The Student Room Group

"International Law"....Why are people afraid?

Globalization has accelerated with the growth of the internet (communications in general really :smile:) and the breaking down of trade barriers between different industries/countries.

International law is being pushed forward more and more because without this cooperation, countries (like the UK) will be at the mercy of the mistakes of other nations (disproportionately so), or vice versa.

Behind most of the negatives of this cooperation are theories which have little proof to back them up. They may be true but this outcome is highly unlikely.

International law does NOT have to be absolute to address issues which need global cooperation to be resolved or prevented.

International Cooperation =/= Absolute International government

What do you think? :smile:
I think that international justice shouldn't be subject to governments accepting it - the Hague should be much more powerful than it is at the moment, with the power to hold countries to serious account and co-operate with other international organisations to inflict punitive measures if, say, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights was breached.

Ultimately an international judiciary, chosen from the best judicial minds in the world with a range of political views, would be a strong asset in an increasingly fragile world.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Aphotic Cosmos
I think that international justice shouldn't be subject to governments accepting it - the Hague should be much more powerful than it is at the moment, with the power to hold countries to serious account and co-operate with other international organisations to inflict punitive measures if, say, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights was breached.

Ultimately an international judiciary, chosen from the best judicial minds in the world with a range of political views, would be a strong asset in an increasingly fragile world.

Where signatories breach there commitments...yes, action should be taken. I don't suggest we impose our will on non-signatories of any agreement, unless there actions affect the collective significantly.

Latest

Trending

Trending