The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just saw someone advert, and then believe it or not I wikipedia'ed ( <<< Fail ) it. I read a paragraph but only remember something about beliefs and supernatural or something.
Reply 2
I doubt it's anywhere near credible enough to call it a religion.
TheCurlyHairedDude
Just saw someone advert, and then believe it or not I wikipedia'ed ( <<< Fail ) it. I read a paragraph but only remember something about beliefs and supernatural or something.

Yeah, thats the problem. I can read it but its all the stuff I'd expect in any religion description. I just want a simplification of what it is and why everybody hates it lol
Reply 4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology_beliefs_and_practices

Give it a thousand years and it'll be the world's largest religion, I mean people eventually bought the idea of there being only one (ZOMG!"!"£) God, and him having a zombie son.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
It's something about aliens creating the human race, I think as an experiment and eventually they'll come back to earth to take us away to the promised planet.
You can only find out more once you pay the church of scientology enough money.
It appears to promote faith healing (hence the death of John Travolta's son last year I think)
There are confirmed cases of people who follow it completely cutting off communication with their families (even the cult acknowledges this)
Tom Cruise believes in it.
I think the last three points there are the main reasons why most people dislike it.
Reply 6
The main issue is that it's a big money making scam. Say what you like about the Catholic church and other religious organisations, none of them charge a membership fee. Scientology does. And the deeper into the "religion" you want to get, the more it costs. It was also made up by a sci-fi author who publicly said that starting a religion is a good way to make money.
they are hated because they have a bad habit of letting people die due to their advice and stalking/intimidating anybody who investigates them. tom cruise hs also done a lot of weird **** because of it.and there is the money making scam angle.
(edited 13 years ago)
Even if it is a "religion" (read: cult that's old enough to become the establishment), it is completely outlandish (apparently the universe is 80 trillion years old? :lolwut:), abrasive (it openly criticises and attacks psychiatrists for no reason, claiming they're linked to the Nazis and holocaust), secretive (you have to pay more to get access to their higher tiers of information), elitist (strict hierarchy within the church where if you pay more money, you get to laud it over the poorer members and rise up the ranks) and terrifyingly disciplined (they have a paramilitary wing known as the Sea Org that apes US Navy traditions down to the letter, and acts as their muscle, crews the Scientology cruise liner (yes, they have one :lolwut:) and does all the manual labour and dirty jobs, and what do they get paid? Well, actually, they pay the church for this privelige, and sign 1 billion year contracts - if they were armed I'd be scared). They persecute, with vitriol, those who criticise or even leave the church, spreading propaganda and using a crack legal team to make their opponent's lives miseries.

All in all, whilst I don't like religions in general, Scientology actually terrifies me because of the mindless insanity that pervades it's doctrines, the fact that they brainwash and then monetarily exploit their followers, the fact that they essentially employ organised slavery through the Sea Org, and their disgusting persecution of their opponents.
(edited 13 years ago)
Manitude
It's something about aliens creating the human race, I think as an experiment and eventually they'll come back to earth to take us away to the promised planet.
You can only find out more once you pay the church of scientology enough money.
It appears to promote faith healing (hence the death of John Travolta's son last year I think)
There are confirmed cases of people who follow it completely cutting off communication with their families (even the cult acknowledges this)
Tom Cruise believes in it.
I think the last three points there are the main reasons why most people dislike it.

So, if that's the case, why do people pay up in the first place? There's loads of religions that are free. Mormons are always struggling to find people to do their thing, door-to-door. Is it just the mystery surrounding scientology that makes it popular?

EDIT: Plus, if the MOD can't even keep their documents safe (there's always a leak somewhere), then how can a non-government organisation possibly do the same?
(edited 13 years ago)
SCIENTOLOGY IS A CULT

amirite?

:holmes:
Reply 11
I'm just waiting for someone to reference south park...
Reply 12
south park
a cult :ninja:
Reply 14
matthewdownloads
So, if that's the case, why do people pay up in the first place? There's loads of religions that are free. Mormons are always struggling to find people to do their thing, door-to-door. Is it just the mystery surrounding scientology that makes it popular?

EDIT: Plus, if the MOD can't even keep their documents safe (there's always a leak somewhere), then how can a non-government organisation possibly do the same?

I don't know the specifics, but I'd imagine they have some sort of powerful "hook" to rope in the people who can't see straight through it.

And perhaps they keep things secret via some sort of blackmail?

I reckon someone needs to be sponsored to investigate this further.
I know there was a program about scientology last night but it was made clear he was from the BBC.
Someone needs to go undercover.
It's the one true religion!

(edited 13 years ago)
Yeah I agree.
Give it 1000-2000 years and it'll be the biggest religion.
Currently we got some dude in the sky with a zombie kid and guerrila armies.

Scientology is basically some aliens craeted humans by throwing evil diatanes or whatever in a Volcano in Hawaii.
Oh and you need to pay to cleanse yourself.
much like you need to pray for the current god.
Theconomist
Yeah I agree.
Give it 1000-2000 years and it'll be the biggest religion.
Currently we got some dude in the sky with a zombie kid and guerrila armies.

Scientology is basically some aliens craeted humans by throwing evil diatanes or whatever in a Volcano in Hawaii.
Oh and you need to pay to cleanse yourself.
much like you need to pray for the current god.

How are they the same thing, out of interest (or 'similar', in case you're going to be pedantic :smartass: )?
Reply 18
WILL SMITH

(edited 13 years ago)
Blatant Troll
How are they the same thing, out of interest (or 'similar', in case you're going to be pedantic :smartass: )?

You need to dedicate yourself to your god.
In Scientology: by ''donating'' money
In Abrahamic religions: by not enjoying life and by praying

Much like sacrifices in the anciest egypt and greek religions.

Latest

Trending

Trending