In all honesty, I would rather money went to modern language graduates doing a primary PGCE than someone doing an education degree with QTS.

With regards to mathematics, the problem seems to me to be that the bursary has only attracted people interested in the money not the profession, which means there are a lot of disinterested and under-qualified people who drop out of the system after a year or two. Of course, the education sector is never going to get the top graduates in mathematics and science, but it seems to me that there must be a better way of recruiting teachers (i.e. creating better working conditions in the medium and long-term) that throwing money at the problem in the short-term and hoping some will stay on.

Just my two cents.
evantej
Given the vocational nature of teacher training programmes, I think it would be better to bring the number of trainees in line with the number of jobs actually available; there seems to be a real problem at primary level, and also in particular geographical areas; Scotland, for example. In this respect, I do not think it would be better to scrap the modern language incentive (if you can call it that) as you suggested, but introduce the modern language requirement across the board; slowly if needs be, and offering booster courses. In all honesty, I would rather money went to modern language graduates doing a primary PGCE than someone doing an education degree with QTS.

With regards to mathematics, the problem seems to me to be that the bursary has only attracted people interested in the money not the profession, which means there are a lot of disinterested and under-qualified people who drop out of the system after a year or two. Of course, the education sector is never going to get the top graduates in mathematics and science, but it seems to me that there must be a better way of recruiting teachers (i.e. creating better working conditions in the medium and long-term) that throwing money at the problem in the short-term and hoping some will stay on.

Just my two cents.

I agree completely with that. Especially the thing about people dropping out of the system. I'm sure I read somewhere that 20% of Secondary Maths NQTs drop out within 5 years (the statistic may have been higher)... and from just speaking to people on my course, there is quite a few "I wanted to do Primary, but its really hard to get onto, and Maths paid more"...
Reply 18
stayce88
Ive just started a post compulsary PGCE which wasnt free, it was another £3290 for a year.

Also even though the subject I want to teach was on the list as eligible for a £4000 bursary, the uni have told me today I wont be getting it as there wasnt enough bursaries to go around and some people had to miss out.

Due to this im now thinking of leaving the course altogether as I cant afford the living, travel, equipment etc expenses I need without a bursary.

Might find full time work for a year, save up and re-apply for the course next year (if it hasnt gone up to 7k course fees)

Oh my gosh this is awful.
stayce88
Ive just started a post compulsary PGCE which wasnt free, it was another £3290 for a year.

Also even though the subject I want to teach was on the list as eligible for a £4000 bursary, the uni have told me today I wont be getting it as there wasnt enough bursaries to go around and some people had to miss out.

Due to this im now thinking of leaving the course altogether as I cant afford the living, travel, equipment etc expenses I need without a bursary.

Might find full time work for a year, save up and re-apply for the course next year (if it hasnt gone up to 7k course fees)

What? It's a government bursery!! Surely the uni can't just decide not to give it to people - I don't think it even goes to them to give out. Especially after you've enrolled and presumably paid tuiton fees?? I'd definitely question that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending